1998 Pontiac Trans Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trans Sport model:
Buy and it will die
By dklofta on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

"Stinks" is the rating. Nothing but problems and no support from Pontiac. Added adjusters to front wheels to get aligned, 1st year. Problems with the paint sticking on the hood, year 3. Replaced air shock, 2nd year. Tires went 14,000 miles. Rotors went, year 2. I need a new engine! Letters on the internet indicate the car has issues with coolant leaking into the oil. BOOM -- No engine! Extended warranty covered $0! Bubbling paint was not rust related. Engine had too many miles (94,000)! Tires, rooters, air shock excluded. Condensation in exterior lights is normal?

Not a good trade-in value
By keeshonden on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

With all the money spent on the vehicle, I was sorry to find out that my Pontiac Montana had virtually no trade-in value. The dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle did not want to give me more than 1500.

Pleased
By BW on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3dr Minivan

Owned for 1 year with no problems. Has plenty of power. With the standard length van means less weight to lug around.

1998 Transport Review
By Cincy Bearcat on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought my van new and have made many small problems. My overhead console message center has not been accurate since I purchased it. It was bake to the shop for a failed battery, radio reception, general tires going flat (They are supposed to be self sealing). I have had the tie rods replaced at 45,000. I have also filled the antifreeze reserior twice.

Just Traded Mine
By SpartanMan2 on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3dr Minivan

Owned my 98 for 4 years. Traded it in with 55,000 miles. Engine coolant leaked and brakes were squealing.

the good and the bad
By twagner on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

powerful engine, good trans, nice techno features in my upper end model, too many rattles and sqeaks, rear suspension terrible and too much road noise in rear, several little things have gone bad

15,211 of 15,211 people found this review helpful
Montana Van
By TDAWG on 03/01/02 18:24 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Overall the Montana is a very nice van. We bought it used, 2 years, with 34000 miles in great condition. I really like the van. The size, the easiness of loading/unloading, the pep in the 6 cylinder engine is more than enough, very quick and handles wonderfully, especially for a long/extnded mini-van. We love all the electronic gadgets but have had numerous 'little' problems with several of them.