Used 2016 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Great car
By M. M.

2016 BMW X3 xDrive28d 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Depending on where you live will determine dealer support. I purchased the car in Northern California where the BMW service was over the top which is one of the main reasons I purchased. I’ve since moved to Southern California and the service is subpar on a good day.

XOXOXO for the 2016 X3 35i Msport
By geebell

2016 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This vehicle is a pleasure to operate and truly comes alive in sport mode. The engine is nimble and responsive with superb handling and breaking. The interior is spacious and comfortable. Fit and finish are all excellent with all controls and interface being well designed and intuitive. Exterior is beautiful with the always pleasing spread nostrils design of the front and central kidney grills. Fantastic looking low profile wheels though i'm NOT a big fan of the whole run-flat tire movement. Only criticism of exterior is the under-designed rear with the understated exhaust. X3 exhaust should adapt the more aggressive dual rectilinear design of the X5 . I do wish there was an easily accessible USB connector on dash and heat button for steering wheel needs to be moved (as it was for 2018) to more accessible location. And finally every M sport version of a BMW should come with a complimentary pair of fine peccary leather fingerless driving gloves. ;)

NEVER AGAIN!
By Barb

2016 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've owned Infinity for years and thought it was time for a change and so got the BMW X3 35i....it's terrible! The 'intelligence' that went into this design is incomprehensible. The instrumental panel is nearly totally dark, I have to leave headlights on in the day time and even then it's hard to see....there is no separation for the navigation display to reduce lights when night driving, if you reduce display for navigation so you can see, the instrument dulls as well, meaning you cannot see how fast you are going. There is virtually ZERO ability to see clock, temps or any other instruments...there is no display for tire pressure. There are so many stupid things that the Germans missed with this, that as soon as my plates come in I am getting rid of it and going back to Infinity. Even hubby who is German says even GERMANS don't buy BMW because there are NO OPTIONS on the cars unless you pay outrageous prices for them. Japan has it ALL OVER the imports from Europe in this regard...I rented a KIA that has more options and better visibility than this BMW...VERY unhappy. The gas tank holds about 14 gallons and so you have to fill up every three days, it's just a ridiculous car.

MY SEVENTH BMW AND LEAST FAVORITE
By Jonathon N.

2016 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I’m a 7-time BMW owner. All 3-Series vehicles until now. The X3.

The X3 (I have a 2016 X3 AWD Gas) is my first South Carolina built BMW away from the 3-Series and the first non-German built BMW I have owned. I learning to live with this non-luxury truck with its optional safety (by optional I mean sub-par headlights, no fender turn signals and Goodyear run-flats).

What a difference…

The anemic 4-cyclinder engine tries to move some 5,000 pounds around. It struggles on hills (almost sounds diesel-like) but if you put the vehicle into what BMW calls the SPORTS MODE, performance will improve greatly because it cancels out (or re-directs) several short-throw gears on the transmission and the engine is married to the gearbox in a much faster pace (you will consume an extra 21% of fuel though).

The transmission is electronic. I love it! Responsive, fast, understanding of your needs and quick to the change by your demands. Kudos to BMW for this system of near perfection and this same system really shows off its talent when used on the 3-series newer sedans or coupes (I’ve had loaners in the past).

The parking brake is an electronic tab function. Hold a TAB to place your X3 in the parking brake mode.

BMW’s are usually like a train on rails. Trains follow tracks. You don’t drive or steer a train. Trains are precise and follow a pattern. Most BMW’s give you that same feeling of total control and responsibility. The road is safely yours and if you get into a situation a BMW will get you out of it with plenty of power and precision steering. Except for the X3 4-cylinder version.

The X3 is a shoebox on wheels. BMW has compromised safety where safety is now OPTIONAL instead of standard. Be it cheap and yellowish basic headlights to turn signal indicators (side body panels) missing because you bought the wrong model. Rim/Tire sizes being too small. Backup camera or braking safety features all optional. Simple safety no longer part of BMW standards. Safety only available for sale.

Expect cheap plastic seats called SENSA-TEC on entry level models (sometimes called Leatherette) that are miserable in comfort. You’ll have to purchase the essential SPORT PACKAGE to get decent seats in leather and secured in comfort. The rears are even worse making most park benches a luxury compared to the rear seats on a 2016 X3.

Tires on the X3 are also downgraded to Goodyear’s (pending the model/version/year). However, many cars on the dealers lot had Bridgestone’s (owned by Firestone) tires. Pirelli’s should be on the X3 or a good second choice would be Michelin’s. Once again, BMW downgrading the X3 to truck status.

Ride quality is average. We had to take off the ‘FRED FLINTSTONE’ Goodyear run flats and upgrade to the Michelin’s to get a better interstate ride. It’s like turbulence over Florida sometimes with you sitting in the last row of the airplane. The X3 is stumpy, short and fairly boxy looking (whereas the X5 has a far classier look to it). It bumps and it pulls and it fights the road when accomplishing interstate driving.

