2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Safe/Great in Snow, but buy ex. warranty
By Nicole on 01/02/05 07:10 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my XC. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but make sure to get the extended warranty, and make sure your service techs know what they're doing! Great in snow, handled 2 winters with all season tires like a dream. Wouldn't dream of getting rid of it. Got hit by drunk driver in it, and car was barely dented. It's like a tank!!!

So much money for THIS????
By sunprairie on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We have friends who get a new Cross Country Wagon every 2 years and swear by them, but we got a lemon. Ours had a bad fuel pump and injection system, among other things, and it took several return visits to 3 diff. dealerships, two complete breakdowns, and finally negotiations with Volvo directly to figure out the problem, and who will pay for the repair when it was just outside of the warranty. Twice the car just stopped working while driving. It shakes at high speeds and my 1996 Honda Accord had a smoother ride. I didn't buy a $40,000 car so my family and I could be stranded twice. Servicing the car is costly even with no problems.

Some problems, but still feel safe
By firstimevolvoowner on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

Car had some initial problems with ignition system, and has had to have a number of minor nuisance type repairs. With 52,000 miles, I've already replaced the brake pads twice, had the rotors machined at 36,000 miles and then replaced at 52,000. Handles well, and is very quiet and comfortable. Gas mileage is good at +/- 24 combined. Just wish I could get 75,000 trouble free miles like the 4 Toyotas I owned before this car.

awd amazing
By jmf on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

My first Volvo - love it. Although I would like more power it would be sufficient for most people. The AWD is unstoppable in the snow (and I've tried). The heated mirrors are nice in New England. The interior is as nice as any car in the price range (love the heated seats) and the exterior is still somewhat stylish (for a volvo) despite the model change in '01. I've only had it 7 months but so far so good.

Sorry to rate so poorly
By jaxroon on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We were very excited about our purchase, we both dreamed of owning a Volvo for years. Were we just unlucky or is this vehicle one of the most unreliable, poorly manufactured automobile ever made? Constant sensor issues (each sensor cost approx. $500. New Tranny after 35,000 miles. Bulbs constantly blowing, electrical problems, a new angle gear ($2500) after $85,000 miles. Software upgrade for the new tranny after 2 yrs, and the list goes on and on...this car must have cost us $10K in repairs, towing and scheduled maintenance for the 4 years we have owned it. Just a warning folks!

I love this car
By VolvoforMe on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 3rd 700-series wagon. It is fast and comfotable. It has the world's best seats, too. On dry roads, it handles like a sports car. On slippery roads, handling is predictable and confidence-inspiring. I love this car and definitely will buy another.

great when there is nothing to fix
By OHguy on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Loved the car while we had it. Bought it in Nov. of 2001 as a repo, car was pre-certified with warranty to 74,000 miles. Just got rid of the car a week ago. Had to replace the throttle body, had shifter lights fixed, fixed a leak in the oil pan, front headlight wiper needed to be fixed, replaced ball joints, pinion seals. A lot was covered by warranty, but spent 2,00+ out of pocket and needed to spend another 700+. Put a good set of Dunlops on the car and they didn't last 15,000 miles, so went back to Michelin tires and no more excessive tire wear

Great family car
By XC90_Owner on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This was our fourth Volvo. Tough car with very few mechanical problems. Comfortable on long drives or around town. The turbo makes this a great car for Colorado, where normally aspirated engines lose a lot of horsepower at altitude. Excellent in snow, with the right tires.

fun to drive, but only when it works!
By drj20 on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

The car is not that old and I have had to replace, as far as I can tell, everything. The turbo (!), the brakes, the catalytic converter, and lots of things with mysterious names and big price tags. I think the car is really fun to drive and it is the most comfortble car in the world. I also think whoever designed and built it was having a bad day. As much as I love the car when it is working, I would say that this is a car to stay away from.

Best Volvo So Far
By volvofanatic on 10/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 5th Volvo Wagon and it is by far the best I have ever owned. This one is a keeper. Great versatility and aggressive looks make this vehicle capable of getting second looks.