Used 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Great Truck
By Brian H.

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The 5.3L motor and 6 speed HD transmission combo are surprisingly powerful compared to older half- ton trucks I've previously owned. The truck is pretty fast and keeps plenty of power on tap and will pull a tandem trailer loaded 70+MPH with relative ease. It also is Trans. shifting is not the smoothest at all times but you get used to it. This could be from a number of things and I don't think this is necessarily true across the board with these trucks. I have the Z71 version and currently use all- terrain type tires and must say it certainly outperforms my expectations off- road. The 4x4 auto is a nice feature as well. This half ton gets outstanding gas mileage comparative to my older 1500HD and certainly pulls its weight for a 1/2 ton.

A joke
By Birddog

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have bought 8 new GM trucks over the years and the last 3 have been A Joke....the 2012 GMC Sierra being the biggest joke, truck looks good but here is a list of issues after 65000 miles...
Transmission shifting issues, down shifting
Rear end clunking, slack in gear train
Noisey cab, Noisey bed, Noisey breaks
2 set of breaks in 65000 miles????????
Battery replacement after 40000 miles???
Using oil after 50000 miles....
Warranty covers nothing, GM said this is normal of a truck with that many miles 😉
Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.... And I've owned several F150's so I'm qualified!!!

Never again
By kti2

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Will not buy again. Had the 6 speed manual which kept slamming into 6th gear, apparently its a common problem and its considered "normal" only a year later and the door handles started breaking (100 a piece)w/ install and master power switch failed, and all 4 door moldings fell off. These types of problems I can see if they developed 4-5 years down the road, not in 1 year. Not a 2nd time buyer

Driving in Comfort
By tomerikac

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I drove full size pickups for over 25 years then, due to marriage, started driving small cars/minivans for 5 years. Upon retirement, decided to go back to a full size pickup. Found this two yr. old 2012 ext. cab. 5.3l, 6-speed, 20" wheels, chromed out, tonneau, dual exhaust, bed liner, led lights, 16k miles for only $22.9k. Bought it from a 70 yr. old retiree. True, we would all love better gas mileage, but now that I'm retired and driving less miles per year, I love driving this truck. Has been trouble free and very dependable. My young kids love it, too. I'm hoping to drive this thing off into the sunset, or until my wife/kids tell me that I'm just too old to drive.

To update: Truck has another 17k miles and is still immaculate and runs great. Absolutely no problems. I needed to drive a sedan the other day and don't think I could ever get used to driving while sitting in a seat that is so close to the ground. My truck feels so much safer and "grand." Price of gas dropped but is now slowly rising. But I'm only driving about 7-8k miles a year now. Time for new tires and am shocked to learn that Sam's sells these stock 20" for only $138/ea. True, I only got about 35k out of them, but can't see paying twice that for Michelins. Still thinking I'll be driving this thing for many years to come. Every family needs at least one truck.

Well, to update. I just got tired of parking at far corner of parking lots, getting about 16mpg, and having to deal with the suicide doors. I sold it. Was going to trade it in, but couldn't get over 19k, sold on craigslist for $22k, nearly what I paid for it 2 1/2 yrs ago. It is a nice truck, dual exhaust added a lot, plenty of power, comfortable, looks real nice. I miss it but don't regret selling it. Found a 2010 Honda Civic low miles, $8k for the wife, now I'm driving the 2011 Kia Sedona. I actually like it. Very practical and economical, and it's paid off.

Amazing TRUCK!!!!!!!
By bigguybob13

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is the best choice I ever made, its my first truck ive ever bought, my brother and parents are having great luck with theirs so i thought id give it a shot. Could not have asked for more with this amazing vehical, im 6'4 and the shortes of 4 guys in my family, we all fit great in this truck, great for road trips or just driving around town, gas mileage is great for the size and safety!

The size is great! My came with the powertech package so hello 5.3! The engine hauls like no other, barley need to hit the gas before im flying down the road. Also came with the convinience package so i get the bluetooth and everything!

Nothing that i know of