Used 2016 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great value!
By Steve F

2016 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In the mid size sedan entry, it really came down to the Sonata or the Camry. I chose the Sonata because it was more aggressively priced than similar Camry's. I was not disappointed. Mileage on a recent trip was 39.8 mpg! Comfort of ride was my top priority; and this mid sized sedan rides like a full size sedan. It's not a "hot rod" and you're not going to blow anyone off the line with it; but I don't care about that. For me , a great value!

2016 Sonata
By Bernie Ryan

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

all around nice car, only thing I would improve is the road noise, I would like to see sound barriers put in all the wheel wells.

2016 Sonata Base Model
By Tayler B.

2016 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I upgraded to a 2016 Sonata after driving a 2002 Chevy Malibu for years. I absolutely love my car - the exterior is sharp and professional and the interior is spacious and comfortable. A top priority in a car for me is a strong road holding. The Sonata nails this. I feel safe and comfortable when driving the car and it really sticks to the road. The speakers are exceptional for a base model vehicle and the Bluetooth feature is a nice addition. The Sonata has great gas mileage. I use premium gas and one tank can last me 2 - 3 weeks. (I do not drive everyday, however). There is only one noticeable con. the car is made for a larger person. I am relatively short so it can be hard to parallel park, as I cannot see in front of or behind the car very well. A back up camera or beeper would fix this problems, however I do have the base model which does not include that feature. Overall, I would absolutely buy this car again (with back-up assistance) and will consider getting another one when the time comes. However, Hyundai is known for their long-lasting cars so I hope I am able to get many years of use out of my Sonata.

Always owned jeep or dodge, but wow
By Hal

2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Very good gas mileage, we average just over 32 on freeways and just over 27 combined. Lots of pep, never thought a four banger could have this much go power. Front seat are comfy and driver headroom is great. I am just over 6'3" and I fit. Back seats while comfy have less headroom. It has very good lane keeping for the most part. I was able to go over 10 miles on a curvy highway without touch the steering wheel. It will lose track though on entrance/exit points and badly painted roads. For the most part it kept me near center of the lane without pingponging. Controls for the most part are logical and clear. Mapping is good but it took a little while to adjust to it. Pricing is very good if you are willing to call and insist on a final cost before arriving at the dealership. I got this for $30k out the door. Paint is normal, tires are good and pretty quiet but we will upgrade when needed. The only problems so far are the headlights leave an indent in the center, and there is a slight distortion in the glass in top center. You have to be tall to see it. Overall a great purchase, compared to the $50k luxury cars I was looking at.

Awesome Value! Got A Lot For My Cash
By Genette T

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Update-September 2018. I have had absolutely no mechanic or electrical problems with this car. However, I am itching for something with a little more power. So I may trade it in.

Purchased this car two years ago to replace a new 2016 Civic, that I found to be too small, with seats that didn't support well and uncomfortable on very long drives. If you have ever owned a Camry, this is the Korean version of one. The less exciting things are. 1) The 2.4L engine is rather tepid, if you think you are going to make burn-out marks on the street, you will be wrong. It kind of eases into highway traffic and you have to stomp on it (it will scream at you when you do), to get some good merging on a very busy and loaded highway. However, for regular surface streets, it accelerates well enough. Handling also is kind of on the sloppy side, so if you whip it around a corner at high speed, don't be surprised if it tries to whip you back. In other words, it gets a little bit floaty and may not go exactly where you point it. It will eventually settle down. Tire grip is okay, but the Kumho tires on it are not as quiet as some BF Goodrich's that I've used on other cars. They will be replaced by Pirelli's or BF Goodrich's. So, you wonder why I purchased it? I knew about the handling and tracking because I've rented this vehicle several times. The first reason is fuel economy. This car when driven continuously on the highway at around 70mph, gets about average 34 to 36 miles per gallon. Even in mix traffic, I very seldom get less than 32 mpg. In a 250 mile drive recently, where I had it cruising at 65mph, the car achieved, 39.75 miles per gallon. For a car that can easily handle four adult passengers, or 5 passengers with kids in the back, that is phenomenal. It is a very quiet cruiser, on very long drives there is not a lot of noise intrusion, which can increase driver fatigue. The entertainment system is very simple to use, with large fonts and nice size push buttons for phone, media, radio, blue-tooth and the like. It also works very well with my Android phones. The visibility behind the steering wheel is excellent to the front, sides and the rear. The trunk is very large and you can throw a lot of stuff into it. Also, the layout inside is simple and the quality of the materials is decent. Most important was the price. Getting the Sports model with twin exhausts (that make it look sporty, even though it is not), LED daytime running lights, the darker chrome in the front and then putting dark, tinted windows on it. Well, it looks like a design that although a little bit boring, well still look good in 6 years. At just over $21K, none of the other mid-size (large mid-size) cars could match it for the equipment and features One more thing, I have had no real issues with this vehicle at all and I'm at 39,000 miles. The entertainment system went weird after two months of purchase. Hyundai ordered me a radio, received it and installed it in about a week. It still has another 20,000 on the bumper to bumper warranty and more than a 100,000 on the powertrain.