favorite of the Taliban
By hugho on
1994 Toyota Pickup DX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB
This is my first Toyota Truck. I have 2 dodge cummins 4x4s and this is my new favorite 4x4. I purchased the truck very cheaply because it was overdue on maintenance and was involved in a fender bender. She needed front axles,brakes, service all around, tires, replacement of lubricants and a tune up including valve adjustment and timing chain inspection as well as some simple replacement of body panels and belts and hoses etc. I am a mechanic who can work on any vehicle and my impression of the truck is it's durable, overbuilt and easy to service and replace parts. The 4 cyl has excellent economy, the V6 is very poor by contrast and access is tighter than in the 4.
Favorite Features
Excellent fuel economy, load carrying and off road capability with large overbuilt drive components comparable to conventional American pickups, superb road clearance and reliable easy to service powerplant and drivetrain. Good economy:26 mpg on the hwy. Chevy 6 bolt wheels even bolt up.
Suggested Improvements
Crappy bench seat, flimsy bumpers and brittle plastic dash but if you can find a 4 cyl 5 spd 4x4 in decent condition, buy it! Avoid automatics and V6 models for their lousy economy. A 2500 lb pickup should get better than 12-18 mpg! The 4 cyl 5 speed is a jewel.