Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Tough little truck
By S10man

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck was given to me by grandfather after he died and it has been very reliable. I have just turned 16 and I've been rough with this truck and it still holds up. The 4.3 V6 was the best V6 ever made. Actually it is a 350 block with two cylinders chopped off. It has the same size pistons and everything. It has a lot of power and will still lay you back in your seat with over 106,000 miles on it. The only thing I've ever had to do to it was change the oil and I put a K&N lifetime air filter in it. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the compressor had a leak that I fixed easily. Other than that it has been great.

4x4, alloy wheels,easy to work on, great power in 4.3 V6. it's a Chevy, enough said.

Aftermarket cd player, two ten inch subs in a box behind seat in extended cab part, upgraded tires, put real seats in it not jump seat.

S-10 Truck
By Tom

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck has been and continues to be a good little truck. I use it for hauling and driving back and forth to work. It now has 141,000 miles on it and I have not had to do anything major except for replacing the transmission a few years ago. I was very disappointed in the way this whole issue was handled by GM. At one pont they said they would stand by what they sold and I ended up with a different person and the whole thing was stopped and I ended up having to pay $2500 out of my pocket.

Body and paint holds up well. This truck looks very good for being 11 years old. I get compliments on her all of the time. I really baby my cars though.

Great little truck
By BigRed3195

1997 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

Love this truck and I would recommend one to anyone. Chevy made a big mistake when they stopped making them. They are very reliable and are a joy to own and drive. Great on gas too, I'm currently getting 30+ mpg on the highway and 25+ mpg city driving. Great performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded. Easy to modify to. This S10 is the 2nd one that I've owned for a work truck and I have had 3 others for project trucks/ street machines. Love em.

Stick shift, rear wheel drive, good performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded, easy to modify into a street machine.

Add an additional leaf spring to the back if you are planning on having a lot of weight in the back for long periods of time

Reliability and Miles
By James B

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have not had one single major problem with this truck. I absolutly love this truck. When I first bought the truck my freinds said, "The transmission is gonna break down first. 225,000 miles later and still no problem. This is a very well built truck. Truly the heartbeat of my needs and Chevy is truly The Heartbeat of America.

Smooth and stable ride.

Stronger center arm rest.

Why Chevy lost me as a customer
By Pete792

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I bought a '97 S-10 brand new, at the end of '96. It was a great looking truck, and appeared to be a decent vehicle when I test drove it. Little did I know what a lemon this piece of junk would turn out to be! Until I bought this truck I was a Chevy fan. But it didn't take long before I felt like they had taken advantage of me. I read many of the reviews, and was amazed I had identical problems with my S-10. Like the rear view mirror falling off, and the gas gauge breaking after about 3 years, and the A/C problems. Not to mention the engine repeatedly over heating and eventually burning up and had to be replaced. Pieces continue to fall off and things break regularly. Avoid this lemon!

The body styling is what initial appealed to me. But Chevrolet's engineers obviously designed failure into every other aspect of the vehicle!

Stop making such lousy vehicles! The Japanese have been kicking Chevy's butt for years on quality and reliability and price and even styling!