1999 ToyTacomaReview by PJM
By taco1999 on
1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab SB
I bought my Tacoma used nine years ago, and I have done all of the required maintenance. The only thing that has ever required replacing due to failure was the mass air flow sensor. It went out about a year after I bought the Tacoma. The engine still worked with the blown mass air flow sensor; it just would not accelerate smoothly. These 3.4 Liter V6 engines are great motors as far as power and reliability, but they do not get good gas mileage. Mine gets anywhere between 17-19 miles per gallon depending on where and how I am driving it. Anybody who says they are getting above 20 miles per gallon is driving down hill with their ignition off or dropping it out of an airplane.
Favorite Features
The drivetrain is by far one of my favorite features on my Tacoma. I love the V6, and the 5-Speed manual transmission. They make this Tacoma a lot of fun rig to drive. My Tacoma definitely likes to be driven with a little bit of authority, though. When accelerating, it likes to rev up to about 3500 revolutions before it is shifted into the next gear. The Tacoma's V6 engine has plenty of power. Although, when it is towing a trailer, I can certainly feel it. It does not feel no where near as lively, spirited or sporty when it has to pull a trailer. Mine is a part-time four wheel drive, which I have not tested extensively because I can not afford to fix it if I break it.
Suggested Improvements
Toyota did not put very comfortable seats in these Tacomas. Mine has the bench seat, which is very hard on my back and the passenger's back on long trips. Fortunately, it is an extra-cab so the front bench seat can moved very far back. My dad has a 4Runner of the same year with buckets in it. His buckets definitely seem more comfortable than the bench seat, but I have not been in his 4Runner on a long trip so I can not give an accurate answer on how comfortable they are over the long haul. Toyota could also have given these trucks some more gauges especially for those of us that have to use our Tacomas as trucks, and do things like tow boats, and use them to haul loads.