Used 2013 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

Used Terrain for Sale
Select your model:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Love this dependable vehicle

Ann, 02/01/2016
SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2013 and love it. Ride, handling, gas mileage, are great with no complaints. I recently traded it for a 2019 Acadia because I wanted a vehicle to pull a trailer.

Known Defect in Engine Oil Consumption

DD, 03/15/2019
SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently bought a 2013 GMC Terrain 2.4 L. The price seemed fair and vehicle appeared to be in good condition with relatively low miles. I did purchase an after market warranty, and am so thankful I did. I have had this vehicle for less than 5 months, and am now having to replace the engine. The engine not only consumes oil, but also builds condensation. My first indication of this was during a routine oil change when emulsified oil was found on the oil cap and the dipstick. No actual oil level was showing, only the emulsified oil film. When opening the drain plug, only about 2 to 2 1/2 quarts of oil came out. I felt the oil and found a fine gritty feeling in the oil...very bad sign. First thing Monday morning I called a GMC dealer and brought the vehicle to them reporting emulsified oil in the engine. Later that day I received a call telling me the timing chain needed replaced. As I have found out since, this is a common practice, but is not and does not resolve the root cause, it is just a band aid to put money in the dealers pocket. The repair facility stated I had mentioned a noise coming from the engine, which I had not done, performed and engine diagnostics, which I hadn't authorized, then told me I would owe them several hundred dollars that was not covered in my aftermarket warranty. Mind you, I had not check engine light, no alarms, no indication of any problem other that the oil issue I visually and physically saw. I have had to fight with the dealers repair facility to get the root cause of the problem addressed and an adjuster from the warranty company went to the facility to inspect the engine. Then and only then did I find out this engine would have to be replaced and as I did my own research found this is a common and ongoing issue with this engine. I have a friend with a 2017 Terrain that I asked if they were having any issues, and the told me that there last oil change they had emulsified oil on the dipstick. Welcome to my world. They fortunately are still under manufacturers warranty and are planning to get rid of the vehicle. GM has known about this problem and refuses to address it and make it right for their customers, even after our tax dollars went to bail them out. Shame on you and your 7 figure bonuses. I have always bought American, but this will definitely change that. Our federal government should step in and force them to fix their mess. I will still be on the hook for several hundred dollars and will only have a used engine as a replacement. So here we go again. Once repaired I will need to get rid of the vehicle as I still have a few years left on the loan. DO NOT BUY.

Great Ride

cousman, 02/23/2014

This is perhaps the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. Prior the Terrain I had an Audi and two cars ago a Mercedes and I do not for a second regret changing continents. I always chuckle a little bit when reviews say that such and such a car has less enthusiastic performance... compared to what. I tested a Mercedes GLK the same day as the Terrain, granted I used the gas peddle differently but I noticed no difference in acceleration and the handling was better with the GMC. In fact the stability when cornering is superior to that of my last five vehicles (3 Japanese and 2 German)

Regretful buy

Louie Aggy, 02/24/2017
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Extremely disappointed with my 2013 GMC Terrain. It has a 2.4 cylinder engine that consumes too much oil between oil changes. A Technical Service Bulletin was issued by GM for the problem but they have not done a full recall yet. Vehicle was stalling due to low oil issues. Intake Solenoid had to be replaced because of low oil levels. Transmission fluid leaked from trans torque converter seal, left rear wheel hub had to be replaced due to bearings going bad all with just 52k miles. The engine specifically in my vehicle is a safety hazard/concern for anyone with a family. My wife is a nanny and does not drive the vehicle aggressively.

GMC Terrain Now 5 yrs 74,000 miles. Satisfied.

Bob, 06/17/2017
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Still no substantial complaints. MPG 4 cylinder disappoints, avg mixed about 26 mpg. Power driver's seat not supportive enough, uncomfortable after 30 mins. Engine - A/C noisy in ECO mode. All things considered Not Bad. The pros: everything else: easy in and out, stylish inside and out, all power except lift gate, heated power seats, heated power mirrors, windows, great infotainment, GMC upscale std features. NO PROBLEMS, NO REPAIRS, NO EXPENSIVE SURPRISES. Tire note: original Firestone Destination LE lasted 72,000 miles! Recently installed 4 Vredestein Quatrack 5 (from Netherlands). What a BIG, BIG difference! Much smoother and quieter ride, better handling, with a full chart of 8+++ attributes. This review is likely the last for the Terrain.

12345...7