1996 Suzuki Sidekick SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:
Best fit my needs.
By hj on 12/26/09 17:35 PM (PST)

1996 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted a vehicle that was 4wd, got reasonable fuel ecomomy, could tow behind motor home, ample power, reliable, hunt in, drive across the USA w/o being beat to death, had plenty of headroom. This fit the bill. I have replaced the clutch, front wheel bearings, fan cooling clutch, reworked brakes, and replaced ignition coils. At 144000 mi. and 12 yrs. going strong!

This car wouldn't die
By Gentle Ben on 10/21/09 16:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JS 4dr SUV

I loved this car. I had the full SUV, hardtop, 4dr version. Out of date looking even in 96. Sadly I did not take very good care of this vehicle but the car hung very tough with the neglect. In the 8 years I owned it I had to replace a battery and adjust the clutch linkage and weld a broken clutch pedal. That's it. ... Good MPG (27 hwy or city), extremely reliable, utilitarian, tough to the bone, fun. But boxy, square edges and narrow frame made it a whipsaw on the highway. Also sheet metal is paper thin and seemingly weak structure may not make this a family type / safe vehicle. Very spartan inside and an odd-looking vehicle outside. But... my favorite car ever.

Sidekick Sport
By Jasen44 on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Sport JX 4dr SUV 4WD

Its a great vehicle and very reliable. Only problem was 2 wheel bearings at 70,000, when I bought it. The ride is pretty good, but some road noise. Amazing gas milage-24-26 in 4x4. 25-27 in 2 wheel drive!! The sport edition comes with a 1.8L 4 cylinder. That to is somewhat underpowered.

I love my Suzuki
By Chef on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this vehicle used with about 30,000 miles and I love it The only items that have really given me trouble was a tie rod end and 1 hub and that was at 100,000 miles other then that I have done nothing except a tune up and brakes on this vehicle.

I love my Suzuki
By chef on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Reliable but ugly
By JLite5784 on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this relatively high mileage (over 100k in 2000) sidekick for use at my second home in the NC mountains. None of my other vehicles have four wheel drive, so I needed a cheap and reliable vehicle to drive in the winter. This thing is anemic in normal driving, but for its low price and winter-driving ability, it can't be beat.