2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue Consumer Review: Old Used Car, still runs like

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Review

GX Sedan (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Old Used Car, still runs like new
By kjreinha on

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 4dr Sedan

OK, So I found one that really was owned by an 80+yr old couple. Our just bought, 62k miles Intrigue, really shocked me with it's smooth performance, handling, acceleration and ride. I cleaned some carbon off the BTRFLY valve in the throttle body because the pedal was a little sticky and dropped in a new PCV valve ($3) and this car runs again like it is brand new. Dealer had all the records and showed only typical maintenance, OTW all original. I am not partial to any brand, and this was used, but I have been very impressed with a 14+yr old car running this well and looking this good. My highschool kids feel pretty lucky to have such a nice car to drive.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling, ride comfort, stereo, HVAC, solid feel and very smooth performance from engine idle to shifting all over the performance map. I am an engineer by trade, so I tend to test things more than other people. This car perfoems like it is still very young, with no vibrations, squeaks, noises... Does not use oil or leak anywhere. Just seems like a well designed and manufactured car. Oh yeah, 18mpg city and almost 30mpg highway is pretty good for a large car.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the oil filter in the oil pan arrangement. I understand it may be a better system, more like what you see in European cars because it was designed to run there, but it is harder to change. I don't prefer the looks of the car, but that is more style preference and it is growing on me. It is very aerodynamic looking and I guess that helps mileage, but the looks seem kind of plane vanilla to me. Also, this is a GX so it does not happen to have traction control. It was optional when purchased. That has been a proven invention all cars should have.