Used 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Better Than Average
By jmlabs

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Prior to purchasing 2012 Tundra 5.7L LB, I did extensive research on Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. I felt like the U.S. mfg trucks used excessively thin sheet metal and were about $10K - $15K overpriced and in my opinion that was due to unions. I found thin sheet metal in the Tundra too, but I wasn't paying a union add-on for the Toyota. What sold me on the Tundra is the large pinion gear, quality wrapped wire bundles in the engine bay, the quality interior, and transmission cooler. I've owned the truck for 2 years 7 months now and have had no problems at all. The body style is attractive - I prefer it over the new 2015 body style. I'd repurchase a Tundra mfg prior to the new body style.

Suggested Improvements

The 0w-20 petroleum based oil is a pain to locate - thus you have to purchase high cost synthetic. This may not be a downer for some. The stock tires were terrible quality and had to be replaced within 10K miles. The bed sheet metal is thin and if you accidentally step on the wheel wells you will dent them in with just your weight (160LBS). I noticed that the black paint on the frame and other underneath components is starting to rust through. I have an older 2000 Honda Accord and it shows no rust. In my opinion, the paint should have lasted longer. I'm currently looking for an auto body shop to do undercarriage coating.

Great Truck
By voiceover

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is my third Toyota truck and is by far the best. I looked (briefly) at others when it was time to trade and I easily came home to Toyota. This truck has it all - capacity, comfort, durability and great looks. The 5.7L V-8 offers plenty of power for even the most demanding of tasks. Plenty of room in the front, back and the bed. Leather interior is top-notch. Navigation w/ JBL sound system is superior to others I have owned including Bose. We often take the truck to our vacation home and find the ride pleasant and relaxing. Lots of storage space to keep things organized. If you are looking for a full-sized pickup truck, give the Tundra a close look. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, plentiful room everywhere, powerful engine, smooth ride, easy access to everything, aggressive styling.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage needs significant improvement, bed liner is old school - needs composite, 110v. outlet in the bed as the Tacoma, navigation screen could be closer to the driver

So Far So Good
By thebigv21

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Truck now has 11K miles. Had first synthetic oil change at 10K. Averaging 15.2 mpg in combined driving. Truck runs great and has similar MPG as tacomas I have owned in the past. The horsepower and torque on this truck is something else. I see negative reviews on here and I can't understand why. The performance is what impresses me the most. I am 6'4" and have plenty of room. Kids can sit in the back without any problem whatsoever. This is a real truck, not meant for anyone who wants a car..

Favorite Features

Horsepower, torque. Haven't had any problems within first 11 K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Put better factory tires on it. At last check I had 50% tires remaining. All manufacturers put cheap soft tires on new vehicles. Get 15K out of them people say that is good. I think it is ridiculous considering how much dough we shell out. I put average under value because when you drive it off the lot you really get pounded. 39 sticker and auction price is only 27 now.

Nice but has faults
By mrvenison

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Overall I have a nice truck and the 4.6 L engine performs quite well. It is a little more thirsty than expected. Mixed suburban and country driving fall a little less than 14 mpg with no off road. That's short of the 14 city rated. The factory bed liner has large openings around the tie downs for lots of material to fall through to the bed. Also the Bluetooth was a real pain to load the phone book in the truck. It doesn't access the phone book in the phone.

Favorite Features

Nice and very comfortable interior. Excellent handling and turning radius. Good performance from the small V-8 and a great view from the backup camera.

Suggested Improvements

Improve ease of setup for Bluetooth. Access directly to phone's caller list. Replace optional bed liner with either a composite liner like the Tacoma or spray on liner. Don't over rate the fuel economy.

Overhyped toyota garbage
By ghunchman

2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I actually went or should I say was suckered into a new tunra. 2012 what a mistake. If you here people talking about reliability and resale I suggest you RUN and never turn back. I don't sell cars so resale should never be an issue. The toyota is like a pregnant 2002 dodge ram. It's ugly and the more you look at it the uglier it gets. The finish inside is poor crap and I couldn't believe that this what was suppose to be superior build quality. The seats were uncomfortable. the guages are small and a pukey orange colour and they are sey in too far. The tonks truck control knobs for the air are a total joke.I could go on but a person with normal vision will see what I'm talking about.

Favorite Features

The best feature of this truck? Can' find one sorry. Stay away from the Tundra you will be glad you did .

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is really bad. Don't get fooled by false claims. 7 to 9 mpg city at best and 14 on the highway with the 5.7. The frame on this thing twists way too much (that might be cause of the use of rivets instead of weld). The toyota liarists will be blind to this crappy truck .