Used 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Ok truck
By R Barker

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra FFV 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Over all a good truck. Only problem I have had with it is a alcohol sensor in the fuel system. If truck sets in real cold weather for a few days thes sensor thinks it's running flex fuel ( so the tech told me). Then it's hard to start but runs fine after it does start. When this happens it's a trip to dealership, hooked up to computer and sensor reset. Warranty does not cover it.

Nice But Bouncy
By Chuck

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love it, but it has some challenges. I bought used but got a great price and great deal. No complaints. Interior is super comfortable and bigger than expected. I'm 5'8" so getting up into it was a challenge until I added Westin side steps. Power is incredible. Set up nicely to tow, but is limited to about 6700 lbs. I use it to haul my motorcycle and enclosed trailer, does fine at their combined weight, Like the hook up for brake lights to the trailer with options on types of plugs. I just notice on the road it sucks gas and seems to bounce along when not towing--maybe it needs a significant payload to smooth it out on the road. Mine has a rail system and bed carpet type thing, but I added a three piece tonneau of hard shell plastic like stuff, and covers it nicely. May also add an OEM bedliner....Anyway, this sucker has new aggressive tires on the 18 inch wheels, and I'm looking forward to winter this year....UPDATE--March, 2016-- Did great in the snow! 33 inches in snowfall and this beast just rolled on out and through in 4x4. Payload in the back leveled it out and helped with traction. I added a backup camera and proximity sensors on the back, so even better now backing and parking. Nice truck.

Better Than Average
By jmlabs

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Prior to purchasing 2012 Tundra 5.7L LB, I did extensive research on Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. I felt like the U.S. mfg trucks used excessively thin sheet metal and were about $10K - $15K overpriced and in my opinion that was due to unions. I found thin sheet metal in the Tundra too, but I wasn't paying a union add-on for the Toyota. What sold me on the Tundra is the large pinion gear, quality wrapped wire bundles in the engine bay, the quality interior, and transmission cooler. I've owned the truck for 2 years 7 months now and have had no problems at all. The body style is attractive - I prefer it over the new 2015 body style. I'd repurchase a Tundra mfg prior to the new body style.

The 0w-20 petroleum based oil is a pain to locate - thus you have to purchase high cost synthetic. This may not be a downer for some. The stock tires were terrible quality and had to be replaced within 10K miles. The bed sheet metal is thin and if you accidentally step on the wheel wells you will dent them in with just your weight (160LBS). I noticed that the black paint on the frame and other underneath components is starting to rust through. I have an older 2000 Honda Accord and it shows no rust. In my opinion, the paint should have lasted longer. I'm currently looking for an auto body shop to do undercarriage coating.

Great Truck
By voiceover

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is my third Toyota truck and is by far the best.
I looked (briefly) at others when it was time to trade and I easily came home to Toyota.
This truck has it all - capacity, comfort, durability and great looks.
The 5.7L V-8 offers plenty of power for even the most demanding of tasks.
Plenty of room in the front, back and the bed.
Leather interior is top-notch.
Navigation w/ JBL sound system is superior to others I have owned including Bose.
We often take the truck to our vacation home and find the ride pleasant and relaxing.
Lots of storage space to keep things organized.

If you are looking for a full-sized pickup truck, give the Tundra a close look.
You won't be disappointed.

Leather interior, plentiful room everywhere, powerful engine, smooth ride, easy access to everything, aggressive styling.

Mileage needs significant improvement, bed liner is old school - needs composite, 110v. outlet in the bed as the Tacoma, navigation screen could be closer to the driver

So Far So Good
By thebigv21

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Truck now has 11K miles.
Had first synthetic oil change at 10K.
Averaging 15.2 mpg in combined driving.
Truck runs great and has similar MPG as tacomas I have owned in the past.
The horsepower and torque on this truck is something else.
I see negative reviews on here and I can't understand why.
The performance is what impresses me the most.
I am 6'4" and have plenty of room.
Kids can sit in the back without any problem whatsoever.
This is a real truck, not meant for anyone who wants a car..

Horsepower, torque. Haven't had any problems within first 11 K miles.

Put better factory tires on it. At last check I had 50% tires remaining. All manufacturers put cheap soft tires on new vehicles. Get 15K out of them people say that is good. I think it is ridiculous considering how much dough we shell out. I put average under value because when you drive it off the lot you really get pounded. 39 sticker and auction price is only 27 now.