Used 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis Coupe model:

Bang for your Buck
By June Z

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Alright first off* I owned nothing but 4door Sedans with All Wheel Drive (AWD) with turbo. If you are transitioning from that kind of rally platform this might be tricky for you. This car is Rear Wheel Driven (RWD). With those things to consider, the Genesis doesn't handle like those platforms-- You don't drive the car in that sense, it drives you. You trust the vehicle with all its electronics (e.g. safety, track control) and also the entering and exiting of turns etc. The rear window feels like driving a 350z or 370z where the visibility is INCREDIBLY low. HOWEVER, if you ARE transitioning from that platform there are way more positives than there are negatives. The interior is amazing if you get the Grand Touring 3.8. Leather seats, Navigation, AMAZING sounds, everything is customizable from the screen. The driver seat is adjustable to your height and comfort. The passenger has A LOT of room, Plenty of foot space, and if they wanted to be on their laptop its VERY spacious for them, however can't say the same for the rear seats (There's seating room but not too much space, but what do you expect? its a 2dr coupe. You should be lucky there's even seats back there *ahem* Nissan 350 *ahem*. This car is fun, its fast, AND it was very affordable.

"Hey! What kind of car is that?"
By R-HES

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Genesis Turbo Coupe is impressive. It's A Rear-wheel Drive turbo sports car, just the platform I wanted. The body of the vehicle appears as if it was shaped by the wind itself. It has an aggressive stance, and it seems to stand out from other cars on the road. It isn't uncommon for someone to ask me what kind of car it is. People have stopped lights and rolled their windows down and ask. --aside from how it looks- My genesis Turbo coupe is a 6-Speed Manual. The car runs very strong through the gears. The engine power is strong and sounds great -it's satisfying behind the wheel, and luckily the Genesis Turbo Coupe can be easily modified for those who wish for a tad more boost. Shifting the Genesis is smooth and easy, however I must say, the rpm's do seem to hang just barely between shifts as compared to previous 6-Speed manuals I've driven in the past. However, this isn't a big deal - but I think it's an honorable mention. The traction control button on this car is extremely important. To the left of the steering wheel there is a button "TCS" - Traction Control System. If traction control is turned off, the car will let you go in for a 'driving move', that of which you are in over your head. With TCS ON, the wheels use electronic control to prevent from breaking loose. This is a common button in sports cars, but for someone curious about things that are important with this car, this is. I have rules: If I'm on the highway, TCS must be ON. If it is raining, TCS ON. Winter time...TCS ON! The winter in this vehicle makes for a questionable journey. A touch snowy winter, with snow covered roads, is not fun. I've made it though the last 2 mild winters here. Lots of tire spinning. OVERALL: The Genesis Turbo Coupe looks incredible, sounds and performs terrific. When treated with care and well maintained, this car is a gemstone.

love my Genesis Coupe
By CW

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

5+ yrs and 100k miles and I want to buy it again!
By Jim Furbush

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I didn't set out to buy this car, or any car until I spotted this at the dealership and fell in love. Walking in with your mouth hanging open probably isn't the best negotiating strategy. This hadn't happened since spotting my 1978 Toyota Celica GT5 right after college!
It isn't unusual for people to walk up and ask me about the car and compliment me - it happens every week. Happened just today in fact. Love driving this car and have had very few issues. Handles well and has all the power most mere mortals need. My only issues are minor - one annoying one, the media screen is for some reason unreadable when the dash lights are very dimmed. Not sure what people are complaining about with the seats being uncomfortable... I'm 60 and drive routinely over an hour with zero discomfort. The only repairs were when the buttons on the doors malfunctioned and were promptly repaired under warranty by dealer. Also had a battery die and have to be replaced.

Me, I wish I could just turn back the clock and start over with this very same car.

"I didn't know Hyundai built sports cars!"
By Devon White

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

"Man what kind of car is that??", ask the car wash attendant.
"Oh it's just a Hyundai Genesis..." I say as I start to feel all giddy on the inside for someone talking to me while wearing socks and sandals.
"I didn't know Hyundai built sports cars! That is much nicer than my new V6 Camaro.." the man says with slight disappointment in his voice.

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is an understated performance sports car. Why do I say understated? With the open market of the FRS/BRZ twins, Ford Focus ST, Nissan 370z and Honda Civic Si, it is very easy to forget that Hyundai offers a competitive RWD, 300hp sports car for a cheaper price. After spending a week of searching, I was able to find a Genesis Coupe for $4,000 cheaper than a FRS and $6,000 cheaper than a Focus ST (Take a guess on the price gap between the Hyundai and the 370....Yikes!).

After owning the car through both Winter and Summer I can say that this car makes a decent daily driver. I went for the top of the line "Track" package which includes 19' Wheels, a stiffer suspension, big Brembo brakes, and low profile tires which, in the winter, makes for a questionable journey. Though the weather was not in the Genesis Coupe's favor, it handle the snow and ice better than most cars on the road. Traction Control is a feature that will automatically prevent you from getting in-over your head, and the climate control system will keep you warm while the temperatures fall bellow zero degrees. During the summer months the car can come into its own. If you have never taken this car out on a back-road, it is highly recommended that you scare your local Hyundai Salesman. The stiff suspension allows you to feel the cars sports car spirit as you abuse it through sharp hairpin turns, the car does not buckle at the effort, it laughs and yells "More!".

Though I have found this to be an excellent car, it is not perfect. The stiff suspension will really begin to make you feel your age, even if you're 2 years old. Long road trips can be rather tiresome and make you question why you didn't walk to your Aunt's house in Idaho. The interior is a nice place to be, but is filled with cheap feeling materials and more plastic then a aging supermodel. Though it has 300HP, I feel that the car under utilizes that power in the high gears and makes use of it in the lower gears.

What was a major surprise was how roomy the car is (in the front seats), as a 6 foot 2 individual, I have plenty of space to bob my head to my fast and furious soundtrack. My dad (who let's say is a lot more "healthy" than I) felt that the race like seats was firm and quite comfortable to sit in. MPG has been much better than I could ever imagine, when driving home from an overnight party I had the A.C. on with the windows down (who needs logic?), I managed to get 31.3 MPG without even trying. Remember this is a 300HP, "Track Edition".

Overall this is a great car for the price. This Hyundai looks greats, sounds great, and next to an RX8 or a Civic, it's fast. If you're like me and you want good performance out of the box you'll opt for the 3.8 motor because it is strong and capable of performance without being dangerous to a young driver. Tuners will go for the 2.0 turbo model as their is plenty of aftermarket support for the 2.0 to make it as fast, then faster than a 3.8. At the end of the day the suspension is very stiff but if you're looking at this as an option, you probably already have a yearning for back pain.