Used 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Silverado 2500 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Piston Slap a real bummer

DaveD, 04/24/2003
HD LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

Have owned only Chevy trucks since 1972. This is the last one. Truck was great until it lost the oil pump at about 20,000 miles. No big deal there. At 25,000 it started to knock when it was first started up. Actual problem is the infamous 'piston slap problem'. Dealer (Sir Walter Chevy in Raleigh) wouldn't even look at it. They gave me TSB #01-06-01-028 that basically said it wasn't a problem and sent me on my way. Now at 29,000 miles it lasts for 5 minutes on startup. Had to search the internet to find out there was a extended warranty on the motor for free. Meanwhile no one will buy the piece of junk from me because of the problem. It's Dodge hemi time.

The underestimated truck

GrahamMcFarland, 01/30/2009
HD LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

This truck is the best we have ever owned. On a good day I get close to 18 mpg and its all stock. The truck is built very well and have had only had little problems with it. We use it to plow and is great at it. The take off it very fast with the 6.0L aluminum light big block. The off road ability is very nice because it sits nice and high.

What a ride....

wyandot, 05/04/2004
HD LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Over four years now & 238,000 miles. I couldn't ask for a more reliable truck. Fuel pump, water pump, & the alternator were the only things needing replaced. Pretty good for that many miles! Comfortable, powerful, & it does everything I ask it to do. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

2000hd2500extlb

bob 360, 12/04/2002
HD LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

25004x4 ext cab 4door 6000 motor

Dependable and Comfortable Hauler

krrt, 05/07/2004
HD LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck used with 35K miles; it now has 66K miles. It is the heavy-duty version of the 2500 that was replaced by the 2500HD in 2001. This truck has been entirely dependable with no major mechanical problems. The 6.0L engine is smooth with plenty of power. No oil needs to be added between changes. The ride is quiet and comfortable (for a big truck), loaded and unloaded. The auto four-wheel drive option, which allows the transfer case to slip, is great for slick pavement. I have been very satisfied, and expect to keep this truck to 100K miles or more.