Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Love it!!!!
By fatvette

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This has been an awesome truck for what I use it for. I bought it new in 2008 and it currently has 31000 mile on it. Although the miles are relativity low I have not had any failures of any type. The truck has been flawless. The truck is very comfortable considering the bench seat but I did add an aftermarket center console/armrest. Having a place to rest your arm made a big improvement over holding it in your lap or resting on the seat. Engine power in more then adequate. Brakes are a little spongy and road noise on this base model is noticeable.

Favorite Features

This is the base model so features are somewhat limited. I added as options an automatic transmission and air conditioning.

Suggested Improvements

Intermittent windshield wipers and a standard center console/armrest.

Love it
By jeff

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Love the truck for the price. Got the base model with automatic. No complaints. Would have been nice if Toyota would have added wiper delay as part of the BASIC package like almost everyone else. That part is annoying. Have bench seats. Would have liked bucket but like I said I got the base model. It was priced lower than any other truck in its size. And hey it's a Toyota. It will run forever. Nuff said

Favorite Features

new body design was a major plus

Suggested Improvements

Put more in basic package like tilt and delay wipers.

Mileage report
By Lowsidr

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15K on it. I traded in an 89 4runner w/200K 13 mpg. The primary reason for buying a small truck was the fuel economy. Fuel prices seem to be on the rise once again, who knows what will happen in the years to come. I live in S.W. FL. and commute 20 miles each way a day. Mostly at 45 to 60 mph, mixed city driving mostly. My first tank returned 25.8 MPG! I "babied" the truck trying to keep the RPM under 2K. I did spin it up when needed. You can get great fuel economy out of this truck and still be courteous to others.

Favorite Features

The simplicity. An automatic to appease my wife, A/C because I live in S.W. FL. and a bedliner. It's all I wanted, I'll run this into the ground. The less electronic stuff to go wrong later the better. I need to add that I am 6"4 at 265lbs and I fit beautifully.... comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Price... way high for what you get. Lets hope it lives up to it's perceived reliability.

Update
By Western Plainsman

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 14,000 miles, the mileage @ 70 MPH is now up to 24 MPG. That's satisfactory for a 4x4. Pickup is smooth and the bench seat okay on long trips. Don't care for the Dunlap tires; they're smooth, but sure don't have the quality of Michelins. I added a factory cruise control and 2 factory 'D' ring tie-downs to the front of the bed. This little rascal ought to come stock (or at least available) with intermittent wipers & cruise. It rides & handles just fine. For a basic 4x4 under 20 Grand pickup, I don't see how you can beat it. Tight, no rattles, easy to do maintenance, pretty dog-gone good ride. I'm a bear to satisfy...and I'd buy this one again in a second!

Favorite Features

Ride & handling both very good; bench seat is okay, gas mileage okay; build quality great; good both as highway and off-road rig and maintenance is a snap!

Suggested Improvements

Need options list expanded to include intermittent wipers, automatic transmission & cruise control. The quality of the OE tires does not match the overall quality of the pickup.

Excellent Little Truck!
By Tommy

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this "mini-taco" 03-22-2008 as a way to downsize and conserve. Couldn't be happier with this truck. It is the 4x4 regular cab, the smallest tacoma. What a great design, big on features. Driving mildly, now averaging 23-24 mpg overall. Thats not great but consider its a 4x4. It handles the road much better than the older generation. The steering radius is another pleasant surprise. The performance is better than expected. The 4cyl engine will really move if you want it to. I did get the SR5 package which gives the reg cab truck bucket seats. Very comfortable and supportive. Many cup holders, using the 2 on the rear of the center console for reserve water bottles.

Favorite Features

Excellent overall styling. The utility features of the bed alone are worth a look. Mini-truck performs quite well, better than expected. 4cyl engine is great, darn near as strong as my older v6. Surprised these regular cabs are not more popular. I smile every time I look at my new truck!

Suggested Improvements

When new, 2 of the 5 tire pressure sensors were faulty. Dealer replaced at no cost, but required truck for 1 day. 5 spd transmission feels a little clunky. Passenger seat pressure sensor too sensitive, set off by a weekend to-go bag. Toyota refused to send mini 4x4 to southern California!!