Used 2012 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Mr Blue
By Charlie

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was a little hesitant on buying this car as to some of the reviews and actually I bought it used but the bottom line is that I love it ! I now have 100,000 miles on it and other than routine maintenance ,oil changes ,tune up etc. It has never let me down ! I travel 50 miles a day to and from work and love the great fuel economy at about 38.5 miles per gallon at about 60 mph ! Also the Bose stereo rocks ! All in all no complaints but thinking of maybe going with the 4 door version if I purchase another .

A Pop of fun
By Giovanni Dennis

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I highly recommend the manual version, it's just more fun to drive, better mpg and less wear and tear on the transmission...the Engine is zippy and responsive, the steering light, and the size is tiny! The car weighs 2400 lbs...forget the back seats, it's for kids and small pets lol...first thing I did was an oil change, rear wiper blade and interior cabin filter...

Her name is Dot
By Precious Moreno

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

My brown Fiat was totaled and I didn’t want to go with with a new car or a different brand. I loved my car and I wanted a stick shift. I found Dot in Marin and she’s beautiful (black and white) and I just love driving her. She’s fast and I feel very safe. Fiat is a car company I will stick with. I even got the same year as my previous car.

Cute is never enough
By Kieza C.

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because my aunt had one and because it was so cute. This car has broken more times than my previous car which had almost 200,000 miles on it, I owned that one for 8 years and I've had the Fiat for 5. I did all of the scheduled maintenance, even after my warranty ran out. I have had to replace...the oil pressure sensor, the throttle position sensor, the thermostat, the alternator, the windshield wash reservoir, and I'm on my second replacement O2 sensor. Inside the cable that moves the front passenger seat up and forward at the same time didn't last the first year, and I don't have kids so it was used that often. The fuses for the climate controller lighting have been replaced several times. The daytime running lights are nearly impossible to get to to replace the bulbs. The holders for the felt covered section that covers the cargo area broke within the first few months. The car handles really well in the snow though, when it can get out of it's own way. It's annoying that you can't open the back hatch unless you unlock it with the keyfob, There's no button inside the car and no keyhole outside. If you get out of your car and run around to the back to get something you have to shut the car off to unlock the back hatch. Although it is nice that it's set up so you virtually cannot lock your keys in the car. The keyfob mangles really easily, like just from regular use. Right now we are trying to figure out why nothing happens when I put the pedal to the floor uphill on the highway. Oh and if your thermostat goes the car will try to kill you by registering an overheat that isn't happening which throttles the engine back without warning. Then after it has it's fit everything goes back to normal. Lastly the repair costs will put you in the poor house and dealer parts are almost always on back order.

Love my Fiat 500 C Pop
By Anthony

2012 FIAT 500 C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several Fiats through the years and i can honestly say, they are misunderstood. I have had a 1974 124 Sport, which was fun as could be to drive. I owned a 1980 Fiat 2000 Spider convertible ( also known as a 124). That was a blast to drive. I went through a midlife crisis and got another 1981 Fiat Spider convertible, this will always put a smile on your face, something about the top down and the wind in your hair and face. Forward to the 2012 Fiat 500C Pop, what a great design to put a cloth retractable top inside the roof pillars, much safer and way cooler. The car rides and feels like a big car, it is very solid and sure footed. I am 6 foot 1 and have plenty of room and I find the front seating extremely roomy and comfortable. I always sit in the back whenever i purchase a vehicle to see how much headroom and legroom my less fortunate passengers will have. While i am an empty nester, i tend to flop the rear seats down and create a nice little cargo hauling area that is very practical for hauling my two dogs around or for groceries. I bought my car used with 20,000 miles on it in 2014, i have since put 60,000 miles with regular oil changes and tire rotations. i have changed my own spark plugs twice, which is fairly simple, as is changing the air filter and cabin filter. I purchased an aftermarket warranty, but I have never needed to use it. There was a recall on a manual clutch spring replacement, where they also have to replace the brake sensor, but that was covered under the recall. I am sad that the cars do not hold their resale value, but I believe that the 500 C model was done correctly. I know there have been alot of complaints with the 500 L 4 door, but that is a different engine and model altogether. I love my 500C Pop convertible manual transmission. If you dont know about manual transmissions, they are the best kept secret. They are a lot more fun to drive. You are more involved with the driving experience and that is what you are doing driving! therefore one tends to pay more attention. I spoke with a used car salesman recently and he stated that he specifically bought a manual transmission vehicle for his daughter.... Because she would not be able to text and drive! She was initially upset.. but she thanked him later for this. Something to think about. I have had my Fiat up to 101 MPH and it rides the same at all speeds, 50-70 is the perfect speed for this vehicle, I cant stress enough , the big car feel. This is something American cars are getting better at, but I honestly do not know if I will ever buy American. I have owned several German cars and brands and there is nothing quite like their feel for the road, however reliablity and parts and pricing is a different story. I have owned Japanese and Korean and found them to be the most reliable. To make a long story short, on a beautiful day with the top down and a nice day trip planned with you and that special someone, I highly reccomend that you take the route less traveled in the vehicle (Fiat 500C Pop, Manual) less driven. You will not be disappointed. Just do your homework and check the car fax maintenance records. Good solid car, great gas mileage, unlimited smiles and Italian sexy.