Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Car of the century
By dorell

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I'm happy with Corolla I got, because is very reliable, no ifs and buts about it. Also is excellent in gas mileage department, especially for the size of the car. I'm a tall guy, and I fit inside, just enough to be happy with it. A little smaller, and it would be a different opinion, and I'm 6"1. Another thing I didn't know about this car, is, that is very cheap to fix too, for an import. Easy access to all car parts, and also it has an amazingly big trunk. What can I say, except that I will try to upgrade the year of it, and that I recommend it , to all people, and more to ones that do a lot of driving to work every day.

High mileage out of a gas tank. Sharp turning.

I would like to have the steering wheel tilt feature and more selections for the wiper's delayed speeds.

Most Reliable Car ever Made!!
By dblock1283

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This 1999 corolla is absolutely amazing. More reliable than any Honda I've owned. 200,000 miles, I've put on 40k of them in 2 years and only have done oil changes. The car is way more comfortable than civic or integra of same year, ride is smooth and power is sufficient.

Super reliable, never have to fix it (except the inside door handles, but those are easy and cheap!)

Inside door handles is the ONLY part of the car that breaks

Never owned such a great car
By eddyman1983

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year with 200 000 km on it for 900 bucks. Changed the 4 shocks(didn't have to but back end sagged a bit) and changed the oil. Doesn't burn oil still and now has 240 000. I have never seen a car so reliable. car handles great, even better that my accord. Once a honda man, now a toyota man. I'll keep it until i fall through the floor.

Could not kill it!
By themanindbox

1999 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

Well, I owned a 99 corolla from new until 2005 when I sold it for 4 grand. At that point it had a little over 315K miles on it, didn't burn oil, no lights, and everything that was in it worked. I had to replace oil every 3k miles, but that is about it. It handled better then a civic, got better mpg, and was faster off the line, not to mention cheaper to insure. I would love to get my hands on a 99 corolla with a blown motor with the options I had in mine, it is a perfect candidate for a 2zz swap. I have owned over 18 cars in my life, and nothing on the planet will take a beating like a Toyota. Not Honda, and nothing American can come close.

Power everything; Moonroof true stick shift

Window regulators did not work correctly and would require you to hold the glass to get it to close correctly. (Recalled about 2 years after I sold it)

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder
By kenwid1988

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Corolla VE out of desperation. Needed something to replace my 1993 Accord with almost 300K miles (no kidding). I wish I would have taken my time, because I'm not loco for this car. It is too basic. I bought it in Nov. 2007 with 76K miles for $9K! I felt it was too much, but OMG it was a Toyota. Quality this, quality that. Yeah, this car can take a beating, and still run its little sluggish heart. But it is ugly in the back LOL! It looks mad as hell in the back with it's squinting eye taillight design LOL! It's probably mad that it can't perform worth words I cannot say at church. If ANYTHING, get an LE model and not the VE, at least you can have power everything. VERY LEAST!

Hmmm... It can start up?

Too late, this model is long gone!