NOISE FROM BEHIND
By nouxiong on
2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I bough a toyota Highlander xle awd 2014, and i have a issue 2 weeks after my purchase. When i step on the break, and release it, i hear a strange noise from behind. I send it to my Toyota dealer, and they said that all Toyota on the lot have that problem. It will be my last Toyota made in the Us. Do not buy Toyota people........
By acamp2
on 08/03/14 14:29 PM (PDT)

Cars with added features do exhibit different driving characteristics. Example, antilock brakes when operated produce a vibration when applied but is safe and that's how you know its doing its job. Cars with lots of technology will run through checks with its onboard computer when the car is started etc. and therefore produce 'sounds' you may not be used to especially when coming from a much older vehicle. The idea that you heard a 'strange noise' coming from the rear and is therefore denouncing all Toyota cars as a 'don't buy' makes me wonder what your real intentions are here and if you really are even an owner.

By heart13
on 08/14/14 22:55 PM (PDT)

After finally deciding to buy a Toyota car and a LE less than a month ago that on the first week I had it, it is making a loud popping noise from what sounds like the front when I release the parking brake. I even recorded it. I am now dealing with the service dept. and they say it is 'normal' and it does that when on an incline due to the tension, but I am on level ground when it does that and only one other new Highlander on the lot made a softer version of that sound. My former (for now) private owner mechanic heard it and said that it is not a normal thing especially on a brand new car. This is not a high-tech sound and I hope they will do the right thing by showing some concern and replace the system as one method to potentially correcting this problem. I pray that I don't have a lemon after all the Toyota reputation and former reliability! I will keep posting updates. Anyone else with this unfortunate problem?