1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Nice car if your pockets run deep
By Frooch on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

No doubt about it as said above the car is fun to drive. Unfortunatly fun to drive comes at outragious cost. Maint. on these things thru your dealership will not come cheap. Waterpumps, belts, anything else with more than 3 hours labor will cost you heavily. As said above my sunroof has broken twice, 2 of the four window regulators went, 2 moldings fell off, my cd changer blew out twice and my foglights die (then physically fall off). Last but not least, after 67000 oilchange documented miles my engine blew. Reasonably priced fix of $6000- haha. The guttyworks of the car are simple to explain... garbage!

Poor Quality
By vw_stinks on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My 1998 (44,000 miles) Jetta is a big disapointment. While it is a fun car to drive, it is hard to keep the car long enough to have too much fun. Since owning this vehicle I have had t the following problems: - 3 out of 4 power windows FAILED - Power Sunroof FAILED - Body molding FELL OFF (on both sides) - Power Steering Pump FAILED - factory battery FAILED after two years - Power Door locks intermitantly FAIL

A zippy little number with lots of power
By Deb on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

You can't beat the great handling and powerful VR6 engine! I love putting the windows down, opening the moonroof and just letting it all hang out.

my 98 jetta GT
By ppgtek on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

the jetta GT is basically a trim package, the funny thing is that people on the street swear thast means its like a GTI. in my opinion the mid ninteys jetta looks a lot better than the newer ones. it looks espically good with the clearcoat paint and the spoiler. the 2.0 engine just sucks, good thing im not into racing. but watch out if your buying this car to hook it up. aftermarket parts are few in number and high in price. and you have to watch out for that too little things can shut down the electrical system of this car, like a new cd player or an new alarm.

I love my Jetta!
By amnotafish on 03/09/02 14:16 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

After two years in this car I'm still in love with it. I drive this car hard and fast and it keeps up with everyone. It hugs the road and feels much safer than other cars I've driven. I get a lot of complments as well- especially from Jetta owners '99-'02. If something (god forbid) were to happen to this car I would have to find another. The '98's are far superior to the newer VW models and kicks my friend's Civic to the curb!