Used 1996 Toyota Tercel Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Best Car Ever!
By KamJess

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Tercel w/53,000 miles about 9 years ago and I just had my most expensive repair (coil at $250) at 143,000! I got a newer/used Corolla and I hope it lives up to my Tercel. Reliable is an understatement. I'm having separation anxiety from having to sell it, but can't afford to maintain 2 cars. If you take care of your Tercel, it will take care of you. I'll miss "Big Red" but I think my "Silver Bullet" will rise to the challenge. I don't care what they say-TOYOTA, I'm with you for life!

Favorite Features

Paint job, bright red and always shiny, even when dirty. Wish the newer cars had this quality.

Suggested Improvements

Why bother, you don't make them anymore. Just ensure you continue to make quality cars.

Good first car
By kristina

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is perfect for a first car which is exactly what it is to me. It gets 27 miles to the gallon and is small, perfect for easily maneuvering and fitting into tight spots.

Favorite Features

fuel economy - 27 mpg

Suggested Improvements

power locks and windows

Point A to Point B
By Jeff

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with 229K miles on it and it currently has 240K. It's great on gas, is economical, and needs very little maintenance. Honestly the best car for those that have long commutes or need to take it into urban areas with tight parking spots. The trunk space is also very usable considering how small this car is. The manual transmission is average at best, but for the price and what this car was geared for, it's really a good car.

Favorite Features

Miles-per-gallon. Easy access of maintenance items (oil filter, air filter, etc.). Trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

For the money, it's perfect.

Best Toyota!
By D.K.

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used with 119K miles. It just keeps on going like the energizer Bunny. Change the oil every 4K and keep going. Had to replace clutch at 150K. Current miles 189k. A/C blows ice cold in Tx. This car was so great, they don't make it anymore. Mpg too good for the times! 38mpg avg for me.

Best Car Ever!
By blaiseglaze

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car when it was 2 yrs old. Don't remember the miles on it. Drove it from KY - TN several times, then from Nashville - SLC. We called her "Tinkerbelle" (called her Tink) because she made that sound. Car was comfortable, fun to drive, excellent on gas... Never once had a problem with that car. So when I sold my Hyundai, I went looking for this yr/make/model again and found a 1995 in very decent condition... Left the car at 219,000 PLUS miles.

Favorite Features

Feel of drive, ease of shift, gas economy.

Suggested Improvements

BRING BACK THE 4 SPEED!!