Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

TDi Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Best Beater
By tim249 on 01/03/15 02:03 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

I average 48mpg in my TDI, bought this car for an even $1000 (etested & saftied). Came with some racing mod's done (whatever). Had it for a year, replaced one $75 hose and one set of tires for $120 on sale. So in total I've put $1195 in this car (I also only pay $89 a month to insure it as a young male driver). Also being 6'2" I still fit in it nicely enough. It has 456000kms on it and works great and I'm still driving it as my daily driver and farm car. I work the heck out of this car and it's cost me nothing, I've easily paid this car several times over in fuel savings. I'll never buy a new car in my life if I can buy beaters like this.

98 VW TDI
By punta on 01/03/13 11:54 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

240,000 miles of saving me fuel,,,bought new for 13,9999 saved more of the purchase price in fuel saving over the past 14 years...This vech. has been great,,average.. mpg 47...orig, fuel filter,,clutch...only replaced timing belt 3,,times changed the oil every 7500 miles,,...and tires....that is it...Liability insurance and just drive it...Why over do the maintance....Don't let the dealerships take your hard earn money....Good diesel fuel goes a long ways in these motors....No interior parts have broke yet...Note this car has never been garaged... Basic Jetta tdi,,roll up windows,,5 speed,,cruise,No AC,,I live in the Northwest...Get real,,this is all anyone needs...

best car i've ever had
By char on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

bought it brand new, now approaching 240k miles. i really had nothing break, just things that wear out. a couple of years ago i got new shocks so it drives like it's brand new. still on original clutch and rear brakes. actuallly the air conditioner went out this summer. i don't know what went wrong with it. this car exceeded my most optimistic hopes - i couldn't be happier. my last tank i got 48 mpg and i never have to add oil.

Great all around vehicle
By Dan G on 01/29/10 20:26 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive, reliable and gets 40 mpg city driving, 50+ highway. Trim is poor, out and in. Door, manual door locks, molding, glove box, nobs, all have been broke. Living in Denver, CO, it starts in cold and takes a few miles to warm up - that is diesel, no problem. Runs up to the mountains at speed. With 200K, finally replaced clutch. Lots of cooling hoses which are not easy to replace. German engineering: what are thinking? Frustrating to work on, fortunately, that does not occur very often. ANY work by an independent, German mech costs $$$, parts are outrageously $$$, I know my junk yard guy. NO trouble with engine,fuel, cooling, heating, electric systems (manual windows).

By chefbob on 07/23/06 13:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

I have this car for eight years now. 227,000 miles later and I am still getting 45 - 50 mpg! I love the car but I hate the dealerships! Even though I have had minor problems...glow plugs, hoses, batteries nothing is ever in stock and takes weeks to get. I have found a local mechanic who works on the diesels and I'm very happy now. Change your oil, timing chain, and get your manifold cleaned at around 100,000 miles along with the innercooler and you will love this car. I'm trying for 300,000 miles as long as I can stay away from the dealership.

good mileage however.....
By krc on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

The car has been great on long trips mileage and ride however the quality is not up to the Honda Civic I had. I just got the car out of the shop cost $ 1385.00 and that does not include the injector pump covered under warranty ($1600) It is back in the shop after two weeks with a hard start problem. cost??? Haven't got it back yet.

TDI Jetta
By abcde on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

Great mileage and fun to drive and is very comfortable for long periods. After 45000 glow plugs had to be replaced for $600 and dealer had car for 2 weeks. I thought they should do better on both. No loaner available! No other problems with vehicle.

Inspired car with fatal flaw
By JohnTDI on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

Bought the car brand new, May 98, & I've had a love/hate relationship w/ it ever since. The car is a blast to drive...great acceleration & amazing fuel efficiency. Car's efficiency has ruined me for all other cars. Frustrations: radio replaced twice, key ignition sticks in start position, replaced fuel injection manifold, replaced 2 glow plugs, all 4 side moldings peeled off, hard starting in WARM weather (recent problem). Problems have been covered by the 100k mile warranty, but what happens when it runs out? Car will cost more to maintain after 100K miles than it did to make payments on it. Bought it for fun, economy, & reliability. Ended up with 1 of 3.

i love my nellie
By dieselgirl on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

love the rumble - has started all 4 Minnesota winters - carbon buildup in the intake is a problem at approx. 90k

98 TDI
By epshade on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

Bought in 2000 when 2 years old. Problems with the turbo, dealer replaced for free even though I am the third owner. Consistently get 50 mpg +/- 1 mpg winter, summer, city or highway. Lots of torque; I do not use first gear. Handling very good, and the car is balanced so that it sometimes tricks me into thinking it is a rear-wheel drive car in the winter, and I slide past a turn when I downshift to slow down. Only negatives are that one door is stuck shut (due to handle?). Can't VW fix this after two decades? Also, stock shocks/struts are junk; KYB improved handling significantly.