1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Lots of Trouble
By neveragain on 12/10/06 03:23 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I put a lot of work into this car when I bought it used. It only had 65,000 miles miles on it. At 75,000 miles it had a major break down and I had to put $3,000 of work into it. Also, this car's body lean around corners is terrible. I think it contributed to the car spinning out twice. Both times I was going around a corner at less than 10 mph more than the posted limit. I've never had a car spin out on me before, and I have driven a lot of cars. On the upside, the body is quite sturdy and didn't damage much on impact though the seatbelt injured me. The transmission on the automatic never seemed to want to shift up even though I had it serviced when I bought it. It could have been abused, but still.... This car was a bit of a money pit.

I'll Buy Another VW
By k schlueter on 11/28/06 21:25 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought the Jetta when I was driving 120 miles a day round trip to work. I needed reliability and fuel economy and a degree of cool was important, too. I am a very happy customer with over 162,000 miles and expecting another 100,000. I love my little red practically perfect VW Jetta. Now I only drive six miles round trip each day. My Jetta is still perfectly wonderful for my purposes. Plus, no car payments! I will strive to keep this car a very long time, But when I finally do buy my next new car, it will be a VW- maybe a Passat next time.

Style Over Substance
By AK Jetta on 10/08/06 15:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

We really liked the style and the roomy interior and trunk. However, we had several problems including: driver window failure; body trim falling off; radio controls quit working; turn signal lever stopped working; throttle body had to be replaced and other mechanical issues. This all happened at various stages of our eight year ownership. The first few years went smoothly and the car now has 92,000 miles. I probably would not buy another Jetta, but this one made it through three cross-country trips, including one to Alaska.

1999 Volkswagen Jetta
By VW 3 on 09/29/06 03:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my VW Jetta and it has been great for a year. I had problems with the dash lights behind the temperature panel. Then it started to have electrical problems. I could not open the gas filler door, then the alarm would not lock the doors, then the trunk light went out and only turns on when it wants. Next the A/C broke. Oh, the glove box is hanging by one hinge. On the positive side, I love the ride and it can do high speeds on the highway. Its gas mileage is great. I would say the quality needs to get better. I bought this car because my Mom owned a '73 Bug and never had a problem. Then I owned it and never had a problem. I mistakenly thought the Jetta would be the same.

Used to Love VW
By Brian B on 08/08/06 14:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Jetta new with a 100,000 mile warranty. The starter went out at 38,000 miles (not covered). The window motor went out at 42,000 miles (not covered). The side molding came off at 50,000 miles (not covered). Now the stereo volume doesn't work properly and the big one, I need a new tranny and the clutch went out at 65,000 miles (probably covered but forgot to take it to the dealer). Oh yeah, my second starter went out at 55,000 miles and my second and third window motors are gone.

Runs Awesome, Have Minor Problems
By Tim on 07/31/06 06:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My Jetta runs great. I take it on the Autobahn and top her out, but take care of her as well. The check engine light is always on, but apparently it will blink if something major happens. Other than that, I plan on keeping it for a long time, add some sway bars and suspension.

Adam Sandler's Car Song must be a Jetta
By Never again! on 06/20/06 18:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

All of the problems listed here I have dealt with too, except for the green stuff in the door. The latest: it thinks it is in reverse when it is in park. It won't start in park (only in neutral). When I have it in drive all the gears light up on the instrument panel. My mechanic called TWO VW dealers and VW claims that they have never heard of such a thing! Mechanically the car is in park, but the computer senses it's in reverse. (I replaced the neutral safety switch because that's what they thought was wrong, but it wasn't that ... $250 down the drain). I will NEVER buy another VW.

Hope you can drive a stick
By JLo on 04/15/06 08:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

For those who want an automatic transmission get ready for some fun. The memory transmission is so sensitive that it shifts differently according to what pair of shoes I have on. This can be VERY ANNOYING! I hope that this is not a big problem in the newer models. I had my transmission reset when I first got the car because the shifting was so weird. It's good on gas and I haven't had any other problems. Oh yeah and it has minimal torque. This is a great car for a commuter, student, or as a second car.

soooo disappointed with my Jetta
By jettas suck on 03/21/06 12:35 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have had nothing but problems with this car! Between the car getting stuck in park, BOTH the driver's side and passenger's side windows falling off the track in the middle of winter in Chicago, the power steering and transmission leaking, the O2 and mass air flow sensor needing to be replaced, my glove box breaking, my passenger's side mirror light breaking, BOTH of my side mirrors rusting, my 6-disc CD changer skipping the CD when it's below freezing outside and now needing to replace my tranmission UNDER 80,000 MILES!! I have spent more money and time than you can dream of on repairs for this car. I am getting rid of the car.

Buy Something Else!
By Joe on 03/03/06 15:04 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this Jetta as a replacement for my aging Saab 900SE in 12/04. This car looked really nice with its low stocky stance and red and blue lights inside. It sure was a looker, but that's where the love affair ended. Fourth gear on the car would rattle and there was a buzzing / rattling in the headliner that would get on my everlasting nerves! It got HORRIBLE gas mileage for a 4yl. car and it had NO power at all. I thought all European cars were made the same, well I guess VW is the redheaded stepchild of the bunch. It also burned oil and the front bumper would occasionally fall off for no apparent reason! I sold it last year and don't miss it at all.