Used 2002 Pontiac Aztek Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

2002 Pontiac Aztek

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:

This Aztek won't scalp you!
By M.D.Levine

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

No longer made..........Parts availability is diminishing for glass and body items, purchased new..
problems with rear lift gate from the get go.....never repaired properly at dealer. Now won.t open at all! Always been solid mechanically....paint durability is superior...paid for optional paint sealant, well worth extra fee. Still bright and shiny after 14+ years in Florida Sun. Typical GM interior issues, window switches, 4-Way seat switches,radio and steering wheel switches ;Top of Dash and steering wheel show sun exposure damage. This was an experiment by GM having produced car in Mexico. all my friends thought this car wouldn't last a couple of years, with due respect to the Mexican assembly plant this car was built well! When purchased I actually wasn't aware it was made in Mexico.

LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP
By Joe

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my aztek for its practicality and verstility. There s tons of room for my kids, dog and gear. Unfortunatley its got reliability issues. All the wheel bearing have been replaced, computers have failed. Versatrak rear differential was replaced for $6000. Head gasket leaked. Whats next? I m torn because I like the car so much but I m scared of whats going to break next. My next car is definately not going to be a GM.

Roomy, versatile, good driving characteristics for a vehicle of this size.

Better transmissions and rear differentials. Wheel bearings that last more than 2 years. Head gaskets that dont leak etc etc. What more can I say.

Great Car - Fun to Drive
By talia5307

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Aztek almost 7 years ago and have never regretted it. It now has 98000 miles on it and has only ever needed minor repairs (brakes, etc). I love that nothing else on the road looks like it, this is not your cookie cutter car for your cookie cutter neighborhood. The ride is smooth, quiet and comfortable and the car handles well in my northern Illinois winters even with just FWD. My only complaints are that the back seats don't fold flat, but not many 2002 vehicles do. Also, the bottom of the back window is totally flat, which leaves it almost always dirty.

Exterior styling, great stereo, cooler in front seat, lots of cargo room,

Fix somewhat large blind spots, better hatch release, larger wheels

My Aztec
By Hofmanms

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used from a private seller. Within about 4 months the BCM quit while driving to a wedding 300 miles away. Luckily this only affected electronics and I was able to continue with little more than inconvenience. Had the BCM replaced by the dealer for about 500. I dont think the A/C ever worked but I hear its a 1000 dollar fix so I wont. Despite these problems I love the car. It can handle snow better than any car I have seen and I live in upstate NY so I see real snow. I get a lot of compliments and you cant beat the tent option with the cooler. Very Happy with the Aztec

Great factory stereo, Beautiful in bad weather, decent gas mileage, Enough space for 5 people with 5 snowboards and snow equipment, Awesome for camping.

Quality of parts are questionable specifically BCM and A/C

We call it the "crapteck"
By aztec hater

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Loved the car at first! Very comfortable and roomy--fits 4 and a dog very comfortably. Was very excited to get our first SUV and loved it for about a year. The air conditioner died at about 17k, the head gasket at 30K, the hatch never opens, anti theft system locked up for no reason & cost about $500 to replace. Head gasket again at 120K. I have a $50,000 car after all of the repairs that have been made on it--wise to quit producing this vehicle.

Camping package, towing package