Used 2000 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

My 3rd and thankfully LAST Volvo
By ds

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This car year was a lemon from the get-go and under no circumstance buy this car. Something was always wrong-at first it was the electrical system, then the headlights, then the gas cap not opening so that the entire rear interior panel had to be removed twice and on long trips. In 7 years of ownership we paid more in time and money for repairs than for the original purchase price. The seats are so uncomfortable and scrunch the driver that I had a painful hip and drove sitting on a pillow the last year of ownership. Volvo service and parts are super expensive and the Volvo dealers in my area are arrogant. It is nice not having to throw away money! Returned to Toyota-much more satisfied.

Money pit
By depressed

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car 3 months ago and it's already in the shop with a blown head gasket (the major problem) and a leaking AWD box, total cost to get our car back is $3,100.00 if they don't find anything else wrong. None of the local import mehcanics could fix the head gasket so we had to have it towed to the nearest Volvo dealership 90 miles away. As soon as we get the car back it's getting traded in. Apparently when they get near 100,000 they are no longer dependable and I've been told to expect between 1,500.00 and 2,500.00 for every repair. It's not worth it. Our passenger side window doesn't work either.

Very comfortable seats, loved the sunroof and cargo net for keeping our dog in the back.

Better cup holders, they are very cheesy. Very sluggish under 30mph. Try making a car that has some longevity like the Japanese.

Great snow car, solid, fairly reliable
By Seattle Driver

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my car about 4 months ago. Had an ABS issue which dealer replaced ($1,600), shortly after that, Catalytic converter went out ($1,300), haven't fixed yet since it isn't a major issue. Car is GREAT in the snow, TONS of room, peppy, comfortable, etc. Would have liked some of these issues NOT to have happened but with the handling of the AWD in the snow, rain, etc., and the safety features, this car is great!

Roominess, Safety features, AWD system

Wish Volvo would still honor the outstanding warranty on the Catalytic converter. A little cheap if you ask me...a lot of problems with this? maybe you should fix them Volvo...good one...Whose fault is that on the faulty catalytic converter issues? Thank you...

Disappointed with 2000 V70XC SE
By Jarod Focha

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this vehicle when my wife and I decided to have kids for safety reasons. I bought it with only 42K on it. Dealership had just gone through it and I have the $2K receipt to prove it. Immediately I had problems with the front axle. My mechanic was able to get Volvo to pick up the $2K bill. When the vehicle hit 75K miles the car began falling apart. Turbo went out $2.5K. Car never drove the same after changing it out at the dealership. Shudders, runs rough. 2 months later the fuel pump went out another $2K. 1 month the axle and AWD need repair another $1K. When it goes it goes and nothing is cheap. Not your ideal vehicle if you cannot afford expensive, frequent repairs.

Before turbo went out ran like a dream. Very smooth, nice comfortable car until about 65K miles.

Higher quality parts that last longer than 60-70K miles. The dealership told me the turbos never go out and should last 150K+. Interior is cheap and falls apart also. Leather on side panels pulls away, panels come loose easily. A lot of front end problems with the AWD. SE=super expensive.

Dogs love their Volvo
By aman 4allseasons

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had my Volvo for three years now and have enjoyed it. Mine is the Cross County which means it has the turbo engine; unfortunately the turbo Cross Country is not available anymore. Those extra ponies is great when you need to pass someone. I really like the cargo net that is built into the rear seats as it keeps the dogs out of the passenger area, most of the time. Except when my Australian Shepard got around it and ate a whole plate of macaroni & cheese. My Volvo has a load leveling system in the rear suspension which is really nice. Handles great on turns Dislikes: cup holder, which does look like it did come from a Happy Meal. 1 variable wiper

Seats which are the best in the industry. lighted window switches. Turbo engine. Automatic transmission system. AWD. Emergency maneuver system. Heated front seats and side mirrors. Drivability & handling.

improved cup holders. Windshield wipers that automatically come when it rains. move the cruise controls to the steering wheel. more durable window switches & latch for the rear tailgate. The interior panel of same fell off. ipd out of Portland Or. has a nice kit to secure it.