Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

electical nightmare
By eabrennan

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I always wanted a Jetta,and I still think they are the slickest looking vehicles. Unfortunately,I have had countless problems with it. Most ofthe problems are electrical in nature.The cruise control went two years ago,and no one seems to be able to fix it. The volume goes up when I try to turn it down. The power windows are always in need of fixing. The inside door handles don't work in lower temperatures.Many are the days I have had to crawl to the backseat to get out. Once,on my commute home, the hazards came on and the horn started beeping for no apparent reason. Recently,my horn started beeping if I took a left hand turn in temps above 80.

Favorite Features

It looks fabulous

Suggested Improvements

It needs help with the electrical. Also, a cup holder that holds a normal sized cup of coffee would be wonderful

I'm broke
By don'tbuyajetta

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta in 2000, the day I drove it off the lot I knew something was up. I've had several problems; muffler fell off twice, Mileage sucks, the back seats are two small to fit anyone, transmission went at 33,00, fan belt went at 55,000. The exterior (plastic rubber pieces on the side) flew off into the road as I was driving. It's been a nightmare. I drove through a puddle and the sparkplugs got wet and it took days to get it started. Now the car just overheats. I was very religious in taking proper care of this car so it would last me a long time. Please do yourself a favor and don't buy one. It will do a number to your wallet.

Cute but not worth it . . .
By JettaGirl ??

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Jetta as my first brand new car. There are lights in my dash that NEVER worked, the key didn't work at first, I have a lot of rollback even though I drive an automative, I have had successive tire blowouts due to a now recalled part, the car was stuck in park for a week until it was finally fixed, the alarm tends to short out, I have had TWO electrical FIRES from "closing the door too many times" and have had other parts of my car fall apart from the day the warranty ended. Yes Jettas drive great and have lots of great features, but you will pay in the end for the lack of reliablity.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, lots of trunk room, great for mountain driving, good fuel economy, good stereo system, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING that runs off of the battery or gas!

Love My Jetta
By Ohstillsoinlove

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '98 Jetta GLS in Dec. of 1997. It is truly a "people's car" by the best automakers in the world (think Mercedes, BMW, Audi and others available in Europe). Today, I can honestly say this is one of the best cars out there today! After 6+ years and 73000+ miles (and counting), I have not experienced ANY major complications with it. I do the oil changes and tire rotations and that about covers it. Handles magnificently!!! Leaves other compacts in the DUST in its superiority!!! I feel my Jetta is just getting broken in. It is a superb car with outstanding appeal, both inside and out. My next new car will definitely be another Jetta!

Favorite Features

The whole car neatly tied up in one exceptionally beautiful package!

1998 VW Jetta GT
By C. Caputo

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive, fun, sun roof, all my friends have followed in suit and bought a VW.

Favorite Features

sound system, handling on the road

Suggested Improvements

none