Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

paint!
By Mike

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Use the truck only for recreation; road trips to races, tailgating, a few cross-country road trips. I'm 6'5" and have plenty of legroom. Firm but comfortable ride, hiway mileage is acceptable. Have an automatic tranny and quickly learned to keep the truck in 4th in hill county. 5 speeds are nice for flatland mileage but it constantly shifts between 4th and 5th in hilly country. Only major complaint is that the paint is junk. "Impulse red" looks great but it chips if you look at it wrong. I've seen this complaint from other reviewers so I'm far from alone. Never, ever had a vehicle that chipped so easily. If it weren't for this I'd rate the truck as far and away the best in class.

Favorite Features

Mechanical build quality, interior room, performance, ride, appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to improve the quality of the paint big time. I love the truck but spend a lot of time with touch-up paint. I don't drive the truck off-road nor use it for commercial purposes. No excuse for the paint chipping so easily.

Solid ride
By HeywoodJablome

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I can't believe people still consider the Tacoma a "small" truck. This thing grew massively on its last re-design. It is not the same Toyota truck I learned to drive on in 1986. I am a heavyweight myself, and find the truck very accommodating. The interior looks good, great exterior styling, and the bed with all of its features is the best design out there. The economy of the engine is great too.

Favorite Features

Bed with integrated rail and tie down system. Economy of the 4-banger. Plenty of room for storage in the Access Cab.

Suggested Improvements

This is a heavy truck, so the performance of the 4 cyl is lacking. Roll up windows... come on Toyota, it is 2006. Power windows, locks, and keyless entry should be standard on every vehicle you make.

She's a keeper! 4 cyl, pre-run, access
By Big John

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My first Truck. Researched for 6 months. This truck has been really fun. I don't need 4WD or a V6. I wanted a truck to haul things with but also to get good highway mpg so I went with the 4cyl. The power has been fine since the engine is 2.7L, but only 20mpg. Sticker said I'd get 27hwy. I really wanted the Desert Sand but most dealers only had silver. Then I found a store which ordered up the Gold for me, and the build date was 2 days after I ordered! I'm 6'3", 250 and have a ton of room. My anti-truck friends admit they are impressed

Favorite Features

Height of the pre-runner. Dash layout. Number and different sizes of cupholders. "Access" area holds alot. Ultra smooth ride. Desert Sand color. solid factory radio and CD. Size of glovebox. Internal lights. Solid "feel" to the vehicle when driving...nothing rattles. Style. Window tint.

Suggested Improvements

Light for bed of truck. Seatbelt latch too tight a fit next to console... keep banging the console. Better mileage - only getting 20 vs sticker claim of 27. C'mon Toyota! Passenger side needs a step. Rides so smooth sometimes run it too high rpm in a low gear... maybe a warning light to avoid.

Tacoma ROCKS
By gtiger

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Got my tacoma a day before christmas, a prerunner 4cyl, access cab, silver with SR5 and alloy wheels. Absolutely love it, lots of room, drives smooth, has all the bells and whistles I always wanted in a pick-up. Overall quality of the interior is far superior than the other competitors.

Favorite Features

Access cab 4 doors and extra room at the back. super smooth drive. I have a 5 spd stick shift and makes me feel in complete control.

Suggested Improvements

Haven't found anything yet.