Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Please don't buy this car
By J.P.

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car used and started having problems with it a week afer I bought it. I've had to spend so much money on repairs that I probably could have bought a new, reliable car instead. The windows always malfunction and fall into the doors. The glove box breaks, wiring is faulty, repairs are very expensive, AC compressor broke, lights always go out. It doesn't help that when I tried to have repairs done the dealership kept trying to return it to me without fixing anything or left tools in the engine.

Big trunk

Just don't buy it ad you won't have to worry about neverending repairs.

I FELL IN LOVE WITH MINE
By griffith

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I absolutely love my jetta, great car, and for 4 cylinders its pretty fast, definitely one of the best handling cars. Safe, and it looks awesome, great first car. Reliability has some issues though, it will go into the shop for a seemingly small repair that can come out to hundreds or even thousands of dollars. That was more the dealerships fault though for replacing it with cheap parts and selling it, now that mine is fixed, it runs strong with 130k miles. Me and this car have been through a lot together and I will be sad to see it go, when I sell it in a few months. Definitely prefer this over a Japanese car. Its worth the reliability issues and expensive maintenance.

Sound of the engine, smooth ride, perfect handling, looks great, comfortable.

parts wear out to often, maintenance is too expensive, i have paid more in repairs than the cars value. needs to be more reliable.

This Car Saved My Life
By kellylong

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I totaled my Jetta in a head on collision with a guard rail after a tire blew, and walked away with minor bruises. I then turned around and bought the same exact car. People can say what they will about cup holders breaking and plastic peeling, but I say quit complaining. You either are a VW person or your not, and I am 100%. I had to replace my battery, timing belt @ 120,000k (which was a choice to avoid problems), brakes, and my battery, but these are all things that should be fixed on any vehicle with over 100,000 miles. I am a VW believer all the way.

The bodies sharp appearance, and the excellent get up and go.

The plastic parts in the interior definitely needs some work.

Don't buy one
By vwnomore

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've had to replace the engine due to a "freak accident" where the block was cracked mid drive($4K refurbished). All of my window motors have broken, if you buy this car, yours will break too. The O2 sensors, replaced, the side paneling has fallen off. And then just random things, such as the glove box will no longer open??? The alarm system had to be turned off completely due to that going crazy. Antenna is cracked, I just purchased fog light covers (cause the original drivers side fell off), new headlight due to condensation. Etc. etc. etc. Buying parts is expensive, they almost always have to be VW. My dipstick magically broke off and I had to go thru VW to replace it.

Bose speakers, sunroof, heated seats.

Sell the parts cheaper.

German engineering
By jg

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

The car has been very good in most respects with the one great exception. The electrical system is atrocious. One problem after another with many of the plugs and connectors burning off. Lights interior and exterior which sometimes work sometimes not. Also,nearly every visit to the dealer for repairs ends in a $700 to $1000 bill. NO more farfagnugan for us.

Not many if any.

Less plastic, more copper.