2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bolt EV model:

Chevy Bolt is fun and easy
By M Griffin

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

This is a great compact commuter car. The ride is comfortable and the controls are intuitive. It feels awesome to never have to stop for gas or change the oil. With a level two charger, you just plug at night and it is ready for action the next morning. An electric vehicle without sacrifice!

The only range anxiety is exceeding my lease limit
By Tone

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The lease deals on this car were too good to miss so i decided to try an EV but keep my 15 year old clunker as backup; my mistake, the clunker hasn't been required in months and ironically its battery keeps draining from lack of use. The Bolt is an awesome vehicle; accelerates and handles more like a sports car, has interior space comparable to a *UV but costs less to run than an econobox. One pedal driving is addictive, the brake pedal becomes just a foot rest for stop lights. The interior is elegant though not really refined, but the front seats can be uncomfortably narrow (I'm skinny, my nickname is "Bones", and the side bolsters pinch my legs so I'm not really sure who they were designed for). Outside visibility is great except for rear quarter views where the C/D pillars cause large blind spots so make sure to get the blind spot monitor option. Around town mileage is normally around 5 miles/KWh giving a calculated range of over 300 miles on a full charge, but it drops considerably at speed (often to less than 3 miles/KWh at 70mph) and long distance freeway trips need to be planned accordingly. The Fast charger option is a MUST if you have any aspirations to travel more than 50 miles from home, I'm not sure why they even sell the car without it ? A/C uses about 5% of the battery and heating 20%, the heated steering wheel and seats can mitigate this slightly but I'm not sure it'd be a viable car for cold climates. iPhone integration (and presumably Android too) for maps, traffic and music is seamless, but the car itself has no GPS awareness and can't tell if it's at home or not. This is a problem if you have the car set to charge only overnight and plug into a public charger ... unless you remember to press the "override" option it will sit dumbly and you'll come back from lunch with no more charge but possibly have been billed if there's a minimum connection fee.

My Bolt is a Babe!
By Laura Reinschmidt

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Absolutely love this car. It's MUCH roomier than it looked in the video. My husband is a well-built 6 foot tall man. He has plenty of head and elbow room. We are in love with this car! Plan to keep it forever.

A perfect car
By Steve

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Amazing acceleration, no gas required, no tune ups, holds lots of stuff, way fun to drive!

Taking the Plunge
By Lee B -Georgia

2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Ok so to give you some context this is the second electric car I have ever owned/ leased and the first American car I have ever purchased. I have mostly been a Toyota/ Lexus user ( mainly hybrids) and very suspicious of GM and/or American cars in general. I leased a leaf in 2012 and while it was a fun car to drive the Range was horrible and by the time I handed the lease in I was gettting 65-70 miles. I almost purchased a Volt a few years ago but consumer reports ratings around quality made me decide not to move forward. I have only owned the Bolt for less than a month but it is probably the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. It's really fun to drive so if you are a frusterated hybrid owner (like me) looking for something a little more fun to drive,this is the ticket. The Range is outstanding. I am getting anywhere from 230-280 per single charge so no range anxiety. I do agree that GM could have spent more on the interior however one of the things I really enjoy about the Bolt is that it really feels roomy ( unlike the Volt) and you sit up like you are driving an SUV or a crossover. The technology is very easy to use and GM provides you with a ton of metrics on how to improve your driving to maximize your range.. If you get the Premier there are a number of great safety features including blind spot and pedestrian detection. The regeneration braking is a great feature and something GM does better than the Tesla. This maximizes your energy so you can really get a ton of mileage on a single charge. You essentially can drive this car using one pedal as the braking starts as soon as you take your foot off the gas which than regenerates the battery. The only down side to the Bolt is GM has not invested in a charging Network like Tesla so long road trips over 300 miles can be a challenge but not impossible. If you want to try and use this car for long road trips and use public charging options, make sure you get the fast charging included in your final purchase. It is NOT specific to what trim you purchase and it is only a factory option. Also for best results get a level 2 charger ( 25 miles per hour) installed in your home because it will take for ever to charge on a 120v plug. Initially I was a bit nervous after I made the purchase but I love this car right now and would purchase it again in heart beat. I have had no issues but I also understand that I am an early adopter so I am not naive that I could run into issues down the road and that's ok. I am having a blast driving this car and don't miss the boring drive and great reliability of my Toyota Camry Hybrid.