1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
after 18 years never stop
By Rogerio Albino on 02/08/10 09:02 AM (PST)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan CL 4dr Sedan

I’m a owner of a Passat Cl 1.6td since 2002 and the car it´s from the year 1922 and never let me on foot. 312000 KM and only needs changes of oil, filters some belts to prevent end Diesel. Of course it’s not too funny to drive it but we can make some travels and you not tired when you stop. Globally has a very good construction, without parasite noises (I have friends whit new cars whit a lot of noises because de construction and plastics…), very very good friability, and whit a maintenance very cheap.

Cheap Beater
By RoughRider on 12/02/08 20:38 PM (PST)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for $800 = lots of margin for repair costs. 190K mi when bought 194K miles now. Avg 39mpg, hi 42, low 23 (teaching son to drive std). Total expenses to date (purchase, tax, title, tags, fuel and repairs): $1925. Some body rust showing. Heater core went - replacement is MAJOR undertaking. Some electrical glitches (smack the dash in the right place to make things work). Sunroof issues. Headliner fabric came loose (removed it & painted the liner with textured flocking). Picked up car in sub-freezing temperatures in January, drove nonstop from eastern PA to north central IL, averaged 525 miles to 16 gallon fill-up @85mph. Would drive this car anywhere for the next 100K mi or so.

I would buy again
By Jones on 08/15/08 10:43 AM (PDT)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had this vehicle for probably over 10 years, and I just cannot seem to part with it. I love it; it has been one of my favorite cars to drive. It performs great even with the a/c on. It was very impressive driving in the mountains. I sat it up for a few years and I am in the process of getting it back into good driving condition. I had problems with the fuel system, very costly. I also had the timing belt break. I did not repair that motor, I replaced it with another engine from another passat I purchased. I changed over the a/c and it was ice cold until I let the car sit.

Worth Every Penny
By wags on 01/19/07 19:29 PM (PST)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan CL 4dr Sedan

I have to admit, I've done extensive work to "rejuvenate" my Passat, but come on... everyone complains about having things break "all the time". My car is 15 years old. How can I complain. As a father of 2, the back seat alone makes this car great. We almost bought a Corolla until we couldn't fit an infant seat in the car. I do long for cup holders, but live without them for the many upsides it has. I pulled 39.5 mpg on my last highway only trip and regularly get 30+ with mixed driving. Just do the recommended services religiously! I'm at 175,000 miles with original powertrain. My wife's hoping to see the 300,000 mile mark:)

Don't Buy One
By Robinson on 10/26/05 19:37 PM (PDT)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

If the timing belt snaps say goodbye to your valves / cylinder head. My Passat had chronic mechanical problems. It seems like there is a repair needed every month. The transmision operation is not smooth and sluggish to shift. It rides like a horse drawn wagon. Repairs and parts are expensive. The engine will not start when the it is hot unless you use high octane fuel only - the dealership seems inept at finding solutions to problems. They have you replace sensor after sensor at great expense and still problems persist.

Flint-Detroit 'beater'
By Rob Granzow on 07/03/05 07:07 AM (PDT)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan CL 4dr Sedan

Vehicle has held up fairly well through the years, but the styling is dated and the noise and vibration not up to todays standards. Good residual value, but I truly don't understand why this is so.

Great Road Car
By A Quist on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've owned my VW Passat since new, eleven years, and 253,800 miles. That should be enough said. If it wasn't fun to drive, I wouldn't have kept it that long. I kept good care of it, and it didn't let me down until it got to be 10 years old. On the road, I would get a consistent 35 MPG, and only occasionally down to 27 MPG in the city.

Don't even think about it! 1992 model
By JIQG on 06/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

A 1992 is not a reliable car. I felt in love with the car due to its handling, excellent!. But it made a big dent on my wallet. Oil leaks, serious problems with the cooling system, the heating system, the dash board malfunction, the air conditioning system collapsed, the powered windows went Kaput!. Do not even considered to get this model. I still wander Why I had kept it this long? Not reliable at all, very expensive parts, not every mechanic knows how to work on it. Get a good manual and special tools to change parts, or take it to the VW dealer to get it fix.

The Red-Headed Stepchild
By Wes16V on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Hey! This IS an eleven year old car, if I wanted to drive an appliance I would buy a Honda or Toyota. I don't, so I bought a VW. Considering buying? Stay far far far away from the automatic transmission, it WILL fail (the manual is bullet proof, though). Also, make sure you change the timing belt and tensioner the day after you buy it and enjoy!

Don't even consider it!!!!!
By Ty on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Worst vehicle I've owned ever (I've owned lots of vehicles). Problems with automatic transmission, AC, electrical, motor mounts, control arms, fuel pump, fuel sending unit, gas tank, oil leaks, burning oil with less than 120 kilometers on it. Will never buy VW again!!!