1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Pay me now or pay me later
By OmahaBob on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Styling and ride are fine. I can't believe the things that went wrong that I have never experienced in a car in my life. Windows(2) dropping down into the door for no reason. Both cupholders that won't work. What's that about. Trunk release went inop for no reason. AM radio side has a range of about 2.4 miles. Mass air system not being covered by drive train warranty - but on a regular gas engine it was a recall repair. My power went down 50% because of this. $500 to repair. Stupid,stupid, stupid. Makes customer loyalty hard to consider. Other than this, I love the car. Dumb stuff hurts an otherwise nice car.

By blc on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I’ve owned this car for a year and am extremely pleased with this, my 2nd Jetta. The TDI, with its excellent fuel economy is practically the best thing going. Couple this with the longevity and reliability of diesel, it’s the hands-down best. Although CR rates this model low in reliability, I’ve had no problems in the past year.

Excellent design/mediocre quality
By TeddyT on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have a love-hate relationship with this car. Great fun to drive, adequate power, fantastic fuel mileage (43-52 mpg). I drive 40K per year & have pretty pleased. Repairs & maintenance too expensive. $650 timing belt expense. $450 air flow sensor @ 85K.

Great car! Best I've ever owned, I am 40
By RO on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Awesome! Great car. The TDI motor is peppy (when linked to the 5-spd. manual) and gets 45-50 mpg. The driveability is excellent. Sporty. Mine has 70,000 and only minor things have had to be replaced, namely, cup holder assembly, glove box door, and power sunroof track guides. The only other bad thing I've encountered is that in severely cold weather (-10 to 0 degrees), I had the fuel "gel up" on me and had to be towed. Other than that FANTASTIC!. Best car ever owned, this includes: Ford Taurus, Ford Mustang GT, Plymouth Voyager SE, Subaru Wagon, Cutlass Supreme, AMC Spirit, Audi 5000T and more! I'd buy another one tomorrow.

I love my TDI
By Tarheel TDI on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Sorry it seems almost everyone else dislikes their Jetta. I have over 90K on my TDI and have never had a problem with my O2 sensor, transmission, electrical system, light bulbs, brakes, door ooze, or windows. MAF going bad at 85K and water pump wearing out at 90K are the only mechanical items that gave me heartburn. I empathize with the folks who have seasonal rattles in the interior as that is my only "major" peeve in a car that is fun/comfortable to drive and gets better than 50 MPG on the highway. Our other car is a new 2001.5 Passat which has over 30K of nearly trouble free miles. Our next car will likely be a Jetta TDI wagon or a Passat B6 TDI wagon.

Piece of Dung
By ovaleye on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Those who give it praise now will indeed curse this car in the future. I have seen people judge their cars by whether or not they were stranded while driving. This car has stranded me 6 times since purchased in May 1999. That may not seem like much to other Jetta drivers (who probably have not been this fortunate), but I can assure you that it has been quite a disappointing journey for me. I will not go into detail about what has happened to this car during the last three years, due to limited space! Lets just say that I have put nearly $5000 into this car since after the 24000 mile mark!

CAN ANYBODY FIX THIS CAR?
By Dieseled out on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This car was supposed to be my answer to commuting. I cannot keep it on the road. Check engine light has come on at 50,000 miles and at 90,000 miles it is still on. Volkswagen mechanics throw up their hands. What do I do? I have spent $2400 for the mechanics to silence this light. What is the 100,000 mile warrenty for? They still say glow plug relay. I began to bottle and sell the ooze that leaks from the doors. If Volkswagen could fix this problem, I would have a decent car. Power windows are a big joke. Fix them in a timely manner for God's sake. You could not run fast enough to give me another one of these cars.

Never again!!
By Gallinator on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Too much wrong offsets everything that is good about this car. I am on my ***14th*** window regulator! I live in Phoenix and the OOZE on the door sills is present 6+ months out of the year. The front end undercarriage is damaged (low clearance, a common Jetta problem). I finally bought a DieHard battery after the first two supplied by VW died in the first year. Performance, once excellent, now sucks wind - 0-60 in about 14 seconds. Fuel economy has dropped below 35mpg city 40mpg hwy. VW customer service is a joke - they are rude and do not care. I am glad I do not own this vehicle!! Built in Mexico - and it shows!

Jetta TDI falling apart
By Foz on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I am less than impressed with the Jetta TDI I unfortunately purchased.

Great commuter!
By bicicleta on 04/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Love this car so far.... 10K miles @ 50 mpg... commuting at speeds to 80. Plenty of power - can't believe this engine hasn't gotten more press. Wish they'd import the Passat diesel again. The Jetta is just a little small for my two 6' tall sons.