2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Still Going Strong
By Barnone on 04/26/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new, 91,000 miles now, just put new front drakes pads, that's it for repairs. The tires lasted 60,000 miles. About 20 MPG highway or city. Not great but OK. Runs and drives very good.

GAS HOG and high insurance rating
By willysworker on 06/10/08 10:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Tacoma PreRunner new with 2.7 L motor and automatic transmission. It has 97,000 miles and has been a gas hog. Never gotten over 22 MPG. Loaded and doing 65 MPH on interstate it averages near 18 MPG. It also has a higher than normal insurance rating even with my excellent driving record.

Still Going Strong!
By JimBo on 03/16/08 04:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this used to see if I could live with a compact truck. Mine has 2.7 4 cyl with 5 speed. The catch is it has 220k miles on it!! I have to say it runs like new I swear!! I talked to the guy that owned it from new and he had no problems ever. Leaks nothing and burns no oil. Shifts great. I have oversize rims and tires and still has decent pickup. When this wears out I'll buy another with less miles for sure. Oh no rust on the body or frame either, I'm in the rust belt in the Northeast. Goes great in snow.

2002 Tacoma
By Ron Huffman on 07/31/07 11:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Tacoma is a regular cab short wheelbase 2WD with 2.4 L and automatic. It is fun to drive and very manuverable. It can haul the load when asked and gets fairly respectable gas mileage (20-24 mpg). I made several cross country trips with a loaded bed and it has performed just great.

At 95K it's still truckin'
By Distance Driver on 08/02/05 03:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Approaching 95,000 miles and my 2.7L 4 cyl is still zooming along. No let up in the power though I pause for thought when the truck seems to "lurch" at stop lights. It gets warmed up and everything seems to gell for the rest of my drive. Light weight so it can be too bouncey even in the highway and a challenge to control in wind driven rain. Pleased with the quality and had no really expensive or repeated problems. Pretty much the next 50K miles is make or break for me buying another Toyota since I've had less expensive Fords make it to this point just fine. I expect to be driving my '02 at 150K so here's hoping I see many more miles and that the next one is a Texas-made Tundra.

nice truck
By Helo pilot on 07/17/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

No issues after 3 harddriving years! Love the design of the truck. Chrome bumpers. The overall reputation for quality is holding up. Seats alittle uncomfortable on long hauls. Extra features costly. Clock placement is a joke. Very happy with truck.

Fun to drive
By Rizzo on 01/23/05 23:36 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy driving this truck. I highly recomend the Tacoma truck. It drives great and is affordable. My new quad fits perfectly in the back. Good quality.

toyo
By geizz on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have a lot of fun going off road. It performs really good. On the road the ride is good but not the best it bounce a little too much. You can't fit an adult in the back (I have an extended cab). The passenger air bag is rattling like a snake and the clock is in the worst position that they could placed it, you can't see it because the steering wheel cover it. I think that the gas pedal and the brake pedal are too close, I sometimes when breaking accelerate at the same time when I am wearing my work boots. The power is there I have no complaints when I haul the trailer or when I have the bed full of stuff.

Inexpensive Workhorse
By euroeric on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck has done everything I've asked of it- from towing over 4000 lbs to hauling engines to commuting to the hospital and back. An awesome truck all around, my next truck will be another Toyota (in about 15 years- at this rate this thing will last forever). It handled poorly on the stock tires in rain, but since I swapped them recently, it has improved greatly.

Tacoma - Good Solid Truck
By Hundarion on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle to do general type hauling on the weekends for gardening & home improvement work. This vehicle is well suited for these tasks. I appreciate the fine lines on the body of this truck, especially the front end. I test drove several other compact trucks and felt the tacoma gave the best ride. The truck handles well with adequate power for a 4 cylinder. I do experience the whistle in my A/C that some other reviewers have complained about but no other complaints. This is the 3rd Toyota vehicle I have owned and I hope my Tacoma provides the same reliability and problem free performance as my previous two vehicles.