2000 Toyota Corolla VE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2000 Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sort Reviews by

Slightly disappointed
By jds2805

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Perhaps I got a dud but I was disappointed. I kept up all maintanence. But at 194k miles the transmission went out, shocks went out, gasket blew and alternator died. 194k miles for a Toyota is to soon for transmission and engine problems. Especially since the early 90s models are going 250k+ miles with no problems. It did get great gas mileage and maintanence was cheap. I'd still take Toyota over Ford or Dodge any day.

My 2000 Corolla still kicking butt at 151,000 miles
By travis30

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car recently from a Ford dealership of all places(haha!) for 4,300 and although that price may be high, I didn't leave the lot with the car until I comfortable that it was in great running condition. And it was, and still is. Stupid check engine light was on when I bought it, but ignored it. Had autozone check it,P0171 bank 1 fuel mixture too lean(rough idle is all I noticed). So I bought 2 new bosch o2 sensors(pre and post catalytic), a bosch fuel pump, 2 rear Monroe econo matic quik struts, new bosch spark plugs, stp air filter, oil change(bosch oil filter), didn't need anyone of these parts but I got them anyways. Runs perfect, not a single problem. MY FAVORITE CAR.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, reliability, ease of installation of parts yourself even if you have to rent special tools from autozone, ignition over plug spark plug configuration(no spark plug wires), big trunk, very good gas mileage, dependable. just maintain it like you're supposed to, get the parts replaced that eventually break down, and you'll have a great car for many years and many, many 1,000's of miles. Mine is at 151K and I plan to make it 250K or more!

Suggested Improvements

Small. Seats are uncomfortable. I'm a small guy, smaller than my wife, and the seats back area is very uncomfortable and you can't adjust it like you can on other cars where the air lets out you know on the lower back area. Cup holders in an inconvenient spot. ashtray is right below. I'm a smoker. I can't smoke a cigarette and drink a pop at the same time. sun visors are low quality. very thin. backseat area is cramped, even for my 3 small kids. Is there a known problem with Toyota Corolla's displaying the Check Engine Light for NO reason?

Now this is a Toyota
By jjimbo

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I got this car used from my cousin. It had been in two different accidents and was still going strong. This model of Toyota could not be killed. Everything worked, motor sang like a sewing machine and looked very neat and clean. The only thing I didn't like was the size of the inside.

Never let me down
By sylvia713

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I got my 2000 toyota corolla when i was 19 for my first car and i just now (4 years later) got rid of it because it was to small, i have a baby now and the backseat is not very big. Besides the lack of space my corolla was awesome, only thing i ever had to to do was routine maintenance! Awesome first car. If your not worried about space i definitely recommend a corolla cant beat toyota reliability!

Suggested Improvements

More interior space.

It Just Won't Die
By Huck

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We've used this car as a daily commuter and grocery getter for over seven years and it still hangs tough. The check engine light stays on for no reason that the mechanic can find, but it still runs well. One day we'll move up to something more modern, but for basic, economical transportation it will still be running around town when today's Dodge Calibers and Nissan Versas are toast. Those who survive the apocalypse will be driving Corollas.

Favorite Features

Cheap to run, good on gas and not terribly embarrassing to be seen in. The trunk is pretty roomy and you can park it anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Hard plastic armrest should go as should the cheap sun visors. The cup holders are useless and the backseat is a bit cramped.

Great Car Great Value
By BG

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I'm a college student with a very limited budget so I needed something reliable and at a good price. Since my summer job requires about 800 miles of driving a month in my own car and I drive the 200 miles to see my fiance as much as possible fuel economy was important. Therefore I went with the Corolla. It has been a GREAT decision. With about 28 mpg in the city I was making a decent amount on my gas check. Have had no mechanical problems and previous owner showed me his maintenance record with no abnormal maintenance. It only has a 4 cylinder engine but because of its small size it picks up great. Granted I was used to driving a 97 Chevy Astro and a 92 Pontiac transport but this is sweet!

Favorite Features

MPG, turning radius, reliability, easiness of doing my own oil changes.

Suggested Improvements

Being 6'6" this is not the ideal fit for me, but the MPG, make up for that. Burns about a quart of oil between changes.

Very Economical
By ali

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I have the 2000 VE corolla with the 4sp automatic and I just wanted to day that it's been a wonderful tough car. Drove on deep Canadian snow, hot humid summer days and in heavy thunderstorms and it always got me there. It's been 10 years and 200,000 miles and people say the car specially the interior doesn't look ten years old and it doesn't have the stench that other old cars do. Planning to run it down another 60,000 miles before buying a new corolla. The tranny and engine combo on this car is great and I love the fact that u can disable overdrive, helps u accelerate quickly on highway and when your done turn it back on and u can cruise quietly at 60mph. This Cars ride is really soft too.

Favorite Features

I loved the 4 speed transmission with over-drive off feature. Makes for quick acceleration and engine braking. Fuel mileage is good but could be better I average 28 mpg mostly city.

Suggested Improvements

This 2zz engine has a lot of potential and Toyota should tune it to 180hp or at least 160hp similar to the how it performed on the '05 XRS model. Please improve interior material, it feels too cheap. Expand leg room and make telescopic steering standard.

Motor went
By Tracy Humphrey

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Our car started burning oil after just 4 years of owning it. We kept taking it back to the dealer with no luck on getting it fixed. We just kept putting oil into it every week. Then the motor went at 212,000. We were shocked. We will never buy another Toyota again after what we went through.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Make sure the motor doesn't burn oil.

I got rid of it!
By Kana

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I purchased Corolla on the basis of staunch quality history. Unfortunately, I got nothing but issues. No Kidding! Here they are: Exhaust manifold flange gasket, all 4 power window motors, rear engine main seal, instrument cluster lights went out, inner tie rod, and huge vibration at 65mph. Yes, the car never got me stuck on the road, but I think I'll stick with other more reliable quality vehicles out there.

Favorite Features

Only gas mileage was good. I should say reliability, but I can't considering the issues I faced.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of components. They don't make 'em like they used to!

Oil Burner
By Oil Burner

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This car has 220,000 miles on it and consumes tons of oil. Weekly it will "use" 2 qts. of oil. It doesn't leak, it doesn't smoke... so where does it go? I just refill it and go. This car is stout and handles very well except in the snow. 220,000 miles and it is still strong. I just have to buy stock in an oil distribution company. Nothing beats Toyota!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Overdrive and anti-lock brakes standard.