Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi (1999.5) Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Pay me now or pay me later
By OmahaBob

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Styling and ride are fine. I can't believe the things that went wrong that I have never experienced in a car in my life. Windows(2) dropping down into the door for no reason. Both cupholders that won't work. What's that about. Trunk release went inop for no reason. AM radio side has a range of about 2.4 miles. Mass air system not being covered by drive train warranty - but on a regular gas engine it was a recall repair. My power went down 50% because of this. $500 to repair. Stupid,stupid, stupid. Makes customer loyalty hard to consider. Other than this, I love the car. Dumb stuff hurts an otherwise nice car.

Priced right. Great mileage. Handles well. Good styling. Comfortable ride.

Work on common things. Like cupholders, trunk remotes, window retainers, mass air systems... stuff like that. Dependability is why people buy this car.

By blc

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Iíve owned this car for a year and am extremely pleased with this, my 2nd Jetta. The TDI, with its excellent fuel economy is practically the best thing going. Couple this with the longevity and reliability of diesel, itís the hands-down best. Although CR rates this model low in reliability, Iíve had no problems in the past year.

Dash and driving controls are well thought, other than cruise controls (see below)

The rear seats are too small and uncomfortable for long distance, which this car is otherwise perfect for. They also will not recline back. The cruise control has no indicator lamp and is clumsily place on the turn-signal switch. (more recent models correct this)

Excellent design/mediocre quality
By TeddyT

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have a love-hate relationship with this car. Great fun to drive, adequate power, fantastic fuel mileage (43-52 mpg). I drive 40K per year & have pretty pleased. Repairs & maintenance too expensive. $650 timing belt expense. $450 air flow sensor @ 85K.

Fun to drive, comfortable, fuel economy.

VW needs to listen to the consumer and correct the door ooze, timing belt expense and air flow sensor should be a "recall" free maintenance issue.

Great car! Best I've ever owned, I am 40
By RO

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Awesome! Great car. The TDI motor is peppy (when linked to the 5-spd. manual) and gets 45-50 mpg. The driveability is excellent. Sporty. Mine has 70,000 and only minor things have had to be replaced, namely, cup holder assembly, glove box door, and power sunroof track guides. The only other bad thing I've encountered is that in severely cold weather (-10 to 0 degrees), I had the fuel "gel up" on me and had to be towed. Other than that FANTASTIC!. Best car ever owned, this includes: Ford Taurus, Ford Mustang GT, Plymouth Voyager SE, Subaru Wagon, Cutlass Supreme, AMC Spirit, Audi 5000T and more! I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Dash lights, Very, very good sound system (Monsoon). Ride, engine, 5- speed, mpg (45ish). sportiness, "Audiness". Suspension, driveability, road hugging. Lack of problems.

Cupholder assembly (front and rear), glove box door. What is that "goop" coming down from the door hinges onto to the frame?

I love my TDI
By Tarheel TDI

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Sorry it seems almost everyone else dislikes their Jetta. I have over 90K on my TDI and have never had a problem with my O2 sensor, transmission, electrical system, light bulbs, brakes, door ooze, or windows. MAF going bad at 85K and water pump wearing out at 90K are the only mechanical items that gave me heartburn. I empathize with the folks who have seasonal rattles in the interior as that is my only "major" peeve in a car that is fun/comfortable to drive and gets better than 50 MPG on the highway. Our other car is a new 2001.5 Passat which has over 30K of nearly trouble free miles. Our next car will likely be a Jetta TDI wagon or a Passat B6 TDI wagon.

Fuel economy, handling, ride comfort, reliability, style

rework cupholder, done in 2003 models, longer life on timing belt, improve maf longevity, reduce interior rattles in dash and c pillar, increase trunk deck opening size, have trip computer available as option on TDI.

• SUV