2002 Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - RUN!!! Don't walk away

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

RUN!!! Don't walk away
By Shane-in-FL on

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliability issues have been prevelant ever since it was reintroduced in '98. The window regulator issue was present from '98- '02 and coilpack failure plagued turbo model cars from '00-'03. I had my car just two weeks when it failed to start after the starter selenoid shorted out. I don't expect such problems from a car that holds a MSRP of $20,900. I suggest people who are considering a Beetle as their next car to closely look at the Acura RSX(~S),Mercedes C230 Coupe, or Mazda 6 just to name a few. The market for used Beetles is HORRIBLE!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, peppiness of the turbo when not experiencing turbo lag, and headroom for exceptionally tall people.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the speed activated spoiler: It scares passengers,the interior needs extensive work.(Boost guage, temperature guage, better dash design, better quality sound system with the Monsoon package, and give the car a much needed exterior facelift.