2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Blizzard Pearl Prius
By tomtsotsis

2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In life sometimes you make mistakes and end up buying a Prius. Overall the car gives you so much you can't really hate it like you should. It took me to New York and back with 3 huge suitcases in the trunk and 5 people 500 miles roundtrip cost me 20 bucks. It is comfortable for long trips and is very quiet. I am impressed with the quality of the bluetooth and the entertainment system and I overall like the interior and exterior style and design. It drives fine. It is meant to be the work horse that will get save me in gas. When your stuck in traffic life is great in a Prius the engine turns off. I had some issues with the car from the start but eventually toyota fixed it after a few attempts

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, bluetooth, car style.

Suggested Improvements

Power!! It needs about 100 more HP and I would be willing to pay for it to be a little rocket. Toyota we want more power from this quiet unassuming car. Also the handling is like a boat and it needs to shed those little training wheels immediately. Many negative connotations exist with driving a Prius all the Hummers will be trying to run you over but the Police would never stop a Prius and the insurance is half the cost of another car. It is a wonderful little car but it needs more wow factor it is a little bland as a daily thing.

2014 prius 2
By 1bravo2

After reading the reviews and inquiring with my coworkers that owned a prius, and assuring me that they get the 50mpg, I decided to buy one for myself and one for my daughter. Even the salesman told me that you drive it like a regular car. Well six months later, I now believe that i was lied to or the car was overrated on the ease of getting 50mpg. The reality is the car computer calculates 3mpg over of what I actually get, by miles driven verses fuel used. If you drive it normal you get low 40s. To get to the 50s you need to coast or try to keep it in electric mode as much as possible while everybody else is passing you. You stay busy and it is a head ache to drive it to get the miles.

Favorite Features

Styling, bluetooth, trunk space. If you were to drive the regular gas car like you need to drive the prius to achieve the high gas milage, your regular gas car mpg would be a lot hihger too.

Suggested Improvements

Other prius drivers would tell me that you use the electric battery to get you moving and that is where the fuel saving is. Not so, electric is useless at start, even ev mode is only good for a few uses and you have to gradually accelerate while other cars are waiting for you. The battery is too weak to make it usefull at starts, it needs a stronger battery that can get you to 30 mph every time from a stop and than have the engine take over. Bottom line, do not believe my review or others. Rent a prius or other car you wish to buy, drive it for the day on fwy and street and make your own decision. Cars and appliances you can not return. And remember a car salesman is not your friend.

Very competent at everything
By tcmat

2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Not hard to see why they call this car "iconic" - it performs very well in every category. It's a geek's car in every good sense; the techy dash keeps you informed of your efficiency, and encourages you to drive intelligently; the 50mpg average is easily attainable. Plenty of room front and rear; I'm 6ft-3in, and can set driver's seat for me, and still be comfortable in the driver-side back. Comfortable ride, good pickup on twisty hills, and good cargo capacity with seats folded (seats up, still a good grocery hauler). Not a flashy sporty car, but does the job it's built to do, and does it in solid Toyota style.

Favorite Features

Smooth hybrid system (I LOVE the silent startup and drive-away!), nav+Entune, smooth ride, simple solid interior, easy lifting hatchback

Suggested Improvements

Backup camera could use "guide-lines" to aid parking; overly bulky center shift-console ("flying bridge") steals some knee side-room; radio/nav screen washes out in sunlight, needs anti-glare development; some optical distortion in compound-curving lower rear glass beneath rear spoiler

2014 Prius "3" Model - Bought 5/25/2014
By brian20675

Me:6'3"(240 lbs) "tall back" Headroom (good): few inches to spare legroom (good): would be nice if the steering wheel telescoped a few more inches toward me, so I could move the seat back more. (can live with it though - not unsafe to drive). legroom width (good) - plenty of side2side room visibility (good): Rear View is just a little restricted. Would be nice if side view mirrors were larger/larger field of view. display (good): placed away from driver for ease of viewing. -smooth ride so far (new car) -quick acceleration when needed -back head/leg room (ok) -It's a commuter car (mpg=priority#1), not a luxury sedan. Toyota did an awesome job.

Favorite Features

-great MPG! -good front head (for tall-backed persons) -good front leg room & side2side legroom. -instrument panel placed far in front( don't need to move eyes straight down and away from road to view important functions.) -good acceleration when needed (just step on the gas pedal) -good visibility out front/sides. -good instrument/lever placement -good smooth ride so far (expected in new car) -good cabin decibels (not loud) -strong A/C system/blower -voice-guided GPS -XM stereo -good trip metrics (function to track monthly gas expense.) -4 or 5 star safety rating. needed for small cars (just in case..) -good cargo room (+ rear seats fold if more room needed)

Suggested Improvements

1) Give the telescoping steering column more telescope length, so tall drivers can push the seat back more to straighten our legs a little more for comfort. 2) Make the side view mirrors larger so we can see more of the road. 3) Give about 1-2 more inches of rear seat headroom for tall persons. *These are the most noticeable features I would improve after owning and driving the car for two days. Other than that, I think Toyota has developed an awesome commuter car that is both safe to drive (rating-wise) and nice/futuristic looking.

Nice car, which it was less boring though.
By 36annie

2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My third Prius. Unfortunately. I had to buy this car because my wife is an eco-freak, and she swears by Toyotas too. Our old one was so boring, my teenage son crashed it when he fell asleep in stop and go traffic. This one is the same, much to my chagrin. I really try to like this car though, as it is the one I have to drive. It's got an okay stereo, and with my experiences with Toyota, these cars are really reliable too, and this one hasn't left me stranded apart from the time I had a blowout (they don't include spares :P). It's obviously got great gas mileage too. All in all, this is an okay car, but i just wish it was a tiny bit more lively!

Favorite Features

Good stereo. Bluetooth is cool. Supportive seats. Roomy inside. Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Make it faster. Make it accelerate faster. Make it less boring looking. Make the interior nicer. Offer more colors.