2004 Volvo S40 2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Awesome Car at a Great

2004 Volvo S40 - Consumer Review

2.4i Sedan (2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Automatic)

Awesome Car at a Great Price
By James Powers on

2004 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have the 2004.5 S40 2.4i with Premium Package/Sound, Convenience. I chose the 2.4i because I didn't feel the T5 was $3K faster, meaning the 2.4i has some good enough zip for me. As most others have written, you are saving quite a few bucks when choosing the S40 over the TSX, A4 or C230. I came down to the Acura TSX and the S40. I paid about $2K less, understanding the great reliability history of Acura. At the end of the day I felt Acura is a small Accord with a sport package. As for the A4 and C230, both were great cars but were about $5K more. I would not have considered the old S40 nor the current S60, but the new 2004.5 S40) is a solid car!

Favorite Features

Premium sound is definitely many notches above the base stereo. Choose it only if music is an important part of your driving experience. The centre console is easy to use if you watch the demo CD or read the manual. The leather they use is good quality and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I'm digging real deep here, because I think they did great with the new S40. I do think they need to find a better place for the ignition. I have had to train myself not to smack the windshield wipers when starting the car. Very minor but that's all I've got!