Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I cant see myself not Owning one from now on
By sevamg

2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Its the most flexible, useful and maintenance free vehicle I ever owned, I bought it with about 55k miles in 2008, it now has over 125k and purrs. Replaced timing belt at 100k, The way its running i think I could get another 100K. It was well worth the money.

Favorite Features

Double Cab, High ground clearance, V6 engine has plenty of Power with decent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Stupidest most annoying Clock location I ever seen in a vehicle. I hope it was fixed on later models.

What do I fix
By toyotajeff

2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck when I was looking for a 4x4 and ended up being happy even though it is a 2wd. Other than general maintenance I have yet to repair anything ( in fact most mechanics I've talked to have yet to make repairs on this model). I love my taco and I never had any problems with the interior but I think they had an access of clocks cause they used the same one in my 87 4runner.

Favorite Features

overall appearance is great. Never causes any problems and holds value

Suggested Improvements

more storage and that dam clock should have been upgraded and moved

Great Truck just getting broken in
By jeff s

2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a well built and good looking truck. I am a bit of a neat freak but i do still get comments 7 years later on how good this truck looks. The paint, body and style has held up really well. 2 minor recalls, it has never failed. I have the TRD off road, its a bit bumpy but that's what you pay for!

Bring the 2.4 ltr Hilux to the USA
By RAV1973

2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Toyota Tacoma, first new car to ACT like a new car. It handles really well but certain things are frustrating nuisances: The seats (Camry seats in a truck) sit very uncomfortable- already replaced fabric twice (that's NOT normal wear/tear) the foam breaks down inside. The head lights (replaced 10 times each) since 2003 10X a bit extreme isn't it! The paint (clear coat) chipping off in random places: I had an after market sunroof put in. While some paint chipping is near the sunroof, other areas are not which exclude the paint chipping blame game. I would seriously consider Toyota product: 2.4 liter turbo diesel HILUX if sold in the USA without adjusting down the MPG iow: EPA/USA.

Favorite Features

http://townhall- talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1b29d9

Suggested Improvements

Seats to UPDATE the comfort in existing models (not change car, change seats)

Great Truck
By dennis

2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for over two years. I bought it for myself, but it has now become my daughter's primary vehicle. I feel good knowing that she is in a safe vehicle that is unlikely to cause problems for her. Whenever I take it in for routine service the techs comment on how good of shape it is in mechanically.

Favorite Features

The locking rear differential has been handy. The ride height is good for traffic views. The short bed box is handy for the types of things I need to haul on occasion while keeping the overall length convenient for around town driving. Good power.

Suggested Improvements

None.