1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
1999 ToyTacomaReview by PJM
By taco1999 on 02/06/14 13:45 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma used nine years ago, and I have done all of the required maintenance. The only thing that has ever required replacing due to failure was the mass air flow sensor. It went out about a year after I bought the Tacoma. The engine still worked with the blown mass air flow sensor; it just would not accelerate smoothly. These 3.4 Liter V6 engines are great motors as far as power and reliability, but they do not get good gas mileage. Mine gets anywhere between 17-19 miles per gallon depending on where and how I am driving it. Anybody who says they are getting above 20 miles per gallon is driving down hill with their ignition off or dropping it out of an airplane.

A Great truck to own, wish I could buy another.
By wolfnium on 08/27/13 11:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1999. I ran 2 crank cases of 10w-30 Castrol regular motor oil. After that, I have used 10w-30 Castrol synthetic motor oil ever since. I change oil about every 5000 miles. I have had to replace the electronics to repair a left turn signal issue that cost about $500.00. I have had to replace the power steering pump, twice as the first one was a rebuild and under warranty. I have had to replace the battery once and also the catalytic convert (about $1000.00). I still have the original clutch and have replaced the front brakes and rotors one time. My truck now has 456,5000+ miles on it. I would drive it to across the US with no worries. It has been a great truck.

Great truck
By jacobbert9 on 02/19/13 20:13 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ive had my Tacoma for the last 2 years (30,000 miles). It currently has just over 182,000. It's hauled everything I've thrown in it including rocks, firewood, and cement bags. Loaded down to the bump stops and I couldnt even tell from the performance. I've towed several thousand pound trailers without problem. I put a few hundred pounds in it for snow storms and it does almost as well as any 4x4 especially with tire chains on. The 2.7 is a bit wimpy but it gets the job done. The only things I've replaced have been the radiator, catalytic converter (orginial one was stolen) and the brakes. I got rear-ended by a guy doing 25 and the bumper just got bent. Recommend to everyone, awesome truck!

Great Little Truck
By Deadgirl1 on 08/19/10 21:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck in 2002 used w/ 36,000 miles. It's been a very reliable truck. I have but over 120,000 miles on it and I've only had to replace the brakes, an O2 sensor, and the battery. Everything else has held up and it still runs great. I used to commute over 600 miles on weekends and the truck never gave me any problems. Great gas mileage for a pickup and does well in winter weather despite having no weight in the back. I would buy this truck again in an instant!

'99 PreRunner Taco
By Jesse A on 03/08/10 11:48 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this Tacoma thinking I would only use it a few years but this baby with the 2.7L motor is rock solid! I did add Bilsteins/headers/Cat-Back exhaust and this baby purrs. The biggest plus on this vehicle is that it's reliable and keeps on going. My only wish is that more aftermarket items would be available for the 4 cyl. Right now I have 150k on mine and it runs like it was brand new. Great vehicle and worth every penny I paid for it.

Best truck I ever owned
By robert cubberley on 10/10/09 19:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck from my dad who had gotten rear ended side swiped and hit head on in it but most of the damage was cosmetic except the head on - that one crushed the radiator. All the damage was repaired shortly after every accident. Even after all this the truck survived me, a young offroader that enjoyed getting the wheels off the ground. I beat that truck hard and she took it all in stride, oversized tires and all. I also got rear ended by a Honda Civic doing about 40 which made a v out of my rear bumper and dented the cab a little but she drove into the shop. One last rear ender from a 3/4 ton Dodge finally bent the frame. I would love to own one again.

My Yoda may last forever
By NAgreenComa on 03/26/09 14:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought yoda new in 1999. Aside from a major accident in 2007 ($16,000 in repairs), all I have done is routine maintenance and I am at 135,000 mi. Regular oil changes at every 5k and new breaks at 90k. I don't have a 4x4, but I take it muddin sometimes, and it makes we work hard to get it stuck (using the winch is half the fun). Aside from its stunning good looks and how fun it is to drive, it is extremely reliable. It always starts on the first turn, even in the cold.

Built Toyota Tough
By 1EarthMother on 08/12/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is one exceptional vehicle. Fuel economy is one minor drawback (17 mpg), but the rest of the pluses outweigh the slight fuel economy problem. Anyone who gets a higher number must have 60 lbs. of air in the tires and driving with a 75 mph tailwind. My truck is almost 10 yrs old and I still feel confident to drive it cross-country and back again. I honestly feel this truck will last forever.

Tough little truck
By larry P on 03/31/08 10:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have replaced the exhaust manifold, rear leaf springs, and the universal joint at the differential twice. It does not burn or leak oil. The steering gear and suspension are tighter than a friends much newer full- size domestic truck with 1/6th the miles. Manual transmission and original clutch.

I will never trade this truck!
By Tacoma Lover on 01/06/08 19:37 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck with 32k odo and now have 106k. One water pump and normal maintenance is all. The mechanic at dealership wanted to buy on the spot when changing timing belt. I cannot part with this truck. Overall, 20 - 21 mpg combined (v6, 4wd, x-cab). AC is excellent (Tx resident). V6 has plenty of power. Towing is good as long as you use draw tight hitch - towed over 5500 short distance with no problem.