1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
like my avalon
By jimbo1 on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I'm the original owner - no problems. Boringly dependable. Not the best looking car on the road, but kind of sleek in an ugly large sedan way. Pretty good mileage - 27 highway, 21 city. Smooth steady ride. surprising acceleration. quiet. good visibility

Not Satisfied
By tagll on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

1996 & 1997 only us aftermarket wheels that cannot be balanced correctly even by Toyota . The Toyota dealer where I purchased the car new told me the wheels were discontinued because of complaints. I agree! I will not return to Toyota for my next vehicle because they did not take care of this problem on my present one.

my avalon
By pmp on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

i love my car, it's beautiful, fun to drive, and above all else very dependable

eh.....
By infinitijw on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

its an ok car... its not exciting not fast, not technological, but it is safe and reliable. i also own an infiniti and it makes the avalon look quite sad. ive seen the new avalons and they look so much better, i guess they didnt figure out how ugly their cars were till about 2000. anyways its still an ok car, an economical one for families that need space.

Cruising Machine
By JCBMinn on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 97 Avalon used with 48K Miles, now have 68K. Only problem was the front strut mounts had to be replaced (not in warranty) which is a common problem for this year. But don't get me wrong, this is a great car that I will keep to well over 100K miles. Rides smooth, classy car with lots of rear leg room and good size trunk. Toyota quality can be seen and felt all thru the car. I recommend the XLS version, the little extras are worth it.

Best of Class
By magfer2 on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

The Avalon is a great car when price, build quality, features, and size are key points. The Avalon boasts a spacious interior (especially rear) has a large trunk without looking bulky from the exterior. It is a great highway cruiser with plenty of power while getting great gas mileage. The interior is excellent with awesome materials and great placement of all instruments etc. Best of all for some reason its second hand value seems to be on par of that of the Camry or other comparable autos while it is in fact a far superior car.

This is the Flagship vehicle?
By amazingarthur on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I am somewhat dissapointed with the quality of this car. The interior edges that meet the door when closed have frayed terribly. There is a rattle from the ignition that the dealership can do nothing about. A few electrical gremlins have set off the rear tailight dummy light on the dash. Can't figure out why. The trunk release mechanism doesn't always work. Ah, the myth of Toyota quality.

I'd buy another one today
By as400guy on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

If I needed a new car today, I'd buy another Avalon...sight unseen.

After two years with Avalon
By Edward on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 Avalon XL (bench front seat) two years ago and I really enjoying this car. Previously I owned Nissan Maxima, Lincoln Mark VII, BMW 528 and Lincoln Towncar but none of these cars made to 80000 miles without ANY problems. What I like the most about Avalon its RELAIBLE, it's big, quiet and comfortable. The only thing I don’t like in this car is design of radio and CD changer (Not dashboard). I would recommend this car to anybody who is looking for passenger car.

Best full-size
By Clay on 03/14/02 00:54 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This model is known to have power steering and front end rattle problems, but if you can get past that, it's a great car to own. Rear seat is quite roomy for adults. This car gets you full-sized car features with the quality of a Japanese made car. The 200 HP 3.3l engine has plenty of power. The rear suspension is a bit flat with a full load, though.