Braking is average. Not the soft and exact stopping that a BMW 3-series will give you but plan ahead and control your stop before you need to. 5000 lbs. is a lot a shoebox to stop.

The Panoramic Sunroof is a must-have option and excellent in design. It’s massive! Back seat passengers especially benefit and it is a great distraction to the discomfort of those Spirit Airlines last row seats. One of the better options available on the BMW X3.

This is the most disappointing BMW I have owned to date. Yet in fairness, my last BMW was a 335is convertible and now this is a totally, almost non-BMW truck experience. We did a test drive of the RAV-4 before deciding on the X3 but when compared, the Toyota RAV 4 exceeded all handling and safety features when compared to the BMW X3 when factoring in price and reliability. On the other hand, BMW paint and fit and finish was superior to Toyota’s cheaper paint and gel coating.

In just six (6) weeks, our rear hatch latch has broken off (it’s plastic instead of metal), we’ve changed out the bad tires, the driver’s side door won’t stay open, when opened (you have to walk it out into position) and of great concern is we had to accelerate this weekend to change lanes on an interstate and nothing happened. Gas petal depressed fully. No response. Of major concern and to be looked at later this week.

I’d never purchase another X3 BMW at any price. Not a real German built BMW. In fact, not the feeling of a BMW at all…

If you decide on a X3, add the essential packages so that you’ll have the basic safety items now marketed only as options. Going with the 35i X3 will provide for superior engine performance and adding a SPORTS PACKAGE above all will change the experience from rental car performance to some personal pride of ownership.

2016 BMW X3 Diesel vs GLK250
By Mike

2016 BMW X3 xDrive28d 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Although I relay on feedback and reviews, it took a while to decide to write one. However, I wanted to write this review for people interested in diesel cars as I was, and there weren’t too many comments in regards to diesel engines.
I was in search of a diesel car that will have a high MPG and be a little bit bigger than a sedan. I didn’t care about brands in the beginning knowing that I will sort it out at the end based on price/mpg/quality, etc.
After narrowing down I ended up with 2 models: BMW X3 diesel and MB GLK250 diesel. I lived in Oregon at that time and the price in NW was higher than other areas. As I had time to search and not be in rush, I found a 2013 GLK250 in California @ $28K with 21000 miles on it. PURCHASE it for my wife.
2 months later I found an X3 diesel in Texas @ 36K brand new, but with rear window busted by the hails. The dealer replaced the window for free, but I paid for fixing the wiring as the rain water affected the rear side.
1 year later, both cars have about 10k miles put on them, and I can say that MB is the best as performance.
Acceleration: BMW is on 8 speed transmission and the car is slow until you reach about 30MPH. The ratio on speed changes is small and that will keep you slow. It is irritant to see all kind of other brands vehicles to be faster than your BMW car, from stop to 30-35 MPH. GLK250 instead is on 7 speed transmission but the ratio is distributed different and you have the starting speed what you’ll need.
Comfort: BMW is better as the seats are a bit better built and placed. The infotainment system has more options (like a computer) while MB is pretty simple (for old guys like me).
MPG: I drove the BMW from Oregon to NY with constant speeds above 80 / 85 MPH and the MPG was about 30MPG. The driving comfort was ok as I drove about 12 hours / day. It bothered when I had to go to speeds lower than 30MPH as the transmission changed gears and it seems to not catch up speed at least as fast as other cars. In the “city”: I did UBER/LYFT for about 6 months and I achieved about 28 MPG in a stop and go traffic about 8-12 hours/day (on the days I worked). During the winter (snow and ice) it performed excellent. No slips, plenty of torque on snowy hills. Now on the NY routes I am getting about 35MPG even more if there were no hills. The best was 45MPG on a 75 miles trip at 45-55MPH.
The GLK250: most highway trips were between Portland and Seattle and the MPG was about 33MPG @ an average of 75MPH. In the city (stop and go) I am constantly getting about 30 MPG. But leaving from stop lights is a pleasure.
NOISE: Definitely both cars are quitter than their predecessors and while running you won’t make the difference between the gas and diesel engines. However, GLK is at least 50% quitter than X3.
Now if I would have to start shopping again, I will definitely not buy an X3 anymore, but 2 GLK’s. Unfortunately, MB is not making diesel mid-size SUV’s / cross-overs or at least this is what I know at this point.
Breaks: I drove Toyota and Honda for many years, but BMW’s breaks are worst. You have to push hard on them is not like the other cars where you gentle push the breaks and stops without efforts. If you’ll check the forums you’ll see that breaks and rotors are a common problem for BMW’s. If you open up the CARFAX reports on autotrader, you’ll see that almost every 30k the pads/rotors were replaced. GLK has pretty much the same habit, but maybe at 45K…
Hopefully this will help you take the right decision. Feel free to ask questions if you have [contact info removed].