Used 2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura RL Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (240 reviews )

Overall great car - a lot of technology for 2005.
By ron williams

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Been a great car, great in snow.. On the downside - too many recalls, nearest dealer 80 mioles away, has been an issue.

Extremely underrated
By Corey Robison

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I don’t understand why anyone would buy a bmw, Mercedes, or Audi over an Acura. I’ve never had a problem since buying my rl. The navigation didn’t work when I purchased the vehicle (a known issue in older Acura’s) but I have my phone for that. The ride, handling, and engine are superb.

great car
By Ricky

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

my 1 concern about this car is the cheap leatherette used inside door pannel and centre console they bubble up then tear.

A hidden gem.
By D del

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded an 05 Lexus GS300 for this car. I found the GS extremely comfortable, quiet, and with solid build quality. But I wouldn't go back to that because it was just a bore to drive.

Now to the RL. I could care less that this looks or is often mistaken for a Honda Accord. I'll readily admit Acura doesn't have the prestige factor of a Lexus or Audi, both of which I've owned. It's not why I buy cars. The RL is really a hidden gem, a sleeper of sorts. It might not look special, it might not be the fastest, most luxurious nor the best driving car.

It ccomplishes what I both need and desire in a car - AWD (sh-awd is no gimic, this system should be the AWD standard. I've owned a few Audi's and while Quattro is great in its own right especially in snow, Honda has something great in SH-AWD), reliability, sportier driving dynamics, luxury features, decent style in/out (nothing flashy, not overstyled, something that will age well, which conservative styling typically achieves) And honestly, I think it's a great looking car.

There are a couple things I'd change which I know Acura has in newer models. The 5 speed tranny is slow to shift in manual mode. It also seems more geared toward fuel economy over sport, which I'd get but the fuel economy isn't the greatest. There are bigger cars with V8's that get better mileage. I don't like that I have to switch to a different menu to control the climate. The voice commands are helpful but not always practical (like if a passenger is trying to sleep)

Very Happy
By fargin

2005 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of the best cars I have owned and the Acura dealer is always nice. I have had Audi and Bmw and Acura is so much better overall in every category.

All wheel drive, 300hp, stereo, interior

More low end power to the engine.