1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Best Car Ever!
By KamJess on 05/11/10 20:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Tercel w/53,000 miles about 9 years ago and I just had my most expensive repair (coil at $250) at 143,000! I got a newer/used Corolla and I hope it lives up to my Tercel. Reliable is an understatement. I'm having separation anxiety from having to sell it, but can't afford to maintain 2 cars. If you take care of your Tercel, it will take care of you. I'll miss "Big Red" but I think my "Silver Bullet" will rise to the challenge. I don't care what they say-TOYOTA, I'm with you for life!

Good first car
By kristina on 04/19/10 21:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is perfect for a first car which is exactly what it is to me. It gets 27 miles to the gallon and is small, perfect for easily maneuvering and fitting into tight spots.

Point A to Point B
By Jeff on 08/12/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with 229K miles on it and it currently has 240K. It's great on gas, is economical, and needs very little maintenance. Honestly the best car for those that have long commutes or need to take it into urban areas with tight parking spots. The trunk space is also very usable considering how small this car is. The manual transmission is average at best, but for the price and what this car was geared for, it's really a good car.

Best Toyota!
By D.K. on 06/11/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used with 119K miles. It just keeps on going like the energizer Bunny. Change the oil every 4K and keep going. Had to replace clutch at 150K. Current miles 189k. A/C blows ice cold in Tx. This car was so great, they don't make it anymore. Mpg too good for the times! 38mpg avg for me.

Best Car Ever!
By blaiseglaze on 05/20/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car when it was 2 yrs old. Don't remember the miles on it. Drove it from KY - TN several times, then from Nashville - SLC. We called her "Tinkerbelle" (called her Tink) because she made that sound. Car was comfortable, fun to drive, excellent on gas... Never once had a problem with that car. So when I sold my Hyundai, I went looking for this yr/make/model again and found a 1995 in very decent condition... Left the car at 219,000 PLUS miles.

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr
By Simon on 02/23/09 15:03 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've had the car for 6 years - bought it in 2002 with 72k on it. It now has 113k. It has had no problems, except for a minor oil leak last year. It is a great car for driving around town, although I have also done a 1000 mile road trip in it.

Toyota
By johnnyb on 01/20/09 15:27 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Only had this rig for about 8 months. Bought it w/170,000 now has 184,000. Runs great, starts on the coldest days. 0-60 in 11.8 while my girlfriends 05 Cavalier only ran 11.5. Very reliable rig. Plan to run her til she dies

Little car with lots of heart
By debersue on 04/07/08 20:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new and never expected to keep it this long. It's peppy and very low maintenance so I'm keeping it until it dies. So far I have 150,000 miles with no sign of stopping. I love this car!

Ode to My Tercel
By billjriv on 04/04/08 23:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

You go down in history as one of the best cars ever invented. I love my Tercel and she has been through everything with me through thick and thin. Keeps going and going. I wish they'd bring back the Tercel like the old wagons with 4wd. You could camp in them, haul stuff around they were the perfect car, even for a family. This 96 model is great, it is a great cheap car with the gas mileage similar to a Prius for $20000 less.

Love this car
By Big_Mikey on 03/06/08 23:31 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Purchased car new (11/95) and has been a great car. During years 2001-2006 car was driven often from LA to Las Vegas in excessive heat. Replaced engine at 171K with used engine (84K) and car continues to run like new. Avoided fancy options other than A/C and auto transmission. Performed regular and proper service on car and interior/exterior is in great shape for 12 year old car. I plan to keep this car for several more years and often people make offers for the car. 26 MPG city as much as 33 MPG hwy. Always use just 87 octane and regular 10W30 motor oil every 4000. Now that I am living in Las Vegas, I keep an eye on coolant and transmission oil more closely. I will never sell!