2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord Hybrid model:

Excellent, roomy, responsive hybrid sedan
By S. C.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Easy to love this car. Wish it was available years ago when I bought an Insight which was inferior in every respect. Honda got it right on this one in all major respects. If I drove a constant 45-50mph I would be getting 50 MPG consistently but my mostly highway driving has me up in 65mph and higher most of the time. I like everything about the car other than a few minor annoyances. Easy to drive, quiet, reliable, great sound system, better styling for this model year than the 2018, which sadly looks like pieces are missing off the front of the Accord. LOL. This is my 5th hybrid--had 2 prius--too small for us tall folks, too narrow, and Toyota blamed owners for the accelerator pedal drama. No thanks. Then bought an Insight which was ok with mileage but small and cheap/tinny. Then bought a Sonata hybrid which looked nice but Hyundai lied about gas mileage and it was awful and blew up at 125K. Never again with either Toyota or Hyundai. This is my 4th Honda. Annoyances: musty smell from A/C; rear camera screen graphic takes getting used to compared to other cars; phone/stereo button is very clunky to use and switch back and forth. But those are tiny. Very happy with the car and will keep it a long time until I can afford a Tesla (if it still exists) or other all-electric that holds tall folks comfortably and has a high winter range. Until then this is fine and I got an amazing end-of-year deal/price.

Great, but not a good choice for highway driving
By rongreg13

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2017 Hybrid Touring in September 2016. I chose the Hybrid over the standard Touring model based solely on gas mileage due to my relatively long daily commute (~100 mi each way). My commute is almost all on Interstate 71 between Cincinnati, OH and Columbus, OH at speeds averaging 70MPH. The car has been 100% reliable and makes for a comfortable place to spend 1.5 hours each morning and afternoon with Apple Carplay and a super comfortable driver's seat. The radio sound quality is not great, but the car is super quiet at speed and relatively stable on the highway. Handling is typical Accord, and acceleration is surprisingly good (at least with the Sport mode engaged). There is, however, a pretty big delay in power being delivered once you stop on the accelerator in the normal drive mode. The biggest disappointment by far has been the mileage on the highway. In town, it is easy to meet or exceed EPA mileage estimates, but I have not been able to even come close to the EPA numbers on the highway at normal speeds. My commute is relatively flat, but the car does not like real world highway speeds and is also very sensitive to outside air temperatures. In warm weather my mileage is always below 40 MPG and in cold weather it is closer to 35 MPG. While these are by no means bad mileage numbers for a ~70MPH commute, I probably could have done close to that with one of the standard Accord Hybrid models which would have given me much better acceleration and infinitely better looking 19" wheels. Other than the mileage, my main areas of disappointment have been the aforementioned ugly (and tiny) wheels as well as the mediocre sound quality of the radio and the lack of a digital speedometer. One other glaring issue on my car, which I'm not sure is common, is my speedometer displays an indicated speed of roughly 2 MPH below the speed I'm actually traveling (based on GPS). Otherwise, it's a super reliable and super comfortable car that does a great job of delivering fantastic city mileage in a package that is just as easy to live with as a non-hybrid Accord.

Love my Honda, But .............
By Nyy69

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ok, so let my start off by saying that this is my 5th Accord between my wife and I. Extremely reliable my other Accords have lasted 250,000+ and we drive 120 miles a day to and from work. So the obvious choice was to get a Hybrid for the better gas mileage, went to go buy the Hybrid the salesman was like well you wont get exactly 49-city and 47-highway but it will be close. NOT !!!!!! I do understand in the winter and cold you'll get less mpg, but come'on all winter ( I live in NJ ) been avg 32-33 mpg, and now that we've had some 50's-60's weather only getting 37, maybe 38 mpg. If you're expecting to get mid-low 40's mpg w this Hybrid, I'm telling you now DON'T it's not happening. Other than that it's a fantastic car, best of luck Honda owners.

Experienced hybrid owner
By David B

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second hybrid vehicle. I still own a 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid which I love. I have owned this Honda Accord Hybrid touring for about a month now and have thus far had a very positive experience with it. I purchased the vehicle with 5800 miles on it from a reputable dealer and have put about 2000 miles on the vehicle on all kinds of roads (rural and highway). It performs well on dry as well as wet and icy roads. The ride is very smooth and comfortable although not as quiet as the Camry, but still very acceptable. Both my wife and I are in our 70's and even though the Accord is a "sportier" riding vehicle in both performance and appearance compared to the Camry... we still enjoy this vehicle very much. It is tighter on turns then our Camry and responds quicker when turning especially at high speeds. The Camry does give a smoother, quieter and "heavier" ride. I did read about a few criticisms of this vehicle before buying.... The enhanced cruise control which was described as not responding back to original settings "quick enough" I find not a problem at all. The vehicle slows down automatically as it starts to get too close to the vehicle in front of you... then slowly regains speed to the set speed. This definitely conserves fuel and you can always just accelerate yourself and then reset the cruise control if you like. Another complaint involved "not having a volume or tuning knob" for the radio system. The touch screen controls or steering wheel controls work as well for me. Lastly, the enhanced safety features (lane warning, collision warning, etc) are no problem. If you find them annoying or too sensitive... just turn them off. Gas mileage is very good. If you drive the vehicle to accommodate its hybrid capability it will average an overall 42+ mpg. I have even driven at 52mpg at times. I haven't owned the car long enough to rate reliability or maintenance/repair issues. Overall I'm thinking I will like this vehicle as much as my 6 year old Camry... I hope it does as well.

We traded it after 9 months!
By Mjrek

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Honestly, loved the car the day we bought it. Just couldn't take it anymore and got rid of it after 9 months. The good: The seats were comfortable, the lots of bells and whistles, good visibility while driving, love the lane assist and smart cruise control. The bad: gas mileage truly stunk we averaged 36.9 miles to the gallon over 19,300 miles: WAY below the advertised mileage, the trunk space is non-existent, one suitcase and one overnight bag is it, we had two warranty related issues where the back deck that holds the speakers had to be removed because it rattled like crazy and the airbag had to be removed and repacked because of an annoying rattle inside of it, the leather seats were looking terrible after 9 months, the radio and Apple Car play glitched out often, no dial on the volume was a real pain, and the engine was really loud when idling.