Not true to its reputation
By kylecallahan on
2002 Volvo S60 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
Volvo is a safe car, right? That's what we've all come to expect. Careful, my friend, you are being mislead! I've been reasonably happy; reasonably.... until now. Seems our 2002 S60 indicated a difficulty with the airbag system. No matter, right? It has a bucket of them, what's the big deal if one goes bad? Well, the fact is, when one goes bad, the Entire Air Bag system is disabled!n Go figure! The safest car on the road becomes a hulking death trap. Seems like an extraordinary design flaw, doesn't it? Not according to Volvo - that's what they intended. Inconceivable! Price to fix? Over a grand. Expensive junk, uncaring company, flawed product. Beware, folks. Reselect!
By richpsu
on 05/08/13 20:40 PM (PDT)

Although I'm sorry to hear this owner faced this issue, I don't think an airbag issue alone merits such a poor review. I am not affiliated with Volvo, but am a car enthusiast. As such, I'll share the following: At the time of this user's review, the car was 10-11 years old. Airbag systems are electronically-actuated and, often times in older cars, electronic components go bad. Cars move and shake and this can cause sensors and wires, etc... to break over time. Also, as I understand it, most vehicles with airbags will disable the entire system if there is one fault - this is for the safety of the consumer. Imagine having an airbag deploy unexpectedly while driving because the computer listened to a faulty sensor - it would be very dangerous. I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban with a faulty airbag sensor and, until I get it fixed, none of the bags will work. I've been told by service stations that it will be over $1,000 to fix, so I'm doing my research on forums figuring out how to isolate the issue myself to save $$. Also - food for thought - a $1,000 repair used to be a car-killer back in the 80's & 90's...but when a payment on a decent used car is $250/mo or more, a $1,000 repair can often times be justified - especially if that vehicle has been otherwise reliable... Food for thought...