Used 2002 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

survived a tornado and my high school years
By Cole Stewart

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Best car i have ever known! Always been a truck guy but i bought my 2002 Impala after my Mom drove it through a tornado. My Mom and the car survived and Insurance bought my mom a new car. I ended up buying the Impala from her pretty cheaply and drove it for 2 years with no maintenance. I never changed the oil or anything because I thought the car couldn't last. After 2 years I used it as a project car for a shop class and just tuned it up. I never spent more than $500 on the car all 6 years I drove it. I rolled it several times, drifted it, ramped it, went off roading, and wrecked it often. To this day I still have the car and besides some minor dents and dings its held up and it still runs. I even nose dived it off a jump down into the middle of the road, shot the power steering pump out the front end, rigged it back in place and hooked the hose back up, and kept driving without a problem. I have always been a Ford Truck guy but because of that car I will always go to Chevy for cars. My cousin even bought an Impala for his first car because he loved how well mine held up and hes had no complaints after 4 years. I got my Impala with 160K miles and it now has well over 200K still hammers down.

No dents
By Travis Rehbein

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Factory installed remote start works great for warming car from inside the house with anti theft all power windows locks drivers seat nice ride

All around an OK car
By Joshua

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

How about this car 6 months ago for 1500 it had a hundred and forty-one thousand miles exterior was excellent interior very clean one owner but about a month after taking ownership I had to replace the field Club 2 wheel bearings in the front both CV axles the cooling fan assembly twice EGR valve the camshaft position sensor the crankshaft position sensor the coolant temperature sensor coolant level sensor both tie rods that's all I can remember at the moment and all this replaced before I had a hundred and fifty thousand miles I had a hundred and Forty-Eight right now hopefully nothing else will break when I hit 150 other than that the car that's great strong and always starts up

Awful
By gdb85

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I think I was particularly unlucky with the car I got, but this was the worst car I ever owned. In the 7 years I had it, I spent over $4,000 on major repairs, most of which came in the course of one year. By the end, it had rusted so badly that the fuel filter was rusted in place and mechanics couldn't put it on a lift because underside components were so corroded that they crushed. I didn't feel like I could leave town. The turn signal worked only intermittently for the last six months I owned it. I was so tired of dumping money into it that I just stopped making repairs.

It was at least a comfortable riding car and there was lots of room for passengers. The engine was powerful enough, when it worked.

Better quality workmanship so that owners don't have to spend thousands of dollars on major repairs.

Solid Vehicle
By pacman401

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from my grandmother with 127,000 miles on it. So far, it has been a solid car. A few issues though. Transmission had to be rebuilt (those GM transaxles were already known to be crap) and I had to fix a wheel hub. But other than that, it has been a solid car. The sensors go bad all the time, but the car runs great and starts smooth everytime. Handles good, very comfortable for a long trip. The 3.8L is a fantastic motor so far, very torque enriched and shows no signs of quitting soon. I expect to put another 100,000 miles on it before its time for a new one, due to rust problems starting (its Michigan, so all cars are like that). Overall, a very solid car.

Comfort of ride, torquey and reliable v6, solid front styling. Sound system is above par as well. solid average 23mpg in suburb style driving.

Transmission is subpar and doesnt like to respond nicely. cheap feeling interior materials. headlamps design call for constantly being fogged up.