1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Never owned such a great car
By eddyman1983 on 05/24/13 16:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year with 200 000 km on it for 900 bucks. Changed the 4 shocks(didn't have to but back end sagged a bit) and changed the oil. Doesn't burn oil still and now has 240 000. I have never seen a car so reliable. car handles great, even better that my accord. Once a honda man, now a toyota man. I'll keep it until i fall through the floor.

Could not kill it!
By themanindbox on 05/22/13 15:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

Well, I owned a 99 corolla from new until 2005 when I sold it for 4 grand. At that point it had a little over 315K miles on it, didn't burn oil, no lights, and everything that was in it worked. I had to replace oil every 3k miles, but that is about it. It handled better then a civic, got better mpg, and was faster off the line, not to mention cheaper to insure. I would love to get my hands on a 99 corolla with a blown motor with the options I had in mine, it is a perfect candidate for a 2zz swap. I have owned over 18 cars in my life, and nothing on the planet will take a beating like a Toyota. Not Honda, and nothing American can come close.

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder
By kenwid1988 on 12/24/12 08:50 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Corolla VE out of desperation. Needed something to replace my 1993 Accord with almost 300K miles (no kidding). I wish I would have taken my time, because I'm not loco for this car. It is too basic. I bought it in Nov. 2007 with 76K miles for $9K! I felt it was too much, but OMG it was a Toyota. Quality this, quality that. Yeah, this car can take a beating, and still run its little sluggish heart. But it is ugly in the back LOL! It looks mad as hell in the back with it's squinting eye taillight design LOL! It's probably mad that it can't perform worth words I cannot say at church. If ANYTHING, get an LE model and not the VE, at least you can have power everything. VERY LEAST!

I love my Sandpiper!
By taylorruckus on 10/15/12 09:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

My great-grandmother bought this car new, and when she passed it went onto my grandmother, and now it's mine. With 265,000 miles on it, this car is so unbelievably reliable! I have never broken down. Its only problems are a leak in the power steering fluid (an $800 fix, but no problem if you just top off the fluid every other week), broken interior lights and weak door handles that break every couple of years. This car is such a ridiculous value if you need something that will get you where you need to go-- and I get at least 29 miles to the gallon, sometimes more.

Best Car in History
By huaiti323 on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $4000 almost 3 years ago. have changed only tires, filters and the serpentine. The a/c is amazing, the MPG are great. The only problems are cosmetic like the center drawer door broke and the interior roof covering is peeling off. I bought it in Florida and recently shipped it to Puerto Rico and it is still unstoppable with 168,000 miles and counting!

Love this car!
By willkeepitforever on 08/21/10 22:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

My husbands car has almost 200,000 mi on it and you just can't kill it! It just goes forever if you keep up with oil changes every 3k and proper maint. I just wish they would make it roomier for people up to 5'8" -6' tall. That is truly the only complaint. I am only too happy to get a small economical car that is a good buy! Not to mention tremendous resale value. I spoke to two owners that have sold their 1999 Toyota Corolla's between $2,300.00 - 3,200.00. Just goes to show the public still has confidence in Toyota! I used to be a Honda person, but switched to Toyota after two of my Honda's needed a Transmission at 180,000 mi. - Bye Bye Honda! Just bought two more Toyotas for my family

Outstanding
By Jacob on 07/20/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I received this car from my aunt and uncle when I got my license. Since then, it's been in 2 wrecks (1 major, 1 minor) and it's still going strong. The mpg are amazing. I can get to and from Toledo (about 2 hour drive both ways) with only $20 bucks.

This car is amazing!
By rodnygil on 04/27/10 15:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Corolla for 500 dollars with 60,000 from someone who hit a tree and left the car to sit in an alley. I purchased a new front bumper, headlights and windshield and fixed the car. I am still driving the car 3 years later and have put 70,000 miles later. The car runs strong, I have only bought tires, oil changes and a battery. This car is amazing and is great on gas. The car is a bit slow especially when merging on the freeway but what does a person expect from a Corolla. I will buy another Corolla without hesitation. Thank You Toyota. I love my cheap little car.

You Get Your Money's Worth
By Dr. Storch on 08/18/09 13:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This is the second 99 VE I have owned. The first one was totaled with 112K on the ODO and that car needed nothing. My current VE was purchased three years ago with 69K on the ODO. I now have 165K on the ODO and I only had to replace the alternator and the usual things like a battery and tires. The only problem I have now is that the CEL comes on indicating a problem within the EVAP system. This can be costly to repair. The car is now burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I always change the oil every 5k and listen to what my mechanic tells me. I happen to have a very honest mechanic which is very hard to find! If I can find one to replace this one for the right $ I will!

I must have got the lemon
By Jason on 07/23/09 22:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of its reputation with reliability and good fuel economy. I put aside my thirst for a sporty car and decided this car would be more practical. However, this car has had the craziest electrical problems. With only 80,000 miles on the car, while driving on the highway, the speedometer dies and the transmission will not shift out of first gear. It only happens in the summer if it has been sitting in the sun, or if I am driving on the highway in the winter with the heater on, so heat is obviously a factor. No mechanic has been able to fix it and I have spent around 1,000 dollars trying to get this problem fixed.