2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Love it EXCEPT the windshield
By Mary

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek less than a year ago. At first it was very sluggish when accelerating from a complete stop (did fine if already in motion). This improved after I drove it hard for a few months. Gas mileage is fabulous at 30-31 mpg on my daily commute. I don't like the cruise control system as it breaks hard going downhill to keep exactly at the set mph (I have alot of hills on my drive). I noticed also that the cruise system depletes my mpg as well, due to the frequent braking/accelerating. I have not had any issues with acceleration/passing in the mountains of CO like some other reviewers. Handling and stability are awesome, especially in snow and mud (even better than my Dodge Ram 1500). Being short I am very comfortable in any of the seats and with entry/exit. However, my 6ft 2in husband hates getting in and out of it, but he is comfortable once in the vehicle. Bluetooth is pointless as no one can hear/understand me while the car is in motion. I have not had a single mechanical issue. However, I would advise that if you live in an area with gravel roads, gravel is used on roads for winter traction, or go to the mountains frequently not to get the EyeSight. It requires a "dealership only" glass to replace the windshield so that the EyeSight will calibrate right. Windshield repair places in my area say they have a contractual obligations with Subaru to use the "dealer only" glass. I am on my THIRD windshield in less than a year! And one of the windshields, I drove cracked in three different areas through the winter. I knew if was replaced it would be chipped and cracked within days. One month is the longest I have gone without a cracked windshield. Once chipped, each time the windshield has cracked within minutes, making it impossible for me to get it in for chip repair vs full windshield repair. I was three car lengths behind the other vehicles when the chips happened, and one chip was from a rock thrown by a truck going the opposite direction on a two lane road. So not a matter of driving habits, just thin crappy glass.

Disapointing experience
By Carolyn

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This was my first new car purchanse in 12 years. I buy quality and drive it forever. I drove my Honda CRV for 11 years, until she got totalled by hail. I wanted a make that would hold it's value as well as the CRV did. Subaru seemed like a good choice. I also got a smokin deal, which is a good thing, since I'm selling it after only 18 months. This vehicle does a few things well. It's awesome in the snow. I've passed big trucks stuck in the drifts to get where I was going using a slow and steady approach. Which is odd, since the vehicle has no guts. It has poor acceleration and drags going up a hill. Passing is a white knuckle thing. I didn't think I would mind the reduction in power because of the fuel efficiency. It is very efficient. In fact, I ran out of gas a couple times because it would go so far on a single tank, I'd forget to get gas. But after only 18 months, I'm shopping for something else. I don't understand why Subaru would make such a sporty car, and have no upgrades to give it more pep. The vehicle is not comfortable. I didn't realize this just zipping to work and around town, but a trip into the mountains and I was shifting this way and that, could not get comfortable for a long hall. It's really loud when it shifting up, and this takes a ridiculously long time. The blue tooth is aweful, people always ask me to pick up my phone cause they can't hear me. What's the point in that? I've had a lot of weird electronic stuff too. Like..I get in the car and it tells me the phone is not connected. I have to turn the engine off to "reboot" and then it works fine. I've had various "check engine" lights come on, and then stay off the next time I start the car. I did take it in, and the service from the dealer has been excellent. But it's too intermitent for them to diagnose.This is the prettiest crossover out there, which is what got me in trouble. Don't be fooled though, you cant see the ouside when your driving!

2015 xv crosstrek
By ramraider

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very loud while driving (wind noise), Blue tooth goes in and out a lot, Very cheap paint job, paint is peeling for no reason , some of the interior plastic parts pop off just touching them. Mine is a deep red. ivory inside. Other than these complaints, I LOVE this car. In snow or rain it handles great. Will be trading it after having it for a little over a year because of the paint job It will prob rust out quickly with the paint chipping and peeling the way it does. . Have talked to others about this and they have the same problem.

Crosstrek "Hybrid" mediocre fuel economy
By Robert

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Plain and simple..we bought a fake hybrid Crosstrek, at a 3000 + dollar discount. Thank goodness because we got out of it in a year. Car got barely 25 mpg overall. Hybrid system used only electric power for seconds at a time. Car shuts off which is supposed to help mileage. What a joke, car would start and stop several times at a red light and if you need to crawl forward a few feet would kick back on with a startling jolt. Instrumentation is crude at best. Very difficult to navigate the info screen, not intuitive at all. Road noise is completely unacceptable. Plain loud. Back seats cramped for a vehicle this size and the trunk is miniscule due to battery placement. Factory stereo is a joke. Horrible experince in a new car. Had a previous older model Forester that was a better car than this. Only saving grace was the huge discount, enabling us to trade into something else. We leased a Cadillac SRX AWD at a great deal, paying about 75 dollars a month more for a much, much better car. The huge Caddy with its big engine and hefty weight manages 18 mpg overall. If you need something AWD and affordable look elsewhere.

Love My Crosstrek!
By Gee Clark

2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it! Very good acceleration and performance. Very stable. Excellent design. Better mileage than advertised. I was a Honda CRV owner before, and was afraid to change makers, however there is NOTHING I am disappointed in my Crosstrek. I am a one happy Subaru owner!