Used 1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

after 18 years never stop
By Rogerio Albino

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan CL 4dr Sedan

I’m a owner of a Passat Cl 1.6td since 2002 and the car it´s from the year 1922 and never let me on foot. 312000 KM and only needs changes of oil, filters some belts to prevent end Diesel. Of course it’s not too funny to drive it but we can make some travels and you not tired when you stop. Globally has a very good construction, without parasite noises (I have friends whit new cars whit a lot of noises because de construction and plastics…), very very good friability, and whit a maintenance very cheap.

comfort, maintenance, construction

Cheap Beater
By RoughRider

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for $800 = lots of margin for repair costs. 190K mi when bought 194K miles now. Avg 39mpg, hi 42, low 23 (teaching son to drive std). Total expenses to date (purchase, tax, title, tags, fuel and repairs): $1925. Some body rust showing. Heater core went - replacement is MAJOR undertaking. Some electrical glitches (smack the dash in the right place to make things work). Sunroof issues. Headliner fabric came loose (removed it & painted the liner with textured flocking). Picked up car in sub-freezing temperatures in January, drove nonstop from eastern PA to north central IL, averaged 525 miles to 16 gallon fill-up @85mph. Would drive this car anywhere for the next 100K mi or so.

Cavernous trunk, great premium CLOTH seats, sporty 5 spd tranny, good power & performance, sunroof (when it works), split folding rear seat, good mileage for performance, low insurance (who would steal a 92 Passat?). Great first car for my son. Great road car with in-town utility.

Vacuum locking system??? What were they thinking? Sunroof mechanism needs work. Steering wheel adjustment locking mechanism is weak. E-brake system locks on. Headliner. Heidelberg "security" radio - get rid of it. Sun visor shrinkage and poor quality of materials. Strange light wiring setup. Horn?

I would buy again
By Jones

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had this vehicle for probably over 10 years, and I just cannot seem to part with it. I love it; it has been one of my favorite cars to drive. It performs great even with the a/c on. It was very impressive driving in the mountains. I sat it up for a few years and I am in the process of getting it back into good driving condition. I had problems with the fuel system, very costly. I also had the timing belt break. I did not repair that motor, I replaced it with another engine from another passat I purchased. I changed over the a/c and it was ice cold until I let the car sit.

Great performance, roomy, and ice cold a/c.

A little on the noisy side. The car is very expensive to maintain, and is prone for expensive electrical problems.

Worth Every Penny
By wags

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan CL 4dr Sedan

I have to admit, I've done extensive work to "rejuvenate" my Passat, but come on... everyone complains about having things break "all the time". My car is 15 years old. How can I complain. As a father of 2, the back seat alone makes this car great. We almost bought a Corolla until we couldn't fit an infant seat in the car. I do long for cup holders, but live without them for the many upsides it has. I pulled 39.5 mpg on my last highway only trip and regularly get 30+ with mixed driving. Just do the recommended services religiously! I'm at 175,000 miles with original powertrain. My wife's hoping to see the 300,000 mile mark:)

The back seat space, front seat space, power, and good gas mileage.

Add cup holders...

Don't Buy One
By Robinson

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

If the timing belt snaps say goodbye to your valves / cylinder head. My Passat had chronic mechanical problems. It seems like there is a repair needed every month. The transmision operation is not smooth and sluggish to shift. It rides like a horse drawn wagon. Repairs and parts are expensive. The engine will not start when the it is hot unless you use high octane fuel only - the dealership seems inept at finding solutions to problems. They have you replace sensor after sensor at great expense and still problems persist.