6 month follow-up review.
By Ray on
2011 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I reviewed the Camry here back in April. Here's my perspective after 6 months/9,000 miles. I still love the design. The paint is holding up well, although dings come easily without the body-side molding. As mine is the base Camry with 6 speed auto, power is merely adequate. The transmission continues to hunt through the gears on anything other than flat surfaces. I use the sport shift feature to make best use of the engine's torque range. The cruise control has a hard time maintaining a set speed in hilly sections. It drops off pace, then suddenly downshifts the transmission and races up to speed, making you look like you're racing the driver next to you. It feels clumsy.
Favorite Features
Plenty of space and storage. Comfortable seats. Excellent view from the driver's seat, although it took me some time to judge the length of the nose of the car when parking. Base stereo is fine for my purposes. Hi-beam headlights are amazing. Low- beams not so much. Great fuel economy.
Suggested Improvements
Besides the transmission's hunting issue, the road noise is just unacceptable for a car of this class. The roads I drive on are far from smooth, but every tiny rock, groove or surface deformity echoes through the driver's cabin. I've driven the SE V- 6 model and it too transmits lots of road noise