Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (47 reviews )

This car almost killed me.
By SonataAlmostKilledMe

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

RUN as fast as you can away from Hyundai's Sonata 2011. I wrote a prior review "HybridRocks" after my first year of ownership. Last week I was traveling 75mph in the fast lane on the NJ turnpike and the car shut down--all electrical and the accelerator lost all ability to give power. Fortunately I was able to get to the side of the road and get towed. I had always had the car serviced and reg oil changes. It was towed and needed 3500 in repairs and I decided to junk it at 125k b/c it wasn't worth it. Dealer said they couldn't tell me if the engine still worked and if so that could have been 9K more. I had 125K on it. Never ever performed close to highway advertised mileage. Poor handling over time--it just got worse and worse. Constantly in the shop for engine light going off. But this was a cracked radiator, two broken belts, and who knows what all else. I'm just glad to be alive. I now know about two major class actions against Hyundai..lying about gas mileage and 2011 Sonata engine (except for the hybrid). Gas engine owners got money back but not hybrids. I will never own another gas engine car again and never EVER a Hyundai. They only care about profit not their customers' lives.

What a car!
By Dennis

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought this as a used Sonata Hybrid because my job has taken me to travel 60 miles each day and another 120 miles on Saturdays and I needed to get something better than what I was getting on my Caddy CTS. 22 miles per gallon (Highway). The first thing I noticed was the room inside was more than my Caddy and I was told in order to get the most out of this car, learn how to drive it. and I did now I get 45/51 miles per gallon. This is one awesome car. Now have 74,000 miles and the car looks new and runs as new.

Still sparking along
By Jerry

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

First generation lithium battery hybrid has performed very well in over 95,000 miles. No mechanical or body problems and very good mileage. Car looks brand new after 5 years of use.

Great car with some hesitation
By rla444

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I've owned this car since July 2011 and have over 64000 miles on it. My mileage has varied from a 35MPG
low to an amazing 56 MPG for a 15 mile trip. Average MPG for the life of the car until I changed tires this month was an actual 38 MPG. The car MPGgauge reads falsely high.
My driving is 90% highway, though this is my daily driver. Like others, I had a check engine light issue when I first bought it and was reimbursed for my time and trouble by Hyundai. The mileage is very dependent on style of driving, speed (the slower the better). I really like the regular transmission over a CVT like the Honda Civic Hybrid I owned.

Regular transmission, Large size and ride. Styling, stereo system with bluetooth. Electric assist on power.

Raise the passenger seat, It sits too low. Improve the hesistation on start, that is chronic and must be accounted for in driving. Correct the optimistic MPG gauge.

Great hybrid car
By vabeachdriver

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have had my sonata since July 2011.
It has been great to me.
I do a lot of business travel and I am averaging no less than 38MPG on almost all my full tanks of gas 530-575 Miles between fill ups.
It has a very smooth ride and I have had no operation or performance issues.

The interior design. Everything about the navigation, audio system and the layout of the car is beautiful! I also love the LED accents on the headlights.

Would have been nice to have the 42-44 MPG that they first advertised, but they made good with the annual rebate!