Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (48 reviews )

Still a very substantial sedan for the money
By Daniel

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I was shopping for used, large, easy on the gas, vehicle, that didn't break the bank. What I got was 2011 Sonata Hybrid base. Paid $7990, mileage at 68k. The Sonata had only one owner. Interior/exterior near mint condition. First impressions were that the design is still quite prevalent 7 years later. The LED lights front and back, and hexagonal grill are still in style. The interior dash is quite pleasing and easy to operate. The leg room for a tall 6'2 is more than adequate, along with headroom. The driving experience is different than gas. When starting, there is no engine noise as the electric motor is in control. The noise when transferring to gas engine is minimal. Acceleration is decent, shifting is mostly smooth at times. Braking is sharp and that is a good thing! MPG is averaging 35/40. Getting 600-650+ per tank. My Sonata came with 4 brand new tires, brakes, and start battery. The electric battery pack still has 3 yrs or 32k left on the warranty. Hyundai is so confident about the battery that starting in 2012 they gave it a lifetime warranty, so I'm not worried of a failure. Bottom line: The 2011 Sonata Hybrid is still a substantial automobile with enough tech, design, comfort, and a great driving experience, for the average person.

This car almost killed me.
By SonataAlmostKilledMe

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

RUN as fast as you can away from Hyundai's Sonata 2011. I wrote a prior review "HybridRocks" after my first year of ownership. Last week I was traveling 75mph in the fast lane on the NJ turnpike and the car shut down--all electrical and the accelerator lost all ability to give power. Fortunately I was able to get to the side of the road and get towed. I had always had the car serviced and reg oil changes. It was towed and needed 3500 in repairs and I decided to junk it at 125k b/c it wasn't worth it. Dealer said they couldn't tell me if the engine still worked and if so that could have been 9K more. I had 125K on it. Never ever performed close to highway advertised mileage. Poor handling over time--it just got worse and worse. Constantly in the shop for engine light going off. But this was a cracked radiator, two broken belts, and who knows what all else. I'm just glad to be alive. I now know about two major class actions against Hyundai..lying about gas mileage and 2011 Sonata engine (except for the hybrid). Gas engine owners got money back but not hybrids. I will never own another gas engine car again and never EVER a Hyundai. They only care about profit not their customers' lives.

What a car!
By Dennis

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought this as a used Sonata Hybrid because my job has taken me to travel 60 miles each day and another 120 miles on Saturdays and I needed to get something better than what I was getting on my Caddy CTS. 22 miles per gallon (Highway). The first thing I noticed was the room inside was more than my Caddy and I was told in order to get the most out of this car, learn how to drive it. and I did now I get 45/51 miles per gallon. This is one awesome car. Now have 74,000 miles and the car looks new and runs as new.

Still sparking along
By Jerry

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

First generation lithium battery hybrid has performed very well in over 95,000 miles. No mechanical or body problems and very good mileage. Car looks brand new after 5 years of use.

Great car with some hesitation
By rla444

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I've owned this car since July 2011 and have over 64000 miles on it. My mileage has varied from a 35MPG
low to an amazing 56 MPG for a 15 mile trip. Average MPG for the life of the car until I changed tires this month was an actual 38 MPG. The car MPGgauge reads falsely high.
My driving is 90% highway, though this is my daily driver. Like others, I had a check engine light issue when I first bought it and was reimbursed for my time and trouble by Hyundai. The mileage is very dependent on style of driving, speed (the slower the better). I really like the regular transmission over a CVT like the Honda Civic Hybrid I owned.

Regular transmission, Large size and ride. Styling, stereo system with bluetooth. Electric assist on power.

Raise the passenger seat, It sits too low. Improve the hesistation on start, that is chronic and must be accounted for in driving. Correct the optimistic MPG gauge.