Used 2013 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

Peppy
By 95in3rd

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is great. Super acceleration. Much better than expected. Ride a bit harsh, but should be expected in a sport model. Good road feel. Brakes fine for the road, but I'd want to beef them up for a track day. Overall a very satisfying car.

November 17, 17update: took it on a vacation to denver, then roamed coming back. the rear holds a lot of cargo, and we kept all our bags there. very convenient when loading and unloading at motels. the car ran great. mileage was about 27-28 on the road. about 25 town mix.

acceleration and performance when passing was superb. passes are easy and doable. the Recaro seats are the bomb for travel. very comfortable and supportive. used just a few dribbles of oil over 3,500 miles. overall, the machine is great for travel.

sometimes, when cold, the transmission makes some noise, but it goes away once warmed up. take your time until it does warm up.

thinking about taking it to the track this may, but not sure. we'll see.

may 18, 18 update. car still runs great. it is still a satisfying car.

Stalls on slowdown
By S S

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Join the ST forums and do your research first. Some have simply given up trying to get dealers to fix it. Stalls when slowing down or downshifting into 2nd. Very sporadic - appears to be something idle-related. Both Focus and FIesta ST owners are reporting this. Been fighting dealers with this for the past 2 years.

Too Much Fun
By Bob Dyer

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased a 2013 Focus ST this summer after researching choices for over a year. Looking for a fun car before I become too old to enjoy (61). Wow. Top notch handling, quick acceleration, smooth shifting, and a nice exhaust sound make this car a joy to drive. Pleasantly surprised with comfort of Recaro seats after reading reviews expressing discomfort. I am 5'10" and 184lbs. Seats are comfortable even on trips I have taken up to 8 hours. Another cool feature that I had not heard of during my research is auto brake which engages at stops on hill so no drifting backwards. Took awhile to get use to but a nice feature. I bought the car with 41,000 miles and added another 4,000. Car looks and drives like new. Fuel economy ok coming in around 29-30 mpg. Relatively tight fit in back seat. My 96 Mustang GT convertible sat in garage most of summer as the Focus was my go to car for a fun ride.

Bargain family Ferrari
By Douglas Pavlak

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

No, I'm serious. I have owned a Ferrari 360 Modena, a Nissan GTR, Z-cars, you name it. Economic issues forced me to keep my budget low, and this car was amazing. It handles and brakes like some of my best sports cars. No rocketsled acceleration, but brisk enough to be fun. And it still holds five, tons of cargo if necessary, and is just a hoot to drive. And surprisingly it gets almost as many looks as the GTR, though definitely not as many as the Ferrari! It cost nothing to own and nothing to run and I had nothing break in over 40,000 miles except wearing out tires, which is so much fun it's worth it. The only reason I would part with this car is to get a Ford focus RS because of the all-wheel-drive and of course better acceleration. This car is a winner, and the design team deserves praise.

Update 2/2/2017: Still in love with my car. First "wear" repair was new rear brakes/rotors ($450). Odd that the rears wore out first, but I wonder if it's because of the stability control kicking in to avoid understeer in hard cornering? Anyway, still a bargain repair, as the same one in my GT-R would have been a couple grand!!! I will only part with this car to get the RS because I live in Maine and could use the AWD. I think it's also a great option that they offer a spare set of winter wheels and tires for the car so you can really enjoy the best of what it offers year-round without having to demount, remount and rebalance your tires....

Update 2/5/18: Loved it till the end, and I did finally trade it in (as I said I would) for a 2017 Ford Focus RS. Ford turned an awesome hatchback to an amazing one! Seriously, my RS has equal performance "numbers" and equal handling/braking to my old Ferrari Modena (sorry Maranello). It doesn't have the same mid-engine feel and 9000 rpm redline (and Ferrari song); but as I said above, it can carry 5, hold tons of stuff, AND now it's AWD with a second set of winter tires/wheels for year-round use. I can finally get up my (uphill) Maine driveway in winter, embarrass Porsche Cayman S drivers at all times, and still use this as a daily driver.......Touche, Ford!

2013 Focus ST-3 ownership review after 2.5 years
By Dannoo

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is really an amazing car, a bit over priced if you buy all the options. You don't need Ford My Touch. It is just flashy and unnecessary. Anyone with a cell phone does not need navigation in their Focus ST. The Nav is difficult to use, and you have to be stopped if you are going to input info into it. Its not accurate either, I never use it. The Recaro buckets are beautiful to look at and make the car appear to be an awesome race machine, however if you are a male and you are over 150 lbs and taller than 5'7" you will be uncomfortable. very narrow seat backs..digs into shoulders. I had some issues with the car stalling at red lights and stop signs and it took Ford a year to fix it. My right side head light bobbles over bumps, Ford can't fix it. Vibrates a lot with the AC on at a stop. OK, now for the good stuff...quick, nimble, exciting, handles like its on rails, stops on a dime in emergencies, and can switch lanes before you can blink your eyes. Gets reasonable mileage as I avg 31mpg city and hwy combined. The turbo spools up nicely for me and I enjoy the passing power it has on the street.