2004 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Long Term Evaluation
By swedewheels on 09/29/13 22:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned the S60 2.5T for ten years, 175,000+ miles, until the sad day I totaled it. What I've learned from my Volvo experience - ultra reliable, smooth running, and well built. Some driver sight line issues. Repairs: after 75k much front end work on tie rods, bearings, & struts and was still a little rattely. Replaced many tail lights (always kept spares in trunk). No drive train issues except some trans shift flaring from day 1. Interior plastic parts (console lid and steering wheel adjustment handle) broke about 100k. Gas port lid hinge (cheap plastic) broke off at 35k and lost lid on freeway. No rear seat space. Overall an 8.5 out of 10

Beloved Car, great investment.
By ccolli17 on 02/28/12 12:50 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The 2004 Volvo S60 was my first Volvo, and will not be my last. It is my strong belief that the car has saved my life twice, and has also had minimal problems, especially for someone as hard on cars as I am. I bought the car in 2008 with only 28,000k on it, and put 89,000k on it in a 3-year time frame (117,000 k by 2012). The car withstood 2 minor accidents and 2 major accidents. During the time I owned the car, I replaced a fuel sensor that was a factory recall, one battery, one break job, tires when necessary, and all other replacements were due to car accidents- pretty amazing for 89,000k miles of use.

Volvo S60 2.5T 2004dc
By DCottrill on 07/20/10 07:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car as it was being "pulled" off the truck. It has been an excellent vehicle these past 7 years with no maintenance issues. I have followed the mfg guidelines for service, every 7,500 miles, and it continues to run like a top as they say. A most recent 1,800 mile round trip to S.C. from Ohio averaged 32.3 mpg including some city driving. The only drawback would be the leg room in the rear seating area, but trunk space is huge for this size of vehicle. I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 130,000 miles. I hope the new owners of Volvo don't change a thing on quality!

Trouble in Volvoland
By Clyde Beck on 07/28/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

In may of 2004 my Fiancée and I traveled to Sweden to pick up my new S60. It was a wonderful experience and most of it was paid for by Volvo. I'm in to my forth year now and early last year I had an issue that never got resolved. While driving one day my side view mirror glass began to wobble. I quickly pushed on it and that prevented it from falling off. Five days latter while making a left hand turn my passenger side view glass mirror fell of and crashed to the ground. I contacted my Volvo dealer where I had been taking my car for service for four years and they replaced the mirrors and charged me. I thought that wasn't right because it had to be a manufacturing defect.

Great used car purchase
By KeepKeysAwayFromWife on 06/27/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 04 S60 2.5T in May 09 with ~60k miles for ~$10k. Although not as tight or responsive as 91 Jetta GLI, car is fun to drive with adequate hp. Suspension is firm, but steering feedback is less than GLI. Seats are very comfortable, but not as snug as Recarro's of GLI. MPG settling in around 21.5 with mix of very short daily commute with 1 hr drives to airport. Even with STC on, the car will squeal tires. Wife would not drive Acura CL, but regularly absconds with the S60!

Piece of junk
By DZwink on 04/26/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought our Volvo when we decided to start a family due to the safety reputation. My sister had owned three, one of which saved her life in a wreck, and had also managed to put 300,000 miles on one without incident. Ours is now about to go in the shop for the third time in two months. It has had three parts in the fuel system fail so far with Volvo comping me on one due to my less than pleased opinion of the car so far. I've never had this many problems with a car before. I won't be buying another one. Makes me wish I had bought the Infiniti or Volkswagen I was looking at instead of this.

Disappointed
By M on 03/06/06 18:44 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The car is nice looking and safe, but beyond that I have not been impressed. The turning radius is terrible, it takes about 5 turns to get out of a parking space. The automatic key lock has a prolonged delay, and I find myself waiting for my doors to open and lock. The car makes noises when you turn left, and the dealer said "thats just what this car does". Brake pads are not covered under the warranty and they needed to be replaced at 15,000 miles. Overall not impressed with the Volvo, and would not buy another.

First Luxury Car Purchase
By mjsa196 on 01/02/05 01:44 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The Volvo S60 2.5T is a joy to drive. The smooth transmission and comfortable seats make city and cross crountry driving a pleasure. There is enough pep when you need to get around someone or something with the handling to supplement it. Great car.

Update after 5 months
By Straightnochaser2 on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I left my first review on 5/8/04, and my Volvo is going strong after 5 months. No problem whatsoever. My mother actually drives this car, and she really likes this car. So that makes me that much happier about my purchase of a Volvo. Such a cool name for a car by the way. I'm a big fan of Volvo. Great car with great value. I look forward to succeeding this car from my mother in three years, when I'll buy a bigger better safter more luxurious more expensive car for her. Volvo for life? I believe it!

no regrets
By lung doc on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car for my wife. We had previously leased a 2001 volvo XC70 but wanted to downsize, as I drive a Honda Pilot (great vehicle). The dealer offered me the S60, black with sport and premium packages for 28 K (sticker was 35). I took it for a test drive and was impressed.

1 2 3 4 5 next »