Love/hate relationship with this $-pit
By Jeanne on
2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I love everything aesthetically and performance-wise about this car. But I HATE the repair bills. Last year it cost me $4K in total repairs, and more this year. I've always been good about oil changes and general maintenance, but man o man it got expensive after 100K miles. Tie rods, ball joints, brakes, O2 sensors (and there are a lot of them), catalytic converter. Engine light NEVER goes off. Now it won't pass inspection without $1800 more in repairs and I'd rather spend money on a newer car than old, so I'm saying good bye (and sadly, good riddance) to the first car I ever truly loved. Must say I'm getting a decent trade in allowance from a VW dealer. No one else wants to touch it!
Favorite Features
leather, sun roof, temp. controls, cool dash, great paint looks new after 120K miles! Love the roomy cargo space, roof rack, great sound. Nice car for long road trips. Love everything about its looks and performance.
Suggested Improvements
Not much you can do to improve a 2001 model at this point. My biggest disappointments: it seems impossible to fix for the long term. I wanted this car to last for years more, and it can't without repairs that just cost too much, so I have to trade it in. I will miss so much about this car.