Used 2004 Scion xA Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Scion Xa - Consumer Reviews

2004 Scion xA

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Bad Wheel Bearings and Tires
By bosco

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

There is a problem with the xA's tires. The 185/65r 15s that it comes with are hard to find and very costy. Also, its wheel bearing are too light for the car. Toyota had this problem with the Echo as well.

Favorite Features

The great engine.

Suggested Improvements

The bumper to bumper warranty should provide full coverage, not just for the drivetrain. Stop calling it bumper to bumper...IT IS NOT

Not for anyone over 5 feet tall
By The Science guy

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car allows me to commute for about the same price as my motorcycle, and about the same level of safety too. I truly love this car's ability to get me from LA to SF for less than fifty bucks. The stereo is great and I can fit a drum set in the back with room to spare. The car is actually quite quick if it has a manual transmission. It can park almost anywhere (i.e. double parking on standard sized driveways).

Favorite Features

stereo, engine, storage capacity

Suggested Improvements

I have found the front seat to be so incredibly uncomfortable that I cannot drive for more than ten minutes without the experience becoming excruciating. The symptoms are similar to having pinched nerve in the middle section of the spine, causing numbness in the chest and arms.

Not Bad, but also Not Good Enough
By calimania

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

First thing I should say is... I like this car. It's well-built, all-around- not-bad features.. I'm satisfied with this car. However, the most factor that affected me to buy it is definitely the PRICE!

Favorite Features

Not much.. Scion is a low-entry division. How can you expect much from the price?

Suggested Improvements

just good. Keep the Low price! Toyota got too much expensive thesedays...

Scion xA - Alot of bang for the buck. Mediocre performance.
By rx1

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven and owned several cars in my driving experience. I have had mixed feeling about this car. Pros Comes relatively loaded for the sticker price. Good mpg, 32-ish. Good solid manual transmission. Impressive reliability. Surprisingly roomy. Cons Sluggish response from a buzzy, noisy engine. You have to be willing to rev it hard, and downshift to achieve passing speed. Narrow wheel base, tall stance results in sloppy handling. Light weight and engine position result in unstable handling in snowbelt. Soundproofing is minimal. Long highway rides are noisy and tedious. I bought new. I lasted 4 years and 36k miles before selling.

Favorite Features

A ton of standard features. Good resale.

Suggested Improvements

Larger engine, slightly wider wheel base.

Good, but not Great Value
By ed

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Scion xA is a great commuter car, stick with the stock wheels. I got the 17 inch wheels and regret it every time I go over a bump or rough road.

Favorite Features

The hatchback is very practical.

Suggested Improvements

It should have more airbags. The car is small and needs every safety feature out there, don't skimp on this. Give it seats like the Honda Element has.