1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Jetta
By Hank on 02/05/07 06:22 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for over five years and have had no problems. This is my third VW and have been pleased with each. This is a fun vehicle to drive and it corners very well with minimal under steer. The heated cloth seats work great.

Unreliable and Expensive
By Jimbo on 12/26/06 13:06 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I like the design and handling of this car however there have been several major issues. My car has had a series of electrical issues and you need to be a contortionist to get to the fuse box. I've had the air conditioner fail. the fan switch short out and MELT, the coil cracked (a common issue) and this is in addition to the exhaust rattling (another common problem). You expect to have to do replacement of wearable mechanicals however this is an expensive car to repair. Even basic replacement items such as struts are far more expensive than any car I've ever had. You have to go to the dealer to replace/ top off trans fluid in automatics. Idiotic.

Never Buy a VW
By ihatevw on 12/09/06 10:32 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I really hate this car with a passion. Literally every day something goes wrong. Yesterday my starter went. I had it replaced. Today the idle is going crazy and its smelling like gas really bad. The coolant system is terrible. Pretty much everything on this car is designed poorly and made of plastic. The exhaust rattles of the underside of the car. The electrical system is total junk. I have had problems with this car since day one. If you are reading this and are considering getting a VW, please go buy a Honda, seriously.

My VR6 is AMAZING...
By gh225345 on 11/08/06 16:36 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I really love this car. I've had it for a little over a year now and it runs excellently. I've had to replace a few minor things such as hoses and belts, clutch, and the trim started coming off but it was an easy fix with an adhesive tape that you can get from any auto parts store...it's called molding tape. I've put many high performance parts on my VW and it has 250 whp with no problems with the motor at all. I would highly recommend this vehicle. Just make sure you inspect it before you buy. My 1997.5 Jetta Vr6 has 111,982 miles on it and like I said before it runs great.

Fun to Drive
By ape on 09/14/06 16:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after test driving other similar sedans because I liked the driveability and it wanted a manual. I still like the driveability but will not buy another VW for a long time. I've replaced the distributor cap and coils more than once, replaced the battery a couple times, replaced the ignition switch, and had it stop and need towing at least twice for issues such as the distributor cap. For a long time I've explained the problems by looking at the car's age and high mileage but after reading other reviews see other owners have had similar experiences. The trim has fallen off both sides of my car and currently all of the gauges randomly drop to zero while I'm driving!

Very Delicate
By Steve on 08/29/06 05:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Our Jetta had many mechanical problems after the 100,000 mile mark. The first was a major auto trans rebuild. Then, the starter, drive axles, power steering hose, all four power window operators (at various times), cruise control and more. Volkswagen's parts are expensive. It is a nice driving car when running, but it is very delicate.

Relibable Little Car
By reignevryd on 08/22/06 17:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have to say that my first experience back with a Jetta wasn't a good one. It was a piece of junk. It was a 1995 GL, however it could have been a good car at one time. Now, I have the '97 GLS, bought used, and it has been a very reliable car. It feels good knowing that every morning when I go to work, it will fire right up. My car has had a few minor issues with the electrical system, such as the door locks and sunroof, but otherwise it is a great ride. I like the dash setup, and as a parent, this is crucial in order to control the locks, windows, and lighting with one hand.

'97 Jetta Jazz
By EB on 05/31/06 18:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Jazz 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved this car when I got it new. I drove it with 115,000 miles with no problems. Then the 1st transmission died (manual). At 146,000 miles the second one died and I am ready to retire it. I still love the car but its not so much fun without the 2, 3 and 5th gears!

Superb
By ultrasam on 02/09/06 09:52 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Volkswagen Jetta is an amazing car. It has been superbly reliable and really fun to drive. The VR6 motor is amazing. I've spent maybe $400 in unexpected maintenance since I bought car new. VWs last forever.

I Love the Jetta III
By chriscois on 11/29/05 17:02 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Our 1997 Volkswagen Jetta has been great for us. It is very fun to drive as it's the 5-speed. We replaced the front brakes and timing belt at around 90,000 miles and recently had a power window regulator go out that I couldn't fix myself. It is kind of hard to get to all the plugs during a home tune-up, but this is still a good basic engine that's relatively easy to do general maintenance on. This car may have been built in Mexico (or maybe not), but you can feel the good quality German engineering that's gone into it. It's my favourite car of the ten cars that I've owned in my lifetime!