Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Instant Gratification
By alyslever

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I'm a 21 year old girl that always wanted a VW Jetta. Little did i know, they suck! After the first week of having it my front bumper started falling off. My car has been in the shop since day 1. I love the way the car looks but it's not the most practical car. Ive had so many problems such as, catalytic converter, trans, alternator, belts, a/c, ABS, etc. The inside of the car is junk. Everything falls off or apart. Have fun if you decide to buy this car!

Favorite Features

I love the pep in this car. It drives around like a go-cart. I like the interior lighting. The body style is also very stylish.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality all the way around.

Don't buy
By steponme274

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I've had my car for two years. At first I loved it, it was cute and trendy. Well now every time I pull out of a parking space my front bumper falls off. I've had to replace two batteries. My electric windows died. The interior is shot ( leaks, falling headliner, parts breaking.) I've spent thousands in repairs. Today I'm going to the auto shop to replace the reference sensor $233 and the oxygen sensor $247. Non stop repairs

Favorite Features

The look

Suggested Improvements

Electric issues, get it together

The usual
By Jill

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

From me you get much of the same: Love the looks, annoyed by the reliability. But it's good not to have a car payment. Since buying my car in 1999 I've replaced the coil pack at least once, maybe twice, replaced the wiper motor (which then failed again but I got a replacement free). In the last 4 months, at about 80,000 miles, I've replaced the O2 sensor and manifold, which combined with the wipers cost about $2000. I need a new catalytic converter, which will be around $1300. Yet I can't afford a new car, so oh well. Combined city and highway overall mileage has been about 25 mpg, so that's decent.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, decent but not great mileage. Feels fairly safe.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability! Also less expensive parts and repairs - it's a VW, not a BMW.

Dont Do It!!!!!!
By Ryan

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I had heard what reliable cars VWs were, at the time I was employed at a Buick dealership and a Jetta came in on trade. I bought it, HUGE MISTAKE. Car is expensive to maintain. Emission control problems, Interior parts I.E. Glove box door, lamps, cup holders, all complete junk. Car uses excessive amounts of oil, window regulators break, replaced catalytic converter twice. Parts are way overpriced..a new ignition key is 200 dollars. Customer service and support are as unreliable as the car.

Favorite Features

Like dash light color, nice on highway for a small car. Otherwise not a thing.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade interior reliability,improve customer service. Tighten tolerances on engine so oil does not "evaporate"I am an old school Chevy guy, wife wanted this cute car. NEVER NEVER AGAIN Piece of @%$#

One for the road
By Ray

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This was the Jetta IV. I bought it new with a sunroof, VR6, 5 speed manual, mag wheels. It was my third VW. I expected a well constructed, reliable, German automobile with fair service at the dealership. It is reliable, but something is always in need of repair. Service at a dealer is a killer... $700+ to replace an alternator. Problems: the alternator, springs keep falling out of the front seats, cup holder breaks easily, glove compartment door broke, AM radio has never worked, regulators on two front windows broke, motor on right rear window shot, both water pumps repleaced, MAF sensor replaced, O2 sensors in cat replaced, antenna cracked, headlight covers have fogged over, surge

Favorite Features

Sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

See above.