2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Love it!!!!
By fatvette on 04/07/12 09:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This has been an awesome truck for what I use it for. I bought it new in 2008 and it currently has 31000 mile on it. Although the miles are relativity low I have not had any failures of any type. The truck has been flawless. The truck is very comfortable considering the bench seat but I did add an aftermarket center console/armrest. Having a place to rest your arm made a big improvement over holding it in your lap or resting on the seat. Engine power in more then adequate. Brakes are a little spongy and road noise on this base model is noticeable.

Love it
By jeff on 11/22/09 13:45 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Love the truck for the price. Got the base model with automatic. No complaints. Would have been nice if Toyota would have added wiper delay as part of the BASIC package like almost everyone else. That part is annoying. Have bench seats. Would have liked bucket but like I said I got the base model. It was priced lower than any other truck in its size. And hey it's a Toyota. It will run forever. Nuff said

Mileage report
By Lowsidr on 01/14/09 11:59 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15K on it. I traded in an 89 4runner w/200K 13 mpg. The primary reason for buying a small truck was the fuel economy. Fuel prices seem to be on the rise once again, who knows what will happen in the years to come. I live in S.W. FL. and commute 20 miles each way a day. Mostly at 45 to 60 mph, mixed city driving mostly. My first tank returned 25.8 MPG! I "babied" the truck trying to keep the RPM under 2K. I did spin it up when needed. You can get great fuel economy out of this truck and still be courteous to others.

Update
By Western Plainsman on 09/23/08 09:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 14,000 miles, the mileage @ 70 MPH is now up to 24 MPG. That's satisfactory for a 4x4. Pickup is smooth and the bench seat okay on long trips. Don't care for the Dunlap tires; they're smooth, but sure don't have the quality of Michelins. I added a factory cruise control and 2 factory 'D' ring tie-downs to the front of the bed. This little rascal ought to come stock (or at least available) with intermittent wipers & cruise. It rides & handles just fine. For a basic 4x4 under 20 Grand pickup, I don't see how you can beat it. Tight, no rattles, easy to do maintenance, pretty dog-gone good ride. I'm a bear to satisfy...and I'd buy this one again in a second!

Excellent Little Truck!
By Tommy on 06/12/08 16:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this "mini-taco" 03-22-2008 as a way to downsize and conserve. Couldn't be happier with this truck. It is the 4x4 regular cab, the smallest tacoma. What a great design, big on features. Driving mildly, now averaging 23-24 mpg overall. Thats not great but consider its a 4x4. It handles the road much better than the older generation. The steering radius is another pleasant surprise. The performance is better than expected. The 4cyl engine will really move if you want it to. I did get the SR5 package which gives the reg cab truck bucket seats. Very comfortable and supportive. Many cup holders, using the 2 on the rear of the center console for reserve water bottles.

2000 miles later
By Tacoma on 04/11/08 12:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Tacoma, but I've been in love with this truck for years. It handles fine for me; it's just a truck, not a sports car. Off-road the truck handles well and performs better, but the stock tires need to go if you plan on doing some serious off-roading. Otherwise, I've been averaging over 20 mpg doing mostly highway driving through the Cumberland mountains (a 4spd automatic might have been a better choice since the 4cylinder needs to be in 4th gear to climb hills on the interstate). The base model comes with no frills, but I can handle crank windows and push mirrors--it's a truck plane and simple.

Base 4x4 VG but needs basic amenities
By TBloch on 01/25/08 20:53 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Tacoma. The truck is nice and tight, no rattles or squeaks. Much bigger than my '96, which I don't like, but it rides and handles well. The bench seat is more comfortable than the one in my '96. The 2.7 engine is peppy. Wish I had opted for an automatic, but those are probably hard to find in a reg cab 4x4.

It's a Toyota
By dino on 12/31/07 15:45 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab PreRunner 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 5th toyota purchase and my first truck. I purchased the prerunner access cab 4cyl 5sp with the convenience package. It cost me $19,300 with 3 years of zero financing. Even though I liked the older body style this was a no brainer purchase. I wanted a truck that looked good and got decent gas mileage(20 to 25). It's like the old tacoma on steriods. It should last me quite awhile.

Basic 4WD Toyota compact pickup
By Western Plainsman on 12/14/07 11:50 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The pickup rides surprisingly well; seat is okay; sufficient legroom; good passing power in 4th gear; 22 MPG at 70 MPH so far...1,500 miles. Bought the cheapest 4WD pickup Toyota makes; only option is Air. I've added floor mats & a factory cruise. My wife inherited the Tundra 4WD. She didn't want the Tacoma because it has none of the goodies. Hey, but it's paid for!

4th Toyota truck!
By Hobopoet on 12/11/07 01:08 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a truck that would tow my trailer, get me into the back country, get good mileage, be reliable and dependable: what else but another Toyota! This is my 4th, and I've never had a complaint or serious problem. Toyota is offering incentives now and that swung the deal for me. But I would have purchased one without that.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.