Used 1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

One of Honda's best in the past 20+ years
By James in Tulsa

1996 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Streamlined style is still fresh. Good for 300K mi if maintained and not abused. Fun to drive. Holds the road.

when Honda made cars to last forever
By wagon owner

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

the motor with maintance can go forever, nothing ever goes wrong because it dont have all the electronics of todays cars, if they still made these they would be broke, nobody would need to replace.

230K and still runs like a "Top"! BUT...
By Edwin Sherman

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Perform regular preventative maintenance, and you have a forever friend. It is the very definition of "reliable". Period. The only other vehicle I have ever owned, and still own, as reliable as my 96 Accord, is my 04, Odyssey. However, one issue consistent with 1990's Hondas is rusting upper arch wheel wells. The design flaw is how the rubber molding/weather stripping attached to the inner wheel well arch flange consistently traps enough moisture to cause premature rusting. Longtime owners of Hondas of this era know exactly what I am referring to and would agree. Unless of course, a quick fix rust repair had been performed prior to selling the car, in which case the next owner would disagree while unknowingly to become the next victim. However, if you took the best advice from Honda enthusiasts on reputable Honda forums, and removed the molding, you then bought a few extra years before having to perform body work. The rubber molding simply and easily tears away by hand, and I, of course, was too late removing the liners. No need to worry about aesthetics as the removed weather stripping is not noticeable, and, does not affect the lines of the car. I repaired my rusting wheel arches by sanding and applying fiberglass cloth tape affixed with fiberglass specific, Bondo. Sand, prime, paint. Done. The second issue would be the specific and unusual placement of O-rings under the rocker arms. It does not matter if you changed the oil every 3K miles, the O-rings under the rock arms inevitably become stiff and brittle, leaking small amounts of oil into a cylinder(s), wetting the spark plug(s). You may or may not notice a change in performance, other than slightly decreased gas mileage, until you see a fouled plug(s) during a tune up. The initial, and common instinct to blame it on failing cylinder rings in this era Honda is more than likely, not true. You can do nothing and be fine as long as you are frequently checking and topping off your oil. OK. That's it for the body and engine complaints. I will say, regardless of the couple of annoying things born into the 94-97 Accord, which is truly nothing when comparing cars in general, I am not letting go of this stalwart Accord until it, not me, says, "it is over."

Best 20 Year Old Car
By Joshua

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car in 2001 it was 5 years old and had about 60k miles on it. It now has 267,000 miles on it and still running! Dad took very good care of it and it's repaid us for it. We did all changes, updates, etc. as needed and it's still the original engine and transmission. A true testament to the build quality of the mid 90's Accords and if you maintain the car well it can really last. My wife and I bought it from my dad for my wife two years ago and love it! I'm hoping to hit at least 300k with it.

BEST car I've ever had. (I've had a few)
By Joaquin Borromeo

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This car will literally run forever with just minimal maintenance. Paid $3500 for my 96' Honda accord, now I'm graduating college I decided to sell it. I'm asking $3000 for it and I am confident that I can sell it for t his price. The car now has 166k miles on it but I am sure it can run all the way up to 300K plus plus miles.