Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews - 302 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Amazingly Reliable & never stalled out, ever!
By JOSHUA CACACE

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought this 2006 commander off the lot new. The Jeep was used as a test vehicle model for customers to drive.
It’s now July 21,2018 and we still own it with 94,000 miles. The only major mechanical problems we paid for was when the oil began to drip a little bit and had the seal replaced $300. Secondary it was the electrical braking system (EBS) and that cost us around $300 too.
The cowl panel that sits below the windshield wipers to keep moisture from rising up “Disintegrated”. I have no idea what happen to it. But we had no moisture problems leaking up from under The windshield anyway.
The back passenger door handle broke on the inside really easy when I bumped into it when loading up a 5 gallon bucket of edger blades into the back seat floor board to bring to the recycle plant. But now we have to replace the entire panel in order to open the door from the inside.
The Jeep is black too so in saying that the Florida sun has turned the fender flares almost bleach white from the 12pm-4pm sun beating down.
But overall within the 12 years I bought 2 new sets of tires and rims for her and I keep the oil change every 4,000 miles and it starts right up ever single day. It’s not a perfect vehicle but it is a damn reliable one!
But today I think we may have to sell it because we both lost our jobs within 3 weeks apart of one another and we never ever thought this would happen.

Comfort Jeep
By Larry

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best vehicle I have had. I have owned Jeeps since the 50's. This one beat them all. Comfort, goes anywhere, anytime in comfort. No issues with any mechanical items. Did the maintenance on the scheduled recommended for warranty. Bought extended warranty after the 5 years ran out. Never used it. Some maintenance was pricey but the vehicle has never failed me. Even when the battery is getting low it let me know by slow cranking. The Jeep is 12 years old looks new, has had three batteries, and three sets of tires. It is a Hemi, with the 8,6,4 cylinder running feature. On the road, I can get 24+ mpg. Around town it is 11 or 12. But I am a jack rabbit at stop lights...some of the lack of mileage is my fault. I am now 77 years old and do not plan to buy another vehicle. This one will go out with me. The vehicle has only 55K miles. 20K of which was very long trips. One to Panama, and two through Canada almost to Alaska. Performance with a lot of weight in back with all seats down did not seem to effect mileage or handling. Zero mechanical issues except for some wear in the driver position.

Best car I’ve owned
By MDD

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Rides nice, goes anywhere, tows or hauls everything I have needed it to. Bought it new 180,000 miles ago with the small V8 which is the engine I would recommend to others. The only downside is 15 mpg fuel economy but I never expected much better than that and for it’s age, weight and drivetrain, I’m not complaining.

Great SUV - Poor fuel economy
By KC Jensen

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I really really like this vehicle - it’s comfortable, reliable, roomy, quiet, smooth and fun to drive. I’ve had Jeeps for 18 years, I’ve loved them all. This one doesn’t dissspoint - and it’s much quieter than the old Cherokees. The fuel mileage sucks, however. I’m getting 11-12 mpg on short hops and my daily commute. 17-18 mpg on highway driving.

Perfect
By Pat Shea

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just what I was looking for totally satisfied great car for the